Latest buzz-word / trend / sales pitch?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As a young girl I lived in a small town and I can remember a proper tailor having a small shop there. He had books filled with swatches of tweeds and other cloth and he made suits for both men and women, overcoats, jackets, skirts and waistcoats. You went in, chose your tweed or wool cloth from the swatches or the large rolls he already had in stock and and then you were measured for it, had at least one fitting where it would be tweaked and then collect the finished item about 2 weeks later.
My Dad had a suit made there in 1963, I remember it well because it was for my older brother`s wedding and when my Dad passed away in 2002 that suit was still in his wardrobe and had been worn for many funerals and weddings over its lifetime and was still as good as new.
My Mum was a very large lady and back in the 60`s there were few off the peg clothes for plus sizes and I recall her having a full length coat made for her by the same tailor, it was brown tweed with a velvet collar and she wore it for the rest of her life. Of course Dad`s suit and Mum`s coat would have cost equivalent to a small fortune back then, they were once in a blue moon considered purchases for which they must have saved hard but they were made to last and last.

I love the way you write.

Latest posts

Back