A Very Happy New Year To You All

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

"It’s actually cheaper to go away than host for a house full of ungrateful people"

I like that !

I think in some cases its not ungratefulness, but more a case of a lot of people just don't even consider to offer an input. Most haven't been brought up to think of others, to the point that they don't even arrive with so much as a box of chocs, so you can forget about receiving the delivered bouquet long after they've left !

The best lesson people can learn is to be the host, shop, cook, pay for it all on you own and hopefully they will never just plonk themselves on someone else year after year.

A friend in the village has played host to her extended family for years, and they've come to expect it. This year she told them that her and hubby were going away for the festivities - which was met with selfish groans by the hoards. She didn't go away, she stocked up her cupboard, kept the curtains drawn, and she enjoyed a few days of peaceful bliss with her husband.

Gosh, they must have been an awful bunch of relatives. It's a shame she had to do that...Wonder if they read this forum?

I know there is a lot on SM about people asking the family to pay when they come for Christmas dinner and having hosted Christmas for 20 years plus I know just how expensive it is especially when people stay for several days.

Saying everyone will bring something is a total disaster as you get the £1 bag of crisps, 6 bottles of beer only he drinks, or 20 bags of Brussels. It is much more sensible to give x amount per family and let the ordering of food happen in an proper thought out way. If someone is doing the shopping, the cooking and bed, breakfast and evening meals I don’t think it’s too much to ask. TBH the guests should know to suggest it without being asked.

It’s actually cheaper to go away than host for a house full of ungrateful people.

I am amazed at the rudeness that I'm reading about, but also that people are posting on social to make a charge for coming!!! That just doesn't sound right to me. If your guests are so rude as to bring nothing, have a rethink, & if you can't afford to host, don't!

So glad Christmas is over. I don't think I've ever been so glad to be through it. Such a dark, dreary time.

Thank you CC. I wish the same to you and to everyone else here on this forum, too. Just another couple of months and things will brighten up even more. I can't wait to see the daffodils pop up on the lawn outside my block of flats.

Onwards and upwards Julius and may this year bring only better things and better health for you.

CC

Latest posts

Back