A Very Happy New Year To You All

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Happy New Year to you all!

I too have a problem with a controlling family member and found some help with emotional turmoil taking Australian flower remedies that calm emotions quite well and provide some peace, at least on a temporary basis. I'd like to recommend them on here if anyone may decide to try them, they address different emotions. They can be found on Amazon, in health shops, homeopathic shops and online.

http://ausflowers.com.au/Products/Combination-Essences

I now have my own alternative health practitioner by recommendation who makes my bespoke flower remedies (of a different brand, more powerful I was told) here if anyone maybe interested.

Hope this helps someone.

Happy New year to all !!

I am relieved its all over till next year . I am exhausted by 5 adult children visiting -- one of whom hogs the same seat every year, has the telly on constantly, whilst on his phone, DS, and also headphones at the same time - as long as his charger is plugged in he is happy.

To be honest I dread the season, not one of them helps with dishes etc, they eat constantly, and after they leave I have all the bedding to wash etc. One brings her houserabbit which lives freely and is supposed to be housetrained , along with her dog which pees randomly every hour, unless you manage to get it outside in time,

And so I watch QVC for a bit of light relief, laugh at their ridiculous prices and sometimes ridiculous clothes and often get irritated by the presenters.
Sadly, there is little comedy in it nowadays,

In the old days it was a real laugh when Anthony Heywood and Julian were on, but its just so serious now,

I am glad to see the back of 2018. My problems are nothing compared to some of the situations faced by other people, however I really thought I was cracking up over Christmas, collapsing with no energy in Asda and sitting on the floor with a blinding headache and burning throat under a rail of coats was something of a low point. It's around this time of year that some air or normality returns and I welcome that with open arms.

For all QVC might like us to believe, it isn't all smiling relatives, agas and beautiful sponge cakes. It's a dreary, fake and miserable time for many, a time when things feel raw, empty and heavy, when the pain suppressed throughout the year rises to the surface like a cork under water.

I'm personally looking forward to going on holiday in Spain, and to getting my new Smart car. I know they're material things but I suppose they're good things. I love travel and intend to go to a few places this year. I'm going to write each place I'd like to go to on a piece of paper and then draw them at random from a hat!

What things is everyone else looking forward to?

Happy New Year everyone, sorry bit late.
You are so right, Julius, it can be the worst time for some people. Your plans for the year sound good, things to look forward to.
It’s been a difficult Christmas for me too. Last Christmas my dad died, he was the last of my family & there’d just been the two of us for a very long time, both of us being only children so no aunts or cousins either.

Happy New Year everyone, sorry bit late.
You are so right, Julius, it can be the worst time for some people. Your plans for the year sound good, things to look forward to.
It’s been a difficult Christmas for me too. Last Christmas my dad died, he was the last of my family & there’d just been the two of us for a very long time, both of us being only children so no aunts or cousins either.

Hope you got through Christmas and the New Year alright Breeze.

I am glad to see the back of 2018. My problems are nothing compared to some of the situations faced by other people, however I really thought I was cracking up over Christmas, collapsing with no energy in Asda and sitting on the floor with a blinding headache and burning throat under a rail of coats was something of a low point. It's around this time of year that some air or normality returns and I welcome that with open arms.

For all QVC might like us to believe, it isn't all smiling relatives, agas and beautiful sponge cakes. It's a dreary, fake and miserable time for many, a time when things feel raw, empty and heavy, when the pain suppressed throughout the year rises to the surface like a cork under water.

I'm personally looking forward to going on holiday in Spain, and to getting my new Smart car. I know they're material things but I suppose they're good things. I love travel and intend to go to a few places this year. I'm going to write each place I'd like to go to on a piece of paper and then draw them at random from a hat!

What things is everyone else looking forward to?

I am just looking forward to the lighter evenings at the moment and will then hopefully make some plans. It is good to have something to look forward to Julius. Enjoy your holidays and car.

Julius, hope you are feeling a lot better now and you have a good holiday when it comes. My big goal for this year is to find a new job. Living in a rural area jobs are few and far between and the one I have is very hard work and not entirely suitable for a health condition I have. However, lucky to have a job I know but fingers crossed I can get something else. I also aim to have a huge clear out and sell a lot of things that I definitely don't need. That should keep me busy until the summer!

CC

Bit late, but a Happy New Year to you all.
I’m trying to learn to say NO to the things I don’t want/need to do and Yes to the ones I want to.
Health & happiness to you & yours.

I agree with Anna about looking forward to longer, lighter days.

I don't go far from home at the moment because I can't bear to leave my little old cat for more than a few hours. He's 21 has a few serious ailments and clearly his time is very limited. I'm dreading that time. I'm just getting on with things at home - sorting out, cleaning, having a new bathroom and gardening.

I don't go far from home at the moment because I can't bear to leave my little old cat for more than a few hours. He's 21 has a few serious ailments and clearly his time is very limited. I'm dreading that time. I'm just getting on with things at home - sorting out, cleaning, having a new bathroom and gardening.

Is that the cat in your photo? He’s gorgeous. I often admire him on here.

I can understand your feelings Eric's Mum, I had a cat who almost made 23! He never hunted during his life but once brought a tiny field mouse in and when it moved on the floor, he jumped on a stool terrified. Just think of all the years that you and him have shared, because that's been good for both of you.

A belated Happy New Year from me!

This thread illustrates the strong, caring, thoughtful side of us shoppers. For some of us, QVC has been a refuge while recovering from illness, surgery or both. For others it has been a break from dealing with on going medical issues. These days there is more fun to be had by reaching out to this forum, where advice and information are washed down with humour, virtual hugs and empathy in a vast array of different experiences of the human condition.

May the light stay on in the shopping telly forum window. May Graham and Sazza feel willing to continue with this valuable asset to our lives. May you all feel the wind in your sails when life tries to slow you down or stop you. May kindness come your way, together with truly kind people. May the toxic become less venomous, or less prevalent. May you add to the treasure trove of your lives with time spent with loved ones, in person or in bringing them to mind.

My shopping may have dwindled but my admiration for my forum buddies has grown - Here's to all of us for the coming year!

Yes EM, my heart goes out to you, I know exactly how you're feeling xx

Happy New year to all !!

I am relieved its all over till next year . I am exhausted by 5 adult children visiting -- one of whom hogs the same seat every year, has the telly on constantly, whilst on his phone, DS, and also headphones at the same time - as long as his charger is plugged in he is happy.

To be honest I dread the season, not one of them helps with dishes etc, they eat constantly, and after they leave I have all the bedding to wash etc. One brings her houserabbit which lives freely and is supposed to be housetrained , along with her dog which pees randomly every hour, unless you manage to get it outside in time,

And so I watch QVC for a bit of light relief, laugh at their ridiculous prices and sometimes ridiculous clothes and often get irritated by the presenters.
Sadly, there is little comedy in it nowadays,

In the old days it was a real laugh when Anthony Heywood and Julian were on, but its just so serious now,

How rude!!!!!!!

Next year put tape over the plug sockets. It may be a funny way of making a point.

Last edited:
How rude!!!!!!!

Next year put tape over the plug sockets. It may be a funny way of making a point.

Or book yourself a break away and see how they protest how much they want “family time”. Send them a table of tariffs since they are using you as a hotel.

Easier said than done I know but by the sounds of things you don’t have much to lose. There comes a time when your own well being has to come first before perfectly capable adult children/family.

A friend in the village has played host to her extended family for years, and they've come to expect it. This year she told them that her and hubby were going away for the festivities - which was met with selfish groans by the hoards. She didn't go away, she stocked up her cupboard, kept the curtains drawn, and she enjoyed a few days of peaceful bliss with her husband.

I know there is a lot on SM about people asking the family to pay when they come for Christmas dinner and having hosted Christmas for 20 years plus I know just how expensive it is especially when people stay for several days.

Saying everyone will bring something is a total disaster as you get the £1 bag of crisps, 6 bottles of beer only he drinks, or 20 bags of Brussels. It is much more sensible to give x amount per family and let the ordering of food happen in an proper thought out way. If someone is doing the shopping, the cooking and bed, breakfast and evening meals I don’t think it’s too much to ask. TBH the guests should know to suggest it without being asked.

It’s actually cheaper to go away than host for a house full of ungrateful people.

Latest posts

Back