L’Occitane buying out Elemis

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am really amazed by this. I can hardly believe that Loccitane can afford it, for a start. Didn't they once have to be rescued themselves by some famous French skier? I saw in those articles yesterday that their sales are $1.4bn per year but that is not profit, is it? Can't remember the profit figure now, but Loccitane have a whole global branch network (I was pleased to see when on holiday in Aruba!) to support. We even have one in Putney!

I also read what one of the articles laughably called their global brand portfolio. Has anyone ever heard of any of these? Not exactly a success story to reassure Elemis is it?

Very, very odd IMHO

The L'Occitane Group has revenue of thousands of billions whereas Steiner who owns Elemis only has revenue of hundreds of millions

Gosh l did not know that, thank you.
Does any other country have this awful law?

Loads of countries still test on animals but China is the only one (that I know of) that insists that products retailed in mainland China are tested on animals before they can be sold.

Loads of mainsteam brands that chase the Chinese market ignore how damaging this is just to make money - all the big ones Estee Lauder, Mac, Nars, Garnier, L'Oreal and many QVC brands are tested in China. Even if their UK/US marketing claims they are cruelty free.

The weird part about China is any beauty products made there do not have to be tested.

Urban Decay a few years back decided to sell in China. All hell broke loose online from their customers. Then Urban Decay came out with a statement saying they would be working with China to stop animal testing oh and women's rights. It was the most patronizing statement in the history of cosmetics. They got it from all sides over the statement trying to justify themselves. Then suddenly because of the backlash, they decided not to sell in China.

Nars got a similar backlash as well.

So many of the smaller cruelty free brands build up a great following and they then sell out to the major names who put profut before ethics - wish more companies would listen to what their customers say!

I've noticed that Loccitane closed their boutique in Covent Garden in London so I wondered if they were struggling, Covent Garden is one of the best locations in London I couldn't believe they closed it.

Bet that leaping bunny will be leaping for the hills to avoid China's nasty animal testing rules.

You dont have to have the leaping bunny to be cruelty free - plus there is more than one accreditation scheme.

Indeed, there is PETA for example, but I don't believe that all accreditations are equal, for example, someone on here once said that the Bunny was 'gold standard' of cruelty free & the standard she preferred - I'm sumising (sp) btw. My post was more of an enquiry rather than a statement as to which was the accreditation held by Elemis?

I've noticed that Loccitane closed their boutique in Covent Garden in London so I wondered if they were struggling, Covent Garden is one of the best locations in London I couldn't believe they closed it.

I would suspect they closed that because of opening a big Flagship store in Regent Street.

Indeed, there is PETA for example, but I don't believe that all accreditations are equal, for example, someone on here once said that the Bunny was 'gold standard' of cruelty free & the standard she preferred - I'm sumising (sp) btw. My post was more of an enquiry rather than a statement as to which was the accreditation held by Elemis?

I dont recall which one Elemis has if at all, my point was simply that there are many companies who are cruellty free but have never signed up to any formal scheme. All the schemes are subsciption/paid services and each one has its own flaws i.e. you can be cruelty free but owned by a non-cruelty free parent.

And you can be considered cruelty free yet still sell in China - the whole cruelty free and vegan labelling system is a nonsense and is being exploited by big names like Garnier. So yes I agree, not all accreditations are created equal!

In the past I have had a beauty business and we refused to work with any of the big name cruelty free associations as we didnt approve of their positions on parent companies or selling in China or who they chose to work with.

Seems a little unfair all those cute creatures being sliced and diced just so some rich b**** can avoid a bit of eye irritation.

I personally only buy from companies certified by Cruelty Free International (leaping bunny), as they audit the company and their supply chain. PETA to my knowledge don't do any checks, companies just self certify. I choose to trust the companies prepared to subject themselves to audits.

I would suspect they closed that because of opening a big Flagship store in Regent Street.

they have a flagship store in Regent street the Shaftesbury Avenue side. its a two story building. I would imagine the rent there being eyewatering

Latest posts

Back