Molton Brown TSV 09/03/19

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm prone to headaches, T, how bad is the TR? For context, the Elemis Frangipani is bad for me. Tends to be strong smells that get me. Samsara & Armitage (?) would also be bad, but no one ever wears them, thankfully?

I'm not prone to headaches as such, but if perfumes have certain notes in them (I'm yet to work them all out, but Sandalwood is definitely a big ole trigger) then they will give me a headache and even make me feel sick. Chanel's Allure and Dior's Dune are two old school culprits (I used to LOVE Samsara but hated Amarige which also gave me a headache).

Rose Absolute is a lovely smell, there's no doubt about it but it is strong and it just doesn't mellow on my skin. I usually love a big scent (Red was another old school fave of mine) but I had to give the Rosa Absolute perfume away and I'm now attempting to power through the remaining body products - I can't put the body lotion on in the evening as it will almost suffocate my nose and keep me awake.

Some perfumes actually make me feel nauseous. I once spent several hours squashed next to someone on a plane and she`d obviously drowned herself in Angel perfume. We were literally inches from each other for the whole flight and by the time we landed I had a raging headache and actually felt sick because it had been so overpowering.
Yet again just a few days ago we went to an Indian restaurant for a meal. A group of 4 were seated on the table in front of us and all I could smell was a woman`s perfume. She too must have drowned herself in it though I`ve no idea which perfume it was, all I knew was it was awful and really put me off my food.
We all like perfume but some of them should come with health warnings in my opinion ie WARNING this perfume may give people migraines, make them heave or cause mass evacuations !

One perfume I really can't stand is Poeme and a woman I used to work with wore a whole bottle of it every day for work. Tried to explain it made me feel ill but she told me I was a drama queen. Then she spilt the bottle all over the carpet under her desk. I had to move offices. I got my own back though, I had a bottle of Lou Lou and I always wore it on a night out when I knew she'd be there. Not one of her faves :mysmilie_17:

I'm not prone to headaches as such, but if perfumes have certain notes in them (I'm yet to work them all out, but Sandalwood is definitely a big ole trigger) then they will give me a headache and even make me feel sick. Chanel's Allure and Dior's Dune are two old school culprits (I used to LOVE Samsara but hated Amarige which also gave me a headache).

Rose Absolute is a lovely smell, there's no doubt about it but it is strong and it just doesn't mellow on my skin. I usually love a big scent (Red was another old school fave of mine) but I had to give the Rosa Absolute perfume away and I'm now attempting to power through the remaining body products - I can't put the body lotion on in the evening as it will almost suffocate my nose and keep me awake.

I’m the same with smells making me feel ill or at least headache-y but I’m pretty sure in my case it’s perfumes I have worn or been around when I’ve felt unwell so there’s a definite asssociation as opposed to certain notes being to blame for disagreeing with me. I have a nearly full bottle of Especially Escada which I loved when I bought it but the second or third time I wore it to a big lunch, I came home feeling really queasy on the train (over-indulgence) and now I daren’t wear it again because it brings back those memories. My niece likes it so looks like it’s heading her way.

Also, even the mention of Satan’s fragrance of choice (the one beginning with A, not the Chanel one) is making me angry so please do not do that again, dear Tarketta. I’d like just to forget it exists.

Many years ago my mother used to wear Youth Dew by Estée Lauder. In the car with the heater on full pelt. Oh. My. Days. I had to have the window open in the back! And then got yelled at for causing a draught! I am usually very resilient when it comes to perfumes (I suspect I am more the villain in these stories as I do like a good spray of perfume!) but that one really did for me. I shall have to think of something else now before the sensation floods back.

I’m the same with smells making me feel ill or at least headache-y but I’m pretty sure in my case it’s perfumes I have worn or been around when I’ve felt unwell so there’s a definite asssociation as opposed to certain notes being to blame for disagreeing with me. I have a nearly full bottle of Especially Escada which I loved when I bought it but the second or third time I wore it to a big lunch, I came home feeling really queasy on the train (over-indulgence) and now I daren’t wear it again because it brings back those memories. My niece likes it so looks like it’s heading her way.

Also, even the mention of Satan’s fragrance of choice (the one beginning with A, not the Chanel one) is making me angry so please do not do that again, dear Tarketta. I’d like just to forget it exists.

:mysmilie_15: Noted, AndiK - I'd forgotten the depths of your hatred for that one! The one fragrance guaranteed to send me apoplectic is Cool Water for Women, gawd I hate that with a passion - the perfume equivalent of eating a sharon fruit, no actual flavour just watery sweetness :mysmilie_51:

Many years ago my mother used to wear Youth Dew by Estée Lauder. In the car with the heater on full pelt. Oh. My. Days. I had to have the window open in the back! And then got yelled at for causing a draught! I am usually very resilient when it comes to perfumes (I suspect I am more the villain in these stories as I do like a good spray of perfume!) but that one really did for me. I shall have to think of something else now before the sensation floods back.

Cor now that brings back memories

I worked with someone who wore Obsession and she`d apply it before getting to work and then she`d apply it again after her lunch break and then she`d apply it again before leaving to go home. You could literally smell her at the other side of the building and the poor folks who shared an office with her hated it.
They`d open windows or prop the door open, they`d move their desks or they`d have fans blowing directly at her but still she drowned herself in the stuff. One poor guy was an asthmatic and he put his frequent attacks at work down to her perfume. In the end he was moved to another office.
Someone tried approaching her about her overuse of perfume but she looked at them as if to say how could they not possibly appreciate having someone working alongside them who deigned to make herself and the whole building smell so lovely ? It would have taken some brave soul to put it in a nutshell and tell her straight out that her perfume was hated by everybody and she was stinking us out !

I can almost smell Youth Dew now, reading about its effect on you! I didn’t/don’t mind it but can imagine the car sickness I’d get with it in those circumstances. I used to get terrible car sickness and it has returned, though less acute, in the last 7 or 8 years.

:mysmilie_15: Noted, AndiK - I'd forgotten the depths of your hatred for that one! The one fragrance guaranteed to send me apoplectic is Cool Water for Women, gawd I hate that with a passion - the perfume equivalent of eating a sharon fruit, no actual flavour just watery sweetness :mysmilie_51:

I’ll forgive you. And I’ll also sympathise with your feeling about Cool Water for Women. I had some about 16/17 years ago, fortunately only a small bottle, and went off it really quickly.

Urrrgh, yes Youth Dew was horrid, as was Paris and Aromatics. I'm not great with any perfume but I do like Liz Earle No 1 and Sunflowers.

CC

Some perfumes actually make me feel nauseous. I once spent several hours squashed next to someone on a plane and she`d obviously drowned herself in Angel perfume. We were literally inches from each other for the whole flight and by the time we landed I had a raging headache and actually felt sick because it had been so overpowering.
Yet again just a few days ago we went to an Indian restaurant for a meal. A group of 4 were seated on the table in front of us and all I could smell was a woman`s perfume. She too must have drowned herself in it though I`ve no idea which perfume it was, all I knew was it was awful and really put me off my food.
We all like perfume but some of them should come with health warnings in my opinion ie WARNING this perfume may give people migraines, make them heave or cause mass evacuations !

What is Angel like? I just know I'd hate it from what you said..... I think it's poor etiquette to wear an overbearing fragrance in a restaurant....Or on a plane, & unforgivable if its a long flight. I'd have tried to ask to be moved (out of earshot of course.....)

I am just about to start a new bottle of MB Japanese Orange. Only one left in the stash after that. :mysmilie_476:

They're getting rid of all the ones I love - Japanese Orange was my fave and Templetree was second, I also HATE Ylang Ylang, it's so insipid - I'm devastated!!!!

Likewise, I'm not going to buy either option, so it's saved me a few quid at least :(

Nooooo! I agree - why get rid of temple tree?!
I was inspired by this post this to dig deep in my stash cupboard and get out my bottle from a couple of years ago that was in a TSV (also found a bottle of Japanese orange lurking T, lol!) - washed my hands with it and can still smell the fragrance nearly an hour later!
I agree with CC about sitting on hands and not buying when I have litres of product to use.
One day, I will organise myself to put extra on eBay as the one thing I am good at is not opening products until I use them and keep out of sunlight/heat etc. Plus unlike some folk, I at least put a low starting price - I’ve never got why people pay over the odds for something and carryon bidding when you can get it cheaper on the brands own website where it is guaranteed ‘new’ (goes back to ages ago when I bought something ‘new’ that after checking the batch code was over 6 years old, hence skin reaction...) I also never buy if the vendors don’t give me the batch code when asked!
Anyway, mini rant over - as you were!

Last edited:
I've been to the MB outlet store this afternoon, came back with 3 more bottles of Samphire shower gel, I just love it :sun:

Any idea on the price for this?
Having looked at the last 3 TSV’s they have been just under half price without p&p, between 44.7% &
48.8% so my guess is between £39 & £42. Let’s see.
I still have too much to use & must resist.

I was counting up my MB today and I've got loads. Far too many of those mini ones that are hard to get the product out of the little bottle. I intend to use up everything I've got before buying more and that goes for Liz Earle and maybe Decleor as well.

CC

Latest posts

Back