Ideas for a facial cleanser please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
I’m looking for a good quality cleanser suitable for 63 year old dry & mildly sensitive. I don’t wear a lot of foundation and I’m happy with the eye make up remover I’ve got (cheapie but it suits my contact lenses).

I’m happy to try a QVC ‘premium’ brand using the MBG.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Aldi hot cloth cleanser but not always available, I usually try to get it online. It is 200ml size. Liz Earle is also good but not cheap as are Emma Hardie and Elemis cleansing balm. I only use the hot cloth cleansers so cant comment on any others.

I’m looking for a good quality cleanser suitable for 63 year old dry & mildly sensitive. I don’t wear a lot of foundation and I’m happy with the eye make up remover I’ve got (cheapie but it suits my contact lenses).

Thanks

It depends on how you like to cleanse. I like a wash off one in the morning using a cloth, but like to use a lotion on pads to remove make up in the evening. I use Decleor for both.

Perhaps Balancing Cleanser from Alpha H would suit. it's going to be included in the TSV on 8th February.

As long as a cleanser removes dirt, makeup and oil then the effects of it are short lived once another product is used such as a toner or moisturiser or when the cleanser is washed off. Cleansers aren`t left on the skin so their purpose is simply to cleanse not to have a long lasting effect. I buy cheap and cheerful cleansers which don`t irritate my sensitive skin and if I were to spend serious money on anything (which I don`t ) then I`d spend it on a serum, face oil or moisturiser which may or may not have some longer term effect.

I use Liz Earle and have for many years. It suits my skin and does the job. There are loads of products out there, but now I have found this one, I am sticking with it. I do though take my eye make up off with a different product.

I found this made my skin really dry.

But I love Elemis cleansing balm ��

Quite a few people on here seem to love Purity Made Simple but I hated it. I didn’t like the smell but worst of all, it is the only facial cleanser I have ever tried which gave me the most awful itchy skin that kept me awake at night. I know I’m in the minority but that was my experience. There’s obviously something in it which decided to attack me.

Anyway, Eric’s Mum, I’m not best placed to recommend products for your skin type because, despite the above, I wouldn’t say I have sensitive skin (I don’t choose sensitive face products as a rule).

I love Emma Hardie, but M&S have their own newly launched balm cleanser(it did have 20%, not sure if still one?) and quite a few are raving at how good it is. Superdrug does their own cleansers which also get great reviews. The Body Shop have a Chamomile cleansing balm which gets great reviews. All not expensive and for all budgets.

The Purity broke me out.

Aveeno Baby daily cleansing milk for the face and Aveeno Baby hair & body wash, from Boots, Tesco etc; both have been a good result in my hubby's eternal sensitive skin. He has had no flare-ups since using these and he has tried so many others over many years. I use the 'milk' as a wipe off cleanser at night.

Decleor micellar water does it for me. I have very very dry skin but this just cleans my face with no adverse effects and it is so quick and easy.

CC

Another Decleor fan here. If I have make up on, I prefer to use their cleanser and toner. I also like Clarins and Elemis. If I need a cheapo one if none of the others are on sale, I would probably go for Simple. I always run out of toner first and usually buy that whilst I finish off the cleanser. I freely admit Simple is a brand I would never have looked at except when I had chemo the hospital told me not to use anything remotely perfumed and suggested I replace all my skin- and body-care with Simp!e products, so I did. If I haven't worn make up I am happy to use a micellar water at night but find most of them drying except for Decleor and Elemis. I haven't yet tried one recommended on here, was it called Biologica?, which I got in Boots and has different skin type formulations.

On no make up days and in the mornings I like Elemis balm or oil and Decleor micellar oil. A cheap oil is Chamomile cleansing oil from Body Shop; I haven't tried their balm. I haven't yet tried my new Boots balm. I am currently using Boots version of Clean and Polish and it is so perfumed I doubt it would be any good for sensitive skin, so suggest you avoid that. After reading the tips on here I did a trawl of Boots, Body Shop, Superdrug, Waitrose and it is certainly worth doing that I think. It has inexpensively proved to me that I am not a fan of the C&P style hot cloth cleanser but prefer oils and balms or cream cleansers. It also opened my eyes to what was out there on the DHS for a good price rather than having to shell out for the premium brands.

My skin is definitely ageing (!) and slightly dry but not really sensitive.

I keep reading how good Tri Balm is as it’s supposed to cleanse exfoliate and moisturise your skin,think it’s a tad expensive though.

Thanks

Hello EM. Although I'm not in quite the same age bracket I have struggled with face cleansers over the years as I've always had skin problems of one sort or another. Years ago I used to have really bad acne and when I underwent Roaccutane treatment my skin became dry like parchment. Back then I tried a cleanser called "Purity Made Simple" by Philosophy. It was radically different to other cleansers in that it wasn't soap based and therefore didn't strip the skin. It almost felt like a very light lotion and had a pleasant and VERY subtle (almost nonexistent) fragrance that faintly resembled a custard tart - sort of a slight hint of vanilla. One just needed to apply the lotion then remove it with a cloth (or in my case, cotton wool). It was very gentle and to me was an absolute dream - as most cleansers use sodium laureth sulphate which can be very stripping.
I don't know if QVC still sell it - or indeed if Philosophy still make it, but it might be worth a try.

Another good one is Clinique's creamy facial cleanser - though designed for use with ultrasonic cleansers it can be used without. This is a brilliant product. One tiny little bit lathers up amazingly and leaves the skin feeling clean but not tight.

These days I can get away with using Simple's Age Resisting facial wash (from the dreaded high street) which only costs a few quid from Savers - don't get it at Boots - they charge more for it.

So there are a few suggestions - two premium, one ordinary.

Hello EM. Although I'm not in quite the same age bracket I have struggled with face cleansers over the years as I've always had skin problems of one sort or another. Years ago I used to have really bad acne and when I underwent Roaccutane treatment my skin became dry like parchment. Back then I tried a cleanser called "Purity Made Simple" by Philosophy. It was radically different to other cleansers in that it wasn't soap based and therefore didn't strip the skin. It almost felt like a very light lotion and had a pleasant and VERY subtle (almost nonexistent) fragrance that faintly resembled a custard tart - sort of a slight hint of vanilla. One just needed to apply the lotion then remove it with a cloth (or in my case, cotton wool). It was very gentle and to me was an absolute dream - as most cleansers use sodium laureth sulphate which can be very stripping.
I don't know if QVC still sell it - or indeed if Philosophy still make it, but it might be worth a try.

Another good one is Clinique's creamy facial cleanser - though designed for use with ultrasonic cleansers it can be used without. This is a brilliant product. One tiny little bit lathers up amazingly and leaves the skin feeling clean but not tight.

These days I can get away with using Simple's Age Resisting facial wash (from the dreaded high street) which only costs a few quid from Savers - don't get it at Boots - they charge more for it.

So there are a few suggestions - two premium, one ordinary.

The purity made simple by Philosophy is the one SCW refers to earlier on in the thread. Looks like a great deal too.

Thanks everyone, I’m never disappointed when I ask for advice! I’ll go through your suggestions tonight. Xx

Latest posts

Back