Ideas for a facial cleanser please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

For balms Elemis, Alpha H and Emma Hardie can't be beaten for the sheer pleasure in using. I tried an Avon balm a few weeks ago. It does the job, but doesn't give me the swoon factor the first three do.

I like Liz Earle, especially the scented versions, but they've all broken me out. Same with the No7.

I was going to say that cream cleansers don't agree with me but I rather like the Alpha H balancing one as an everyday workhorse. I also like the other one they do (some herby version). I'd have never tried these but they were in sets and I've been pleasantly surprised.

I've also tried Soap & Glory and Bare Minerals foaming cleanser - both okay but the BM is nicer to use. NIOD's Sanskrit Saponins is a weird one. Makes my skin feel very clean but isn't a joy to use.

Out of the micellar cleansers I absolutely loved the Lancome one that they discontinued it just before they became popular. I now use Bioderma (you've literally just missed a third off at escentual.com by a few days, but they run the French Pharmacy offer regularly), or Garnier oily or sensitive (the oily mattifies great under makeup). There's also a Garnier WITH oil that you shake up (not the version for oily skin). Now, this is absolutely fab for removing stubborn makeup but I hate the smell so stick to balms.

Philosphy's Purity is a bargain on QVC at the moment for the massive size. It's a pretty good cleanser that didn't beak me out but I bought it years ago when on offer in a 500ml size and got a bit bored with it (those were the days, when I could afford to have several on the go at any time) but I did keep going back to it as it was quite expensive when I bought it (I think only Liberty sold it then and after trying it in the US I just HAD to buy it!). Just to lay to rest the "use after opening" comments, I had my Purity on the go for at least 4 years. I shake all my rotations regularly as it seems to keep them fresher. I check stuff I've had a while but haven't used every month. I've rarely had to throw anything but some things do start to smell a bit different or start to split.

After the oversized Purity mistake I now tend to buy smaller versions of items until I find a "love" that I know I'll not get bored with and keep using. If I could only use three of the items I've listed it'd be the Elemis balm for indulgent cleansing, the Alpha H for in-shower cleansing and the Garnier micellar for quick or pre-cleanses.

I love this. Hand made in small batches, paraben free , doesn`t have a heavy smell, perfect for my sensitive skin and 250ml costs me a fiver. I also buy their floral waters which I use as a toner ( rose and lavender mixed together) and also their face wash which I use in the shower in the morning.
http://www.naturallythinking.com/cucumber-cleanser.html

This is the best cleanser I’ve ever used. https://m.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/eliza...fen_GB%2f%24s%3dcleanser&fh_sort=-hasimage_iw You just massage a small amount on the skin and rinse off with warm water, leaves skin clean and soft.

Will you stop posting Ideal World bargains! I've bought 3 or 4 things from them in the last 9-12 months because of recommendations on here, mostly yours! Hadn't bought anything from them for years before that.

Only kidding - keep 'em coming!

Another Decleor fan here. If I have make up on, I prefer to use their cleanser and toner. I also like Clarins and Elemis. If I need a cheapo one if none of the others are on sale, I would probably go for Simple. I always run out of toner first and usually buy that whilst I finish off the cleanser. I freely admit Simple is a brand I would never have looked at except when I had chemo the hospital told me not to use anything remotely perfumed and suggested I replace all my skin- and body-care with Simp!e products, so I did. If I haven't worn make up I am happy to use a micellar water at night but find most of them drying except for Decleor and Elemis. I haven't yet tried one recommended on here, was it called Biologica?, which I got in Boots and has different skin type formulations.

On no make up days and in the mornings I like Elemis balm or oil and Decleor micellar oil. A cheap oil is Chamomile cleansing oil from Body Shop; I haven't tried their balm. I haven't yet tried my new Boots balm. I am currently using Boots version of Clean and Polish and it is so perfumed I doubt it would be any good for sensitive skin, so suggest you avoid that. After reading the tips on here I did a trawl of Boots, Body Shop, Superdrug, Waitrose and it is certainly worth doing that I think. It has inexpensively proved to me that I am not a fan of the C&P style hot cloth cleanser but prefer oils and balms or cream cleansers. It also opened my eyes to what was out there on the DHS for a good price rather than having to shell out for the premium brands.

My skin is definitely ageing (!) and slightly dry but not really sensitive.

I cant stand how my skin feels when using Micellar oil or water and the Boots cleansing balm made me look like I had burnt my face. Should have known better as most No 7 products irritate me. Luckily it was on offer.

Will you stop posting Ideal World bargains! I've bought 3 or 4 things from them in the last 9-12 months because of recommendations on here, mostly yours! Hadn't bought anything from them for years before that.

Only kidding - keep 'em coming!

Andi, you’re going to love it. All EG grants lotions and potions are brilliant, I only buy pick of the day sets though. EG is sold on QVC Italy, QVC France and QVC Germany but a lot more expensive......shock!

I’ll keep ‘em coming Andi xx. :mysmilie_3:

I find soap and water washes my makeup off any soap and tap water. Cheap as chips.

Uuuurgh. Real water on my facial skin makes it drier than a dried out old dry thing and soap??? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh. Works for some but not for me. Mr CC uses soap, soap and soap for everything. I would be a dried out old goat after 2 uses.

CC

Andi, you’re going to love it. All EG grants lotions and potions are brilliant, I only buy pick of the day sets though. EG is sold on QVC Italy, QVC France and QVC Germany but a lot more expensive......shock!

I’ll keep ‘em coming Andi xx. :mysmilie_3:

I take it, looking at it, the 2 x 200ml you linked to is a regular price? If so, that's excellent.

Out of interest, does it have a smell? I know a lot of people avoid anything with fragrance but I quite like it and the things which are not supposed to be fragranced (eg that Purity Made Simple again!) have a stale or weird smell to me.

I take it, looking at it, the 2 x 200ml you linked to is a regular price? If so, that's excellent.

Out of interest, does it have a smell? I know a lot of people avoid anything with fragrance but I quite like it and the things which are not supposed to be fragranced (eg that Purity Made Simple again!) have a stale or weird smell to me.

It’s hard to describe the smell really, it’s not strong, powdery or floral it’s just a delicate smell. It’s a special offer buying two at that price, it’s like a buy one get one free, they usually do a couple of different sets of cleansers for about £12.99 but they sell out pretty quick. I know it sounds ridiculous but the cleansers really do a great job and great quality. You can send them back via Asda for free so I’d suggest trying it, you won’t be disappointed. This particular set is a similar consistency to Cleanse And Polish but cheaper and better, in my opinion and I wouldn’t BS anyone. :mysmilie_3:

There’s this set too, normally £19.99 for one, I haven’t tried it yet but the reviews are good. https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/eli...2f%24s%3delizabeth_grant&fh_sort=-hasimage_iw. It looks more of a water based cleanser.

Just so everyone knows shelf life once opened is 2 years.

I'm quite happy to use open toiletries after their supposed shelf life, if it looks and smells ok I don't have a problem continuing to use them.

I'm quite happy to use open toiletries after their supposed shelf life, if it looks and smells ok I don't have a problem continuing to use them.

I noticed my sea salt mill has a use before October 2018 date on it. I'm still using it. You can have salt for decades without any issue.

I am. It’s quite easy to tell if a skin product has “gone off” or is rancid by look of smell. I’m the same with food :mysmilie_5:

It’s hard to describe the smell really, it’s not strong, powdery or floral it’s just a delicate smell. It’s a special offer buying two at that price, it’s like a buy one get one free, they usually do a couple of different sets of cleansers for about £12.99 but they sell out pretty quick. I know it sounds ridiculous but the cleansers really do a great job and great quality. You can send them back via Asda for free so I’d suggest trying it, you won’t be disappointed. This particular set is a similar consistency to Cleanse And Polish but cheaper and better, in my opinion and I wouldn’t BS anyone. :mysmilie_3:

There’s this set too, normally £19.99 for one, I haven’t tried it yet but the reviews are good. https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/eli...2f%24s%3delizabeth_grant&fh_sort=-hasimage_iw. It looks more of a water based cleanser.

That sounds great too!

Thanks for the descriptions. Hmmm, what to do, what to do? I’ll have another look in the morning and decide but think I’m going to go for the first duo, the mousses.

Thanks again. I wasn’t in the market for cleansers but I’m not getting the LE TSV and I need to reward myself for completing my tax return the day before the deadline this year!

That sounds great too!

Thanks for the descriptions. Hmmm, what to do, what to do? I’ll have another look in the morning and decide but think I’m going to go for the first duo, the mousses.

Thanks again. I wasn’t in the market for cleansers but I’m not getting the LE TSV and I need to reward myself for completing my tax return the day before the deadline this year!

Yes that definitely deserves a treat. :mysmilie_3: Meant to say if you don't have an Asda nearby to return for free, you can buy a Collect Plus returns abel when placing an order for £1.49.

It's a shame Aldi don't have their Hot Cloth Cleanser in £3.99 for 200ml or I'd recommend that if an LE lover, that's exactly the same, same indgredients, same texture as Cleanse and Polish, but if that's never available, E.G. Is always a winner.

Yes that definitely deserves a treat. :mysmilie_3: Meant to say if you don't have an Asda nearby to return for free, you can buy a Collect Plus returns abel when placing an order for £1.49.

It's a shame Aldi don't have their Hot Cloth Cleanser in £3.99 for 200ml or I'd recommend that if an LE lover, that's exactly the same, same indgredients, same texture as Cleanse and Polish, but if that's never available, E.G. Is always a winner.

Thanks for all the tips. There is an Asda 2-3 miles away but I’m spoilt for supermarkets where I live and most of the others are closer. However, I am always up for a trip there for a change and to browse so it’s useful to know about the returns service anyway.

I’ll be looking out for the Aldi one also - I have a quick look at their site and Specialbuys when I get their weekly email now, since I read about some of their bargains on here. I’ve bought a lot of their JoMalone-alike home fragrance products.

Thanks for all the tips. There is an Asda 2-3 miles away but I’m spoilt for supermarkets where I live and most of the others are closer. However, I am always up for a trip there for a change and to browse so it’s useful to know about the returns service anyway.

I’ll be looking out for the Aldi one also - I have a quick look at their site and Specialbuys when I get their weekly email now, since I read about some of their bargains on here. I’ve bought a lot of their JoMalone-alike home fragrance products.

I'm not kidding, the Hot Cloth Cleanser is exactly the same, only difference is price and the Aldi one doesn't have as many nasties as the LE one, and it has the leaping bunny too. Hope you get to try it, you won't believe it's not c&p. The last time it was in and before I'd tried it, the woman before me at the till had ten, she smiled and said it's only under thirty, cheaper than Cleanse and Polish, I said I don't blame anyone for stocking up, so I buy mine on line and follow that woman's advice xx. :mysmilie_3:

I'm not kidding, the Hot Cloth Cleanser is exactly the same, only difference is price and the Aldi one doesn't have as many nasties as the LE one, and it has the leaping bunny too. Hope you get to try it, you won't believe it's not c&p. The last time it was in and before I'd tried it, the woman before me at the till had ten, she smiled and said it's only under thirty, cheaper than Cleanse and Polish, I said I don't blame anyone for stocking up, so I buy mine on line and follow that woman's advice xx. :mysmilie_3:

Ok, you’ve convinced me - that Aldi C&P-type cleanser is on my look-out-for list!

Have ordered the EG mousse cleansers from IW. I couldn’t resist even though I definitely don’t need the stock!

Having hijacked the thread with this, I should ask Eric’s Mum, have you decided what you are going to try for your sensitive skin?

Latest posts

Back