Ideas for a facial cleanser please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ok, you’ve convinced me - that Aldi C&P-type cleanser is on my look-out-for list!

Have ordered the EG mousse cleansers from IW. I couldn’t resist even though I definitely don’t need the stock!

Having hijacked the thread with this, I should ask Eric’s Mum, have you decided what you are going to try for your sensitive skin?

Aw that's great, you'll have to let me know what you think xx:mysmilie_3:

Is the Aldi one highly scented? I love their They're Real mascara knockoff so picked up their Clarins Flash Balm knockoff - urgh! The fragrance is so strong I was spitting on a hanky and scrubbing it off my face half an hour later (not my usual cleanser, desperation when in the car).

Last week I opened a can of soup that had escaped rotation in back far corner cupboard. BBE 2006. No dinks or rust in the can so I opened it. Looked/smelled fine so I cooked and ate it. It was fine and I'm still here. No nasty side effects either :vampire:

A woman I worked with got hysterical when she noticed the milk we'd been having in our coffee all day (at least 4 cups each) was a day out of date. I regularly use it past date as I buy and drink way too much of it. Again, if it looks and smells ok, it's fine (for me at least).

About the only stuff I don't mess with is yogurt or some soft cheeses. I've noticed yogurt gets tangy-er as the date gets closer so don't risk them. Also had a friend who left a close to date pot out in kitchen overnight and went downstairs the following morning to find it had spectacularly exploded in volcanic fashion all over her worktops/sink/cooker/floor/walls/ceiling. A true WTF moment she said :mysmilie_19:

I'm on my 3rd pot of Emma Hardie cleansing balm, not cheap I know, but nothing else comes close to this for the way my skin feels after using.

I first tried it a couple of years ago, I thought then that it had irritated my skin so stopped using, it was only a try size pot so didn't mind giving the rest away.
Anyway, turns out it wasn't that at all that was the culprit :blush: it was something else.

I don't like the Elemis balm though, although it's obviously a similar product in the way it's used, it broke me out.

I've given up wasting money trying different cleansers now, so I'm sticking with the Emma Hardie one......just wish it was a bit cheaper.

Is the Aldi one highly scented? I love their They're Real mascara knockoff so picked up their Clarins Flash Balm knockoff - urgh! The fragrance is so strong I was spitting on a hanky and scrubbing it off my face half an hour later (not my usual cleanser, desperation when in the car).

Last week I opened a can of soup that had escaped rotation in back far corner cupboard. BBE 2006. No dinks or rust in the can so I opened it. Looked/smelled fine so I cooked and ate it. It was fine and I'm still here. No nasty side effects either :vampire:

A woman I worked with got hysterical when she noticed the milk we'd been having in our coffee all day (at least 4 cups each) was a day out of date. I regularly use it past date as I buy and drink way too much of it. Again, if it looks and smells ok, it's fine (for me at least).

About the only stuff I don't mess with is yogurt or some soft cheeses. I've noticed yogurt gets tangy-er as the date gets closer so don't risk them. Also had a friend who left a close to date pot out in kitchen overnight and went downstairs the following morning to find it had spectacularly exploded in volcanic fashion all over her worktops/sink/cooker/floor/walls/ceiling. A true WTF moment she said :mysmilie_19:

I buy big tubs of Onken yogurt and often leave it out of the fridge - just like we did when I was growing up. Never a problem.

So much of this made me laugh, from the spitting on the hankie (and it not being your usual cleanser!), which reminded me of my mum removing chocolate from our faces on car journeys years ago, to the 12 years out of date can and the office colleagues and their has-to-be-fresh-from-the-cow policy on milk. When I worked in an office, there were a few who had to have the carton of milk you’d just put at the back of the fridge, even if the one at the front had 4 days left on the BBE. And another who literally had to open a fresh carton every time because he’d seen someone checking a carton once by hanging their nose over it! I mean, I prefer very fresh milk myself and there’s nothing worse than sour milk in your hot drink, but come on!

(Sorry for more off-topic rambling!)

I buy big tubs of Onken yogurt and often leave it out of the fridge - just like we did when I was growing up. Never a problem.

This was one of those small Ski type pots. I hate to imagine what her kitchen would have looked like if a big one had blown. I saw the pics - unbelievable that such a small pot could cover so big an area.

They should make paint like that!

The freebies with the superskin set on LE own website have changed. You still get the free perfume with orders over £75 but the free gifts with the set itself are now superskin face serum and superskin lip balm. So it`s now 200ml C and P, 200ml skin tonic, choice of neroli or unfragranced superskin moisturiser, free superskin face serum and free superskin lip balm for £69 plus the free full sized no9 perfume if you spend £6 more.

The Aldi cleanser smells like the LE Cleanse and Polish. :mysmilie_3:

I like that smell, personally, especially if it's from natural products and not artificial.

I looked in Aldi this morning for their version of C&P but unlucky. Back to your replies for the next one !

Thanks. I'll pick one up if I see it in store then - not that I should with the stash I already have.

Is it a regular stock item or one of their twice-weekly specials?

So much of this made me laugh, from the spitting on the hankie (and it not being your usual cleanser!), which reminded me of my mum removing chocolate from our faces on car journeys years ago, to the 12 years out of date can and the office colleagues and their has-to-be-fresh-from-the-cow policy on milk. When I worked in an office, there were a few who had to have the carton of milk you’d just put at the back of the fridge, even if the one at the front had 4 days left on the BBE. And another who literally had to open a fresh carton every time because he’d seen someone checking a carton once by hanging their nose over it! I mean, I prefer very fresh milk myself and there’s nothing worse than sour milk in your hot drink, but come on!

(Sorry for more off-topic rambling!)

No wonder so much food is wasted these days. Some people are plain weird. How the hell do they think we survived years ago with no dates on anything?!

When I had my first baby 43 years ago there were no such thing as baby wipes,if you were out and about it was a wet flannel in a plastic bag to wipe faces and hands and another plastic bag to hold wet terry nappies.
I recall my Mum using her spat on hanky to wipe dirty marks off our faces and she used Fairy household soap, the big chunky dark green stuff to wash faces, bodies, hair, shirt collars and cuffs and she even had a swishy thing in which you put all the small slivers of soapthen swished it in the washing up water to wash your dishes in it.
She`s been dead over 30 years now and I`ve often wondered what she`d make of all the lotions, potions, body and face products many people use nowadays. Her beauty regime was washing her face with soap, a dab of Nivea, a light dusting of Max Factor face powder, a bit of lippy and a dust down with a fluffy puff dipped into her talcum powder. On special days or if she was going somewhere she`d add a spritz of her favourite perfume but she only ever bought one bottle a year so she`d use it carefully.

L
Aveeno Baby daily cleansing milk for the face and Aveeno Baby hair & body wash, from Boots, Tesco etc; both have been a good result in my hubby's eternal sensitive skin. He has had no flare-ups since using these and he has tried so many others over many years. I use the 'milk' as a wipe off cleanser at night.

And their soothing relief was great for my contact dermatitis. Such a fab range and my granddaughter has incredibly soft skin.

Uuuurgh. Real water on my facial skin makes it drier than a dried out old dry thing and soap??? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh. Works for some but not for me. Mr CC uses soap, soap and soap for everything. I would be a dried out old goat after 2 uses.

CC

Sometimes I feel like a dried up old goat! :mysmilie_13:

When I had my first baby 43 years ago there were no such thing as baby wipes,if you were out and about it was a wet flannel in a plastic bag to wipe faces and hands and another plastic bag to hold wet terry nappies.
I recall my Mum using her spat on hanky to wipe dirty marks off our faces and she used Fairy household soap, the big chunky dark green stuff to wash faces, bodies, hair, shirt collars and cuffs and she even had a swishy thing in which you put all the small slivers of soapthen swished it in the washing up water to wash your dishes in it.
She`s been dead over 30 years now and I`ve often wondered what she`d make of all the lotions, potions, body and face products many people use nowadays. Her beauty regime was washing her face with soap, a dab of Nivea, a light dusting of Max Factor face powder, a bit of lippy and a dust down with a fluffy puff dipped into her talcum powder. On special days or if she was going somewhere she`d add a spritz of her favourite perfume but she only ever bought one bottle a year so she`d use it carefully.

My Mom would spit on a tissue. So much so, that one of my first 'phrases' learning to speak was "NO SPIT!" I didn't shout btw - caps for demonstrative purposes only. She'll have a go still - & I've grown up & left home ages ago!

I’m looking for a good quality cleanser suitable for 63 year old dry & mildly sensitive. I don’t wear a lot of foundation and I’m happy with the eye make up remover I’ve got (cheapie but it suits my contact lenses).

I’m happy to try a QVC ‘premium’ brand using the MBG.
Thanks

Extremely late to the party!
You definitely don't need to spent a lot of money to have a good, effective cleanser.

You may find a micellar water is a good choice, but bear in mind that these are detergents, so if you have dry sensitive skin, you will probably want to wipe your skin afterwards (if I'm using one, I use cotton wool pads to wipe over my face, and then follow up with cotton wool pads I've wet under the tap before patting my skin dry). Superdrug B. Pure has 100 ml for 89p at present, and I perhsonally think it's excellent, although I wouldn't use it exclusively. Info about micellar waters here: https://labmuffin.com/fact-check-what-is-micellar-water-and-how-does-it-work-an-update/

First thing to say, if you have sensitive skin, try to avoid any fragrance (parfum or whatever they label it as) in a cleanser; also avoid anything foaming.
Second thing is to think about your preferred cleansing style - do you like to splash off a cleanser, wipe off with a flannel, muslin or microfibre cloth (typically damp) or do you like to wipe off without any water involvement (so tissues, or cotton wool/cotton wool pads)?
Thirdly, do you like to massage your skin when you cleanse? If so an oil, balm or cream cleanser which will have more "slip" may be better for your purpose.
Fourthly, unless money is no object, I would save spending a load on cleanser which goes straight down the drain or in the bin and spend that money instead on a serum.
Fifthly, a cleanser which sounds great on paper may be awful for you - the smell, look and feel of a cleanser may be unbearable for you even if the effects are good (I found that with NIOD Sanscrit Saponins on all fronts) so definitely if you can try before you buy, or get a small sample on counter I recommend it.

Caroline Hirons cleansing balm recommendations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5BkIHLF0zs

Her second cleanse recommendations (once you have got rid of the makeup, if an evening cleanse, or a sole cleanse if you are a morning cleanser): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-qZTtqRO0

I'm a bit younger, but have relatively dry skin. I like the Alpha-H balancing cleanser, Elemis Pro-Collagen cream cleanser and Liz Earle cleanser, but I am moving away from these and looking for good quality more affordable cleansers as I love balms and cream cleansers best. I use garnier micellar water, superdrug micellar water.

I looked in Aldi this morning for their version of C&P but unlucky. Back to your replies for the next one !

I order mine for delivery as our local doesn't seem to stock it. Just keep looking on their website. £20 and over is free delivery. Their Reed diffusers are very similar to Jo Malone at a fraction of the price.

I order mine for delivery as our local doesn't seem to stock it. Just keep looking on their website. £20 and over is free delivery. Their Reed diffusers are very similar to Jo Malone at a fraction of the price.

I’ve got an Aldi No.4 diffuser on the go in the bathroom at the moment and it’s lovely. I couldn’t smell it for a few days but now get a lovely waft of fragrance as I enter the room. I’ll definitely be stocking up.

Thanks for the tips on ordering from Aldi. I still haven’t bought anything but I want to start with a hot cloth cream cleanser.

Latest posts

Back