Honorary pearls

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
On air now, 11.09pm. A string of white cultured Honora pearls. To my untrained eye they look like silverskin pickled onions you see in small jars in Sainsbury’s at Christmas (next to the jars of maraschino cherries YUM !).

Honora really started going downhill.

I remember Ralph insisting they never did ringed pearls they just threw them away. Then bang suddenly it was but the customers like them and 99% of Honora on QVC all ringed.

I like pearls to look like pearls. My Mum had a string of cultivated pearls in a light cream colour - she said it was a more forgiving colour to the face than white shades. Although Mum bought them in the 1950’s they would still look more stylish and classic today than the Honora stuff. My sister has them now, I must ask if she wears them !

I don't understand these ringed pearls at all. They are so expensive and as far as I could see aren't knotted, probably because they are so misformed. They remind me a bit of the poppit click together beads.
There was one nice carved pearl hung on a gold chain but the chain was very thin and the price rather fat.

Honora really started going downhill.

I remember Ralph insisting they never did ringed pearls they just threw them away. Then bang suddenly it was but the customers like them and 99% of Honora on QVC all ringed.

Jewellery rookie here....What are ringed pearls? How do they differ from normal ones. I thought pearls were a cylindrical ball shape?

You're right SisterBliss. Most pearls are cultured, where seeds are introduced into the molluscs and layers of nacre grow around them until the pearls reach the desired size. They are then matched and strung. It's a good sign if there is a knot between each pearl on the strand. If the strand should break then only one pearl would drop. Some pearls are found which haven't been cultured but they really are expensive and rare. If you gently run a tooth over a pearl and it feels a bit gritty you will know it's genuine and not plastic! The pearls should have a gentle lustre and wiped with a soft cloth now and then. Keep chemicals away from them and enjoy wearing them. They need the warmth of the skin to keep looking their best (but no perfume). I think ring pearls are badly formed and often pitted but they still have a lustre to them.

Latest posts

Back