advice please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I've just received an item which I ordered.

I live on my own so have to deal with all household repairs as far as I can, and the strength of my arthritic hands will let me. My biggest fear is having a flood or water leak, where things can get bad and go from a trickle to a possible Niagra Falls.

So, when I saw some waterproof tape called Navyseal immediately fix a large leak on the demonstration - be it permanent or temporary until I get the professionals out, I ordered them.

When I opened the box, the word JML sprang out, now I tend to associate the JML brand of Thane marketing with fast and furious high selling ads on other obscure shopping channels, or in the cheap section of Poundland.

Therefore do these JML products do what they say on the tin ? I'd like to know if others on here have tried their stuff.

Thanks.

I spotted the JML branding on yesterday's show. I'd have a look at JML's website to check whether it's cheaper there, or you don't need to buy 3 full rolls at a time. Definitely recreate one of the demos - a hole in a plastic bottle and see whether it really does seal fully when all the surfaces are wet. More than this check it stays watertight for a couple of days so you'd have a stop gap waiting for a plumber to fix a leak properly.

Here's a JML link! you could test the 3 QVC rolls and then buy a single one that seems most versatile from jml maybe? No reviews on JML yet either sadly. The jml site has occasional free p&p offers if you decide to buy a single instead; though once you've paid for the QVC return it probably isn't worth doing.

ps if you test it but it doesn't perform as claimed on air ask for a return label.

Last edited:
It is £10 for a 150cm roll on Jml and the same on Amazon. Both are black, no sign of the clear. I have never heard of JML (she says helpfully) but it does have one review on Amazon which is 5 star.

I have ordered a white roll from Amazon, not that the colour matter if it does the job.
I hope I never have to find out.

I don't know about the tape but there is an excellent product available which looks like silicone sealant (although it isn't) and will fix leaks even underwater in seconds. When I find out what it is I will post it on here. They do sell it on QVC. I've seen it demonstrated quite a few times.

S-bond? The down-side of S-bond is the nozzle self-sealing after the first use so you can't get any product out the next time. Review are very poor!

"snap"

I’ve got a tub of Plumbers Mait which I’ve used for years to seal small leaks under the kitchen sink. I also live alone and find it impossible to re-tighten the joints sufficiently to stop leaks - my hands are too small and my grip isn’t strong enough.

Anyway I don’t know how effective it would be on a ‘gusher’ but I’ll look it up in a minute if I can find it in the garage.

EDIT: found it on Amazon (I bought mine in B&Q)- pretty accurate description so you’ll be able to decide if it’s what you need. It’s cheap enough anyway and it keeps for years even after first opened.
Evo Stik Plumbers Mait 750g 456006 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P03TM/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Thanks all ! I knew I'd get honest answers on here. I will do as suggested and try the 'bucket leak' test, more than anything to know what to do 'just in case', rather than stand in blind panic !!!

We've fixed multiple leaks with the S-Bond. It has literally saved us thousands of pounds on a roof leak. We've used it twice on two different leaks over the years and it's lasted. It's also been used to fix things to walls etc.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain to get out of the can and yes, it leaves a "snob" in the end of the tube that you have to pull out (which we've now got the hang of). But it's damn good stuff and we always have a fresh tube here.

I say tube as you can buy the sealant tubes that need a gun (like silicone tubes) direct from Supa-fix.com for £7.99.

I did show the Navy Seal stuff to OH and he said order it to try on other jobs that need more area coverage, so we'll see. I bought the first lot of Supabond from Q to try in case it was rubbish, but it's one of the top 3 buys from Q for us.

No harm in trying it, Brissles. Have a look at Supabond stuff on their website, too.

Hopefully, you'll never need it, but sh!t happens sometimes and you'll be prepared.

ETA: when we fixed the roof leak initially we thought it would be a temporary job and we'd still need a roofer to replace the roof, but the Supabond has done such a great job we've not needed to.

Thanks all ! I knew I'd get honest answers on here. I will do as suggested and try the 'bucket leak' test, more than anything to know what to do 'just in case', rather than stand in blind panic !!!

Good idea, Brissles. My bathroom flooded out recently due to a crack in a (copper) tank. (Not sure how that happened). The tank is situated in a cupboard in the bathroom and there is a cold water tank above the hot one. Absolute nightmare.

One thing that is important is to know where the water stopcock is located and to exercise it. Most people don't do this and then discover it has seized up and will not operate.

I have ordered a white roll from Amazon, not that the colour matter if it does the job.
I hope I never have to find out.

I have just done the same! I do have some duct tape in the household.products stored under the sink and when my old bath developed a split before I had the room replaced I used that, but it wasn't 100% sealed. I hope this roll can live under the sink and never be seen again but good to have something which might stop a flood before you can get the plumbers in. Hopefully no emergency would be So severe I need more than one roll. I was flooded.out when my upstairs neighbour's tank burst but don't think and adhesive tape could have helped in that situation :mysmilie_505::mysmilie_505:

So brissles!!! Your query got two more purchasers, LOL.

Good idea, Brissles. My bathroom flooded out recently due to a crack in a (copper) tank. (Not sure how that happened). The tank is situated in a cupboard in the bathroom and there is a cold water tank above the hot one. Absolute nightmare.

One thing that is important is to know where the water stopcock is located and to exercise it. Most people don't do this and then discover it has seized up and will not operate.

I was going to add the comment re the stopcock....sooo important to know it's location.

My roll of this from Amazon arrived today and has been stored under the sink, where I hope it can stay undisturbed. Funnily enough I have had terrible trouble with the sink recently, slowing down into almost a trickle. But I think I have forced it into submission after attacking it rigourously with a plunger and Buster unblocker! I am going to buy a plumber's snake (quiet at the back please!) tomorrow from Robert Dyas which I also hope never to use.

My roll of this from Amazon arrived today and has been stored under the sink, where I hope it can stay undisturbed. Funnily enough I have had terrible trouble with the sink recently, slowing down into almost a trickle. But I think I have forced it into submission after attacking it rigourously with a plunger and Buster unblocker! I am going to buy a plumber's snake (quiet at the back please!) tomorrow from Robert Dyas which I also hope never to use.

Plumber's snake ! :mysmilie_15: Make sure it's a big one ! :mysmilie_11:

Actually I'm going for the smaller one. I think it will be easier to manipulate........

Actually I'm going for the smaller one. I think it will be easier to manipulate........

:mysmilie_11:

I don't actually know what a plumber's snake is - I've never seen one - (wrong kind of plumber?) What does a plumber's snake do? Does it have eyes (etc) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
:mysmilie_11:

I don't actually know what a plumber's snake is - I've never seen one - (wrong kind of plumber?) What does a plumber's snake do? Does it have eyes (etc) ?

It's a flexible metal rod you feed down the sink and wiggle about round the u bend to break up any blockage.

Even easier than the snake is to get a strong alkali such as sodium hydroxide and use it overnight.

Shockingly, the Ecozone enzyme sticks actually work well. Dunno if they'd cope with a full-on blockage, but for maintenance they're great. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING has ever killed smells from the sink like these things.

Latest posts

Back