Ultrasun TSV 20/3/19

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I could not decide between the Malibu & the Calypso after sun with insect repellent. Went for the Calypso, still got bitten, will try the Malibu one next time.
I checked the reviews on Amazon before deciding between the two and Malibu repellent won hands down. I like the pump bottle in Calypso after sun and use it as hand lotion. At first I was tempted by Calypso mosquito repellent because their sunscreen is excellent quality and one would expect the same of their after sun products.
Just been to Pondstretcher and the bottles are tiny in real life I almost missed them.

Anyone know if the repellant stops horseflies and ticks?

Not that I'm likely to pick up a tick in my back garden, but the horseflies are waiting for me the minute I step out the back door. I spend very little time outside but I bought a swing last year and would have liked to have sat in it for my breakfast cuppa, but no. They're on me the second I sit down.

I'm starting to check the dog over for ticks when he comes back from a walk now, too. Does anyone know if they can survive a dunk in water? The dog always goes for a swim in the river at the bottom of the road. He's always reluctant to come out but OH has started calling him out several times now so he has several good shakings after each swim.

Anyone know if the repellant stops horseflies and ticks?

Not that I'm likely to pick up a tick in my back garden, but the horseflies are waiting for me the minute I step out the back door. I spend very little time outside but I bought a swing last year and would have liked to have sat in it for my breakfast cuppa, but no. They're on me the second I sit down.

I'm starting to check the dog over for ticks when he comes back from a walk now, too. Does anyone know if they can survive a dunk in water? The dog always goes for a swim in the river at the bottom of the road. He's always reluctant to come out but OH has started calling him out several times now so he has several good shakings after each swim.

I believe tics can survive a few dunkings. They have small but highly efficient pincers that they hold on with.
Some of the professional dog flea products (spot on style) cover tics & fleas. Mine is Advocate & does such, but it is chemical heavy. I find this is necessary in order to be effective, as the similar & popular 'Frontline' often is not.
I have a naughty Spaniel that will go in any/every cover (working strain spaniel) if this helps. He adores bouncing in long grass - alas I do not adore combing the burs out of his ears/balls/feathers/feet & getting the sticky plant off him - he resembles a Christmas tree after a walk.

Horseflies....evil. Again you need something good. Deet is effective but unpleasant,chemical heavy. I've heard from many that Avon SSS body moisture spray works well. This was echoed on here, but I've not tried it personally.

I believe tics can survive a few dunkings. They have small but highly efficient pincers that they hold on with.
Some of the professional dog flea products (spot on style) cover tics & fleas. Mine is Advocate & does such, but it is chemical heavy. I find this is necessary in order to be effective, as the similar & popular 'Frontline' often is not.
I have a naughty Spaniel that will go in any/every cover (working strain spaniel) if this helps. He adores bouncing in long grass - alas I do not adore combing the burs out of his ears/balls/feathers/feet & getting the sticky plant off him - he resembles a Christmas tree after a walk.

Horseflies....evil. Again you need something good. Deet is effective but unpleasant,chemical heavy. I've heard from many that Avon SSS body moisture spray works well. This was echoed on here, but I've not tried it personally.

Thanks, SB. We have a Springer, too. I can't remember the stuff we use but it's similar to Frontline etc., but it stops ear mite, too (bothered him awfully until we switched from one monthly spot-on to this). I'll check it covers ticks, too.

I've tried the Avon stuff and it did used to work for me on night-time midges, but it's not keeping horseflies away. I've used extra strong Deet 50% before but the mozzies still targeted me. I was in a group of six people and there was a cloud of them just around me :mysmilie_10:

Thanks, SB. We have a Springer, too. I can't remember the stuff we use but it's similar to Frontline etc., but it stops ear mite, too (bothered him awfully until we switched from one monthly spot-on to this). I'll check it covers ticks, too.

I've tried the Avon stuff and it did used to work for me on night-time midges, but it's not keeping horseflies away. I've used extra strong Deet 50% before but the mozzies still targeted me. I was in a group of six people and there was a cloud of them just around me :mysmilie_10:

The mozzers adore me too. Mr B doesn't need to repel in even foreign mozzer areas - no need - they aren't interested when I'm about to munch on. They prefer females & especially me. If you're like me then just cover up. Long loose trousers, long sleeved kaftan type thing & then deet/other on just wrists/ankles feet. The fact that you live by water means there will be biters. I believe that mozzers like nice perfume/deo smells. Also read that taking lots of vitamin b can put them off, so perhaps read up? Why not enjoy your garden & perhaps try burning a citronella candle /similar - again read up. Many synthetics about. Another idea is to have a brazier/ firepit in the garden. Doesn't have to be expensive - shop around/knock something up until you can afford something better? Mosquito coils that you burn are good, but don't know if avail in this country. You could try ebay?

Last edited:
I do not adore combing the burs out of his ears/balls after a walk.

Watch that comb :mysmilie_13::mysmilie_13:

Avon SSS original works on repelling mossies as I usually get eaten alive but they don't seem to like the smell of SSS. Has to be the original one though.

CC

Just spotted a review on Avon website
https://www.avon.uk.com/product/5072/skin-so-soft-original-dry-oil-spray
Excellent insect repellant
Borrowed some from a friend, outstanding insect repellant, even worked with horseflies, which normally swarm me. Also smells good and not greasy!

To add:

FREE Standard Delivery when you buy 3 Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Sprays with code DRYOIL; that was a bit of a coincidence! I think I've been tagged.

I've snapped mine!

Latest posts

Back