Alison Young in Daily Mail

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

With AY doing less and less beauty TSVs maybe she’s branching away from QVC now so has to be less of a salesperson, and recommend things that people are actually buying on the web/high street, only took 25 years though.

Why would anyone pay £315 for a haircut (presumably a wash, cut and dry)? Would it really look that much better than done by someone charging a quarter of that? You wake up next day and the style is probably gone (well, it definitely would be on me). I really balk at paying anything over £50/£60 for my very straight hair and only get it done for special occasions, when I get them to give it volume and loose waves. If it's just a regular cut/trim, I can't justify those sorts of prices. Oh well, each to their own - I do actually think people should spend their money on what they like. I am just tight.

I'd love a good peripatetic hairdresser charging reasonable prices, like yours.
Peripatetic Kevin is wonderful, although I did actually enjoy going to the salon. It was quite trendy, so unusual for me! I actually think he charges £35 which is even better but I give him a tip cos I have been seeing him for years and he is a pal. Luckily I do my own colour so don't have that expense. I would imagine that would be another £50-70.

Well possibly apart from the nail file she needs to ask for her money back. I have never seen a so called beauty expert who looks as if she has been pulled through a hedge backwards as AY. When I look at the state of her I know the lotions and snake oil she peddles is worthless. She actually makes CE look neat and tidy!

Well possibly apart from the nail file she needs to ask for her money back. I have never seen a so called beauty expert who looks as if she has been pulled through a hedge backwards as AY. When I look at the state of her I know the lotions and snake oil she peddles is worthless. She actually makes CE look neat and tidy!

Harsh but :mysmilie_17:

I don't mind AY really. At least she is rather imperfect (like me) and laughs at herself. I can see why she irritates people though.

I agree, you wouldn’t go to a hairdresser with a bad haircut or a makeup artist that looks like a Drag Queen, yet AY stands there expecting people to fall for the hype while she looks like a bag of spanners. The beauty industry is all about perfection so you know AY is just a salesperson with crooked teeth, a bad haircut and bad dress sense. I do realise that’s harsh too and I’m not perfect (almost) but I’m not on tv trying to sell people an image and parting them from their hard earned cash whilst making them worry about their imperfections.........phew! there I’ve said it :mysmilie_17:

They have a feature today called What The Beauty Gurus Buy and AY is there with another 10. These include Jo Malone, Thea Green, Sarah Chapman. These are Alison's:
Can't Live Without - Shavata. Goes once month for threading which makes you look younger and more modern.
Brilliant Bargain - Leighton Denny Crystal Nail File.
Little Luxury - medical pedicure at Margaret Dabbs clinic in Guildford.
On speed dial - Simon Bryer, hairdresser at Michael Van Clarke (cuts start £195).

I am amazed this wasn't just a litany of Q products. In fact I was amazed not to see Elasticiser there, but Thea Green can't live without that. Most of them had their hairdressers down.

If my bulls**t detector is working correctly, I believe she 'says' her hairdresser comes to her house & is female. Racket alert!

AY is wasting her money in Shavata, we haven't seen her brows in years under the fringe of that expensive haircut.
I don't suppose she mentioned how much she spends on her dentist? Zero?

I also think the Shavata part is rubbish. Commercial backscratching. A lot of it about.

Last edited by a moderator:
The real list would probably be:

Alberto Balsam shampoo / conditioner - £1 per bottle in Savers
A basic L'Oréal face cream with cherry stem extract - £5 (for her face area) - 'cos she's worth it
Cheap foot scrub from a pound shop - for her corned feet area
Rimmel foundation - to hide those imperfections

I totally agree with LATI. A beauty expert should look how she’s telling the customers they should look instead she looks a mess. Her hair is awful at times and her makeup looks garish to me. You don’t have to be very young or very slim to be a beauty expert but you do need to look well groomed with good hair and makeup and decent looking teeth would be a bonus.

Latest posts

Back