Retinol and sun protection.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
I like JW Retinol products and use the Night cream, not continually but perhaps for a month & then back to Decleor, Elemis, but I find it gives my skin a wake up call.Today I have ordered some more & the neck version but I have not seen presentations and wondered if they have mentioned the need for sun protection when using Retinol products? I use Ultrasun 30 face @ the moment but will move to Factor 50, do you use this over or under a Retinol product? Any advice? thanks!

I cannot use retinol sensitive skin, but I have read many times you must use SPF and the retinol will always go on first. It resurfaces the skin so goes on naked skin.

I cannot use retinol sensitive skin, but I have read many times you must use SPF and the retinol will always go on first. It resurfaces the skin so goes on naked skin.

It's much more sensible to use Ret. at night only, & decent sunscreen in the day. That's certainly what I'd do for sure.

Retinol,AHA and Glycolic need a high SPF. I am using Pixi Glow at the moment and on a sunny day use SPF50 and SPF30 the rest of the time.

I use retinol at night and sun factor during the day. I'm sure that Abbie Cleve said that sun factor was needed if you use retinol (when her retinol was the BPOM) and she suggested only using retinol at night. It probably depends on your skin though.

Yes I have been using the Retinol products at night & sun protection during the day so will stick to that.Just wondering about the JW Retinol Day Cream?

Yes I have been using the Retinol products at night & sun protection during the day so will stick to that.Just wondering about the JW Retinol Day Cream?

Depends on the type of ret. Without seeing the ingredient listing, 'my good practice' advice would be as above, but there are many types of retinol, & all are not =.

As others have said, it's best to only use Retinol at night, and a high level of spf in the daytime.
Also go gently with Retinol if you're a first time user - only twice a week to start with.

Thanks for the advise I do not know a lot about Retinol products except you have to use sun protection.The JW range has made a visible difference to my skin in general condition but rotate mainly with Decleor, LE or Elemis.At nearly 72 what more can I ask for!

All the retinol products I've seen have stated night use only.

I did wonder why she'd be selling a retinol day cream. Unless it's a retinol cream with no retinol in it, but meant to protect from the rest of the retinol range. If you see what I mean. It's past my bedtime :sleepy:

All the retinol products I've seen have stated night use only.

I did wonder why she'd be selling a retinol day cream. Unless it's a retinol cream with no retinol in it, but meant to protect from the rest of the retinol range. If you see what I mean. It's past my bedtime :sleepy:

I don't believe it's good practice for a skin care brand to do a retinol day cream. There are some variables to this statement, but I cba to do a big science post. I'd be interested to see the ingredients for this product.

Retinol should only be used at night and sun protection should be used in the day. I was prescribed both the tablets and the creams by a skin consultant. The consultant also prescribed me a strong sun protection cream for use during the day whilst I was being treated.

Retinol should only be used at night and sun protection should be used in the day. I was prescribed both the tablets and the creams by a skin consultant. The consultant also prescribed me a strong sun protection cream for use during the day whilst I was being treated.

Oooh, was it Ultrasun 'on prescription' then?:mysmilie_17:

I haven't seen any beauty expert recommending retinol products for daytime use. All are unanimous about the need for SPF. Q are missing a trick if they don't at least flash up SPF products when showing both retinol and glycolic products. It's pretty simple to think, if you are resurfacing the skin in any way, you will have vulnerable new skin exposed: it needs protection from UVA, UVB and a whole load of pollution the daytime world will throw at it.

Latest posts

Back