Batch Codes From QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dream Girl

Registered Shopper
With the enlightenment from an informed forum member that an item received in the latest Liz Earle TSV is actually already two years old.
Should we be posting batch code dates from items we receive?
As I personally would be unaware how old the items I’m being sent out to me are.
And how many times do presenters say stock up at these prices the item will last 2-3 years unopened. But with no mention that thevstorage time may well have already been used up prior to its arrival to you.

Thanks but I for one thinking of buying say the LE TSV thinking to stock up or already adding to a stash would be interested to know if items were close on expiring. Plus I believe QVC should be more accountable as they promote themselves as major suppliers of brands selling more say in a day than other retailers in a year. Well that being so it should be fresh stock and having not been on a little shops shelf for months on end.

Going to say this most cosmetic checkers are US based and do not have Liz Earle.

We use them for perfume usually(older is better), and a number of houses are just not there. I think contacting Liz Earle direct and asking but would they actually tell you how their codes work? Some companies reuse batch code numbers as well. I had a Guerlain perfume which said 2016 when I know I bought it back in the early 00s.

There was a conversation on Facebook in a group I belong to, most like me go by smell and texture and ignore the use by dates.

Like just now Alison is on with a new Decleor duo supersize, it should be part of the sell that the brand ambassador says clearly that these items are fresh and expected to last x prior being opened. Or else why would anyone shell out for two of massive sized tubes. One may well have expired before you have used the first.

There are beauty items that are still on the website that have well gone past the sell/use by. QVC would rather the item go off and throw it away than reduce the price dramatically and get something back for it, the greedy buggers.

When you think about it a QVC tsv is an ideal way for brands to offload lots of stock which may be a year or so in age. They can team it with other items from the brand which are also possibly manufactured a while ago and make up the tsv offers.
I once remember someone on here disagreeing with me when chatting about an ABC tsv and I said well the same tsv could be bought elsewhere from a smaller beauty company and they argued that the stuff from Q would be fresher. Errr maybe not and judging by the amount of stuff Q stocks in their warehouse and keep resurrecting from time to time then I reckon they`d have lots of beauty stuff approaching the end of it`s life. One woman on their facebook page today has issues with a Tarte foundation which may be old stock because its thick and doesn`t apply easily.

I just can't get my head around brands selling old stock nearly out of date. How very dare they at the prices they charge. Wonder how long those tins of biscuits have been lying on the warehouse shelves :mysmilie_17:

CC

I know nothing about beauty items, but I have bought various gadgets as TSVs (eg Bose, Alexa etc) to discover just afterwards that a newer better model has come out.

Not quite the same as an expiry date (which I always ignore anyway) but very similar, QVC selling out of date gadgets.

QVC buy up old stock and sell it at new stock prices, because lob in a few easy pays and they know they can shift anything.

IW do it as well. Loads of their pick of the days that I've bought have been seconds or returns as they are either slightly damaged or I've discovered later that accessories are missing that should have been included. I don't mind if I'm getting something cheaper because it's a seconds but they really should make it clear in the sales pitch. Never had used clothes though from IW.

CC

The companies know they can shift loads of stock with QVC so if they have stuff sitting in the warehouse and want to put newer stock out they will push it to where they know it will sell.

Think of a store Boots, now Liz Earle sells well but let us say to 10 bottles of C&P a day they might sell QVC can sell thousands in a day. Even the Liz Earle website they may very well sell a few hundred of a product in a day but still won't match how many QVC could sell in an hour-long show.

IW do it as well. Loads of their pick of the days that I've bought have been seconds or returns as they are either slightly damaged or I've discovered later that accessories are missing that should have been included. I don't mind if I'm getting something cheaper because it's a seconds but they really should make it clear in the sales pitch. Never had used clothes though from IW.

CC

I have to disagree CC, the electrical items are mostly new models, I know because I’ve rang the brand and checked. I know I rate IW a lot but I’ve never had a “seconds” item, they sell way too much stock to have that many seconds**, and all the returns are sold on eBay were they clearly state if it’s a return, display model used by the presenters or there’s a cosmetic default, everything sold on the channel is new.

** I’m going on the basis that you must sell a lot of stock because you couldn’t survive 19 years selling a couple of Tefal Actifrys, which mine was in perfect condition and brand new model, no seconds here. :mysmilie_3: :mysmilie_17:

How stupid I’m I, I’d never thought about items lingering on the web site.

Not having a suspicious mind is honourable DG.

I know nothing about beauty items, but I have bought various gadgets as TSVs (eg Bose, Alexa etc) to discover just afterwards that a newer better model has come out.

Not quite the same as an expiry date (which I always ignore anyway) but very similar, QVC selling out of date gadgets.

All comes under the same umbrella strato.

I had my suspicions with a recent Elemis batch as each item was individually boxed. We know Q had shed loads of a TSV a few years back that we were sick to death hearing about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to say this most cosmetic checkers are US based and do not have Liz Earle.

We use them for perfume usually(older is better), and a number of houses are just not there. I think contacting Liz Earle direct and asking but would they actually tell you how their codes work? Some companies reuse batch code numbers as well. I had a Guerlain perfume which said 2016 when I know I bought it back in the early 00s.

There was a conversation on Facebook in a group I belong to, most like me go by smell and texture and ignore the use by dates.

This is not 'food stuff' though where 'smell' and 'texture' may be a key indicator, it is that the 'potency' of the ingredients will naturally degrade overtime, thus if the 'lotions and potions' inside the jar are not relatively 'fresh', then this would mean that when the product is being put on the body/face, it will not have enough of the potent ingredients to give the results that are 'stated' (rightly or wrongly), by the presenters. Maybe this is however, a good marketing ploy, make it so that the ingredients have 'just enough' potency, but not 'full potency', so that people will buy more!

If companies really wanted to be open they would but a proper date cosmetics produced such as 5/5/19 and then the whatever months to use by. Decleor used to do this with their balms a proper full date then changed to the industry-wide batch code and months to use.

The preservatives are what are suppose to keep the product useable they never talk about the degradation of the potency. And if they did then again they would use a proper use by date with the date of manufacture. A moisturiser is to moisturise if it was supposed to really do something does this magic ingredient to stop wrinkles etc just stop working on a certain date? With sunscreen, they do say 2 years max as the ingredient which stops the UVB etc will no longer be effective. All cosmetics are made in factories and sit in vats settling so the actual date should start from the day it was mixed in the factor. Foundations etc all have the same dating method but a foundation does not stop being what it is unless it separates it will still work at a foundation.

It was the EU who made the companies put the current how long a product should be used in. Chanel fought to the bitter end not to do it but lost in court. If you go back there never was a set date/months to use by.

Latest posts

Back