Slitty obsession

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Ok, what's with having a damn great slit to the thigh with the latest maxi dresses ????

I like the style of one a few weeks ago, and ended up sewing up the side slit. Showing the side of a 70 year old leg is not a good look to be honest, and just having the hem swishing my ankles is far more elegant - for me anyway.

All the designers appear to be going down this route, has it taken over from the shark bite and cold shoulder ??? and as for the one that Kim & Co are offering, well, its downright indecent, even the models are struggling to keep their dignity and spin around quickly to avoid the flash of thigh.

What purpose does it serve. It clearly doesn't save on fabric. So no, I don't like it, and much prefer a column straight down to the ankle.

I agree I am trying to find a nice long length summer dress but the side slits are a no no. I am in my late seventies and sometimes struggle to find comfortable but fashionable clothes. The designers seem to think we are old ladies and want frumpy old fashioned clothes. My years might make me sound old but I am not an old lady. Does that make sense?

Of course it makes sense ! We all try to make the best of ourselves. We are the generation who had parents who either looked 'their age' or older. My grandma always had the look of Ena Sharples about her, but Violet Carson (who played her) was roughly in her late 50's early 60's when she played her, which makes my Gran a similar age back then. Can you imagine looking like that now ????

When I look at photos of the Queen Mother dressed up to the nines in the 50's and 60's - the same thing springs to mind. Born in 1900 she would have been the age of whatever year she was photographed, but despite the tiaras and fur stoles she still looked 'old' by today's standards.

None of us are ever going to resemble Cathy McGowan lookalikes as we did in the 60's, but with a modern haircut, fashionable specs and clever dressing, we could look a few years younger - and showing off a leg with spider veins and blue veins up the side in a slitty maxi is not one of them !

Of course it makes sense ! We all try to make the best of ourselves. We are the generation who had parents who either looked 'their age' or older. My grandma always had the look of Ena Sharples about her, but Violet Carson (who played her) was roughly in her late 50's early 60's when she played her, which makes my Gran a similar age back then. Can you imagine looking like that now ????

When I look at photos of the Queen Mother dressed up to the nines in the 50's and 60's - the same thing springs to mind. Born in 1900 she would have been the age of whatever year she was photographed, but despite the tiaras and fur stoles she still looked 'old' by today's standards.

None of us are ever going to resemble Cathy McGowan lookalikes as we did in the 60's, but with a modern haircut, fashionable specs and clever dressing, we could look a few years younger - and showing off a leg with spider veins and blue veins up the side in a slitty maxi is not one of them !

I agree completely. I found a box of photos recently & it was interesting to see how much older &, sorry mum, frumpier my mother looked when she was 51 than she did when she was 65. I like wearing ankle boots, opaque tights, tunic dresses & a denim jacket in the winter & midi or maxi dresses in the summer. I've got 90% grey hair that's in a bob & I can't imagine what it must be like to have a perm - what my Mr T calls knitted hair. Having written all that it's about getting the balance right, I wouldn't wear a dress with a high split, one with a plunging neckline or a pair of shorts.

I always read reviews for whatever I'm looking at on Q. I find it quite interesting that most are the 45 and up age range. Does this mean that it's mostly 45 and up that buy from them or can be bothered to leave reviews?

Surely Q know who they're selling to? And surely they can stop with this obsession with adding "fashion" tweaks to items that would be quite okay otherwise?

Like Brissles, I will sew up a slit on a forgiving item (though I can't manage it with all of them due to their skimping). Youngsters would not dream of modifying or repairing (unless they're a fashion or design student). It would either go back or get thrown to landfill.

I'm a side-sleeper with large chesticles and the resulting creases starting to show. Although I probably still could get away with a bit of a plunge, I don't want to feel uncomfortable and constantly pulling edges together. Nor will I be buying one of those lace "modesty" panels any time soon!

And don't get me started on cap sleeves "specially for the older ladies who don't like their upper arms" (looking at you, Mark, from Lorraine, but I hear lots of presenters and stoilists at Q mention it). WTF? On what planet does a few inches at most, covering the top of the shoulders allow women conscious of their ageing arms to wear a top with confidence? I suppose they have to do something with all the material scraps left from their cold-shoulder offerings, though!

Much of Q's "fashion" seems so off-kilter. It tries too hard to add "fashion touches" to their clothing that just turns off the majority of both younger and older customers.

Have you not been listening to the the 2nd most annoying trailer where awful Vonda tells us we are getting fashion straight off the cat walk?

Have you not been listening to the the 2nd most annoying trailer where awful Vonda tells us we are getting fashion straight off the cat walk?

Don't get me started on that ! I don't like the woman's presenting style at all, everything she says just irritates me. Then Sod's law she often appears with Chloe or CHuntley - double whammy and the telly's off.

Don't get me started on that ! I don't like the woman's presenting style at all, everything she says just irritates me. Then Sod's law she often appears with Chloe or CHuntley - double whammy and the telly's off.

Ditto a thousand times.

I have no respect for BA who one minute flogging shoes, next a cardigan and then some other tat. If you went into JLP and the guy from the electronics department came over and sold you underwear and before you left he threw in a bit of makeup advice you would think you had gone down the market.

And WHY WHY WHY should ****** 'denim' be mentioned at every opportunity ?? handbags, shoes, trousers, tops, all are clumped together to 'work with yer denims'. It'll soon be sodding plant pots, saucepans and Gill 'annoying' Gaunt's dim sodding garden lights that will be matchy matchy with 'yer denims'.

I have ONE pair of denim jeans that are worn in the winter. My name is not Ruth Langsford or any other ageing sleb who are throwing denim at us in every shape and form. I wore it in abundance in the 60's but that time has long since past. I've grown up since then.

:mysmilie_455:

And WHY WHY WHY should ****** 'denim' be mentioned at every opportunity ?? handbags, shoes, trousers, tops, all are clumped together to 'work with yer denims'. It'll soon be sodding plant pots, saucepans and Gill 'annoying' Gaunt's dim sodding garden lights that will be matchy matchy with 'yer denims'.

I have ONE pair of denim jeans that are worn in the winter. My name is not Ruth Langsford or any other ageing sleb who are throwing denim at us in every shape and form. I wore it in abundance in the 60's but that time has long since past. I've grown up since then.

Not forgetting the “ crisp white shirt”. In all the time I’ve watched Q there have been 2. One a Trinny & Suranne and MW one which appears now and again.

I'd rather have root canal treatment, without anaesthetic, than watch either of those pairings.

:mysmilie_19: I love my denim jacket, it's got my granny's sweetheart brooch pinned on one of the pockets & I wear it with many different things, probably because I don't like cardigans. We've all said many times that the so-called stylists talk twaddle & the sales assistants are too superior to give out the information customers want so they fill the few minutes alloted to each item with what they assume sounds aspirational. They must think that the customer (middle-aged + woman) hears 'jeans & a crisp white shirt' & visualises herself as Jennifer Aniston or Jane Fonda. I saw a photo a few weeks ago of a pair of jeans from Prada that had feather trimming.

Latest posts

Back