MarlaWynne

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bunnytown

Registered Shopper
Is it just me who thinks this range is the emperor's new clothes? Today I saw a dress in the Layers range for £69 - £10 off apparently. It was chiffony and plain with a swirly design, apparently brilliant for wearing as a "glamour" beach cover-up, the presenter said, or dressed up for a wedding. It was so transparent it could only be worn with something underneath - one of the models wore it with a top underneath and leggings. My point is, the average person of normal means doesn't wear a wedding-worthy outfit as a swimsuit cover-up. Who is going to expose a fancy dress to sand, sea and suncream? And my other point is, if you ordered something on ebay at that price and it turned up so transparent you couldn't wear it on its own, you'd know you'd been conned.

My other problem with the range is that most of it does not seem very figure flattering. And the thin models mostly seem to be drowning in the designs, especially the balloon dress, which I see could flatter someone curvier. But the prices for this tat - oh my. You could get something really nice for that money.

Is it just me who thinks this range is the emperor's new clothes? Today I saw a dress in the Layers range for £69 - £10 off apparently. It was chiffony and plain with a swirly design, apparently brilliant for wearing as a "glamour" beach cover-up, the presenter said, or dressed up for a wedding. It was so transparent it could only be worn with something underneath - one of the models wore it with a top underneath and leggings. My point is, the average person of normal means doesn't wear a wedding-worthy outfit as a swimsuit cover-up. Who is going to expose a fancy dress to sand, sea and suncream? And my other point is, if you ordered something on ebay at that price and it turned up so transparent you couldn't wear it on its own, you'd know you'd been conned.

My other problem with the range is that most of it does not seem very figure flattering. And the thin models mostly seem to be drowning in the designs, especially the balloon dress, which I see could flatter someone curvier. But the prices for this tat - oh my. You could get something really nice for that money.

This is well written for the audience & I makes several good points in a very good way. I really think you should add it to the Q facebook page. Perhaps modified slightly if you want a chance of it staying up ('tat'). I will add that the range is a US one (big sizes) & is mostly made for larger girls. Given that most models are slim, they should really use the larger girls for the shows, as you say.

This is well written for the audience & I makes several good points in a very good way. I really think you should add it to the Q facebook page. Perhaps modified slightly if you want a chance of it staying up ('tat'). I will add that the range is a US one (big sizes) & is mostly made for larger girls. Given that most models are slim, they should really use the larger girls for the shows, as you say.

:mysmilie_471:

I totally agree Bunny, and what I don’t get is why Marla Wynne clothes, who no one ever heard of, requires a much higher price tag than Ben di Lisi, who also no ones ever heard of but at least he dressed Kate Winslet and other slebs. I buy a lot of my clothes from Ideal World, they’re more practical, but still look stylish/smart on, but more importantly, I don’t mind our gorgeous grandkiddies putting their sticky, chocolate covered hands when we’re playing on my top that only cost a fiver.

I have heard of Ben Di Lisi he's very famous way before Qvc. Marlawynnes stuff is very poorly cut and has far too much fabric in all the wrong places plus the fabrics are not very high end. the smaller sizes are graded better the plus sizes are quite dreadful.

I like the idea of this dress but not the reality.

I have two dresses similar but both came with a viscose jersey shift dress to wear underneath so you have a complete wearable outfit from the get go. I can wear the sheer dress over other things if I want to. Both of the sheer dresses though are more substantial than this one and more patterned so you have the floaty over layer but you can’t really see through it quite so easily. One by Chescha and one by Ronen Chen ... although they’re both by the same designer. Both well over three years old so this MW version is hardly new or ground breaking. And no I’ve never worn either to the beach.

I have a few MW things and I like the things I have but most were bought in the sale or as a TSV. Her original balloon dress being one her best.

I have heard of Ben Di Lisi he's very famous way before Qvc. Marlawynnes stuff is very poorly cut and has far too much fabric in all the wrong places plus the fabrics are not very high end. the smaller sizes are graded better the plus sizes are quite dreadful.

I agree,Ben de Lisi is one of the designers I have heard of before appearing on QVC, but I had never heard of Marla Wynne. The styles that Marla does always strike me as shapeless cover-ups to disguise the figure rather than flatter and at prices that I would never pay.

They are sold under the premise that they are fine high end viscose fabrics. In my case I have not found that to be the case. The summer dresses I have bought are fine for a day sitting in the garden or the park but I wouldn’t wear them to a wedding etc! I have kept them because I mostly can’t be bothered with the sending back. I know I am not alone in this and QVC benefit from this fact. I did send one dress back though. Part of it was black and when I washed it it looked like a rag which was covered in white flecks as if washed with a tissue, only it hadn’t!

Oh ok then, almost no ones ever heard of. :mysmilie_17:

The Emperor's new clothes describes this range perfectly in my opinion. I'm always amused by the way in which the sales assistants & guests swoon when they talk about Marla & her expertise in so many areas, such as the way she cuts trousers. I've got two items, a balloon dress from eBay & a coatigan, daft name, that was a cast off. They are well made & haven't developed the dreaded piling, whether that's because they are older & better quality material or because I'm careful I don't know. Would I have bought them at full price? No. Would I buy any of her stuff now? No. They've had a number of brands on the Q that sell voluminous garments & they're not practical in wet or cold weather, getting a coat over the balloon dress would be a task & putting a wrap over it would make me resemble that woman who ran the charity Kids Company.

I may be wrong but I think Ben de Lisi is the designer of the Principles range for Debenhams. If he brought similar clothes to QVC they would probably do well.I have several tops,a jacket and a dress from this range and they wash and wear well. The main difference with these and what he brings to QVC is the awful loud prints! Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent on a Marla Wynne thread, but it refers to earlier posts about never having heard of him. I do wonder at times whether the buyers at QVC could do with listening to a customer opinions panel to get the British marketing right.

For a minute then I’d completely forgotten Q did Marla’s creations :mysmilie_10:

The hours just started now with Alison wearing what looks like a tube length of elastic support stocking as a jacket.

Q hasn’t Marla not done beauty your missing a trick not having her on the beauty channel as well as the main and Style at the same time.

Even stupid magazines going articles about packing for holidays always assume you are going to either a beach or city holiday so they go on about wearing it at the beach or walking around dusty city streets and then out to dinner.

Well obviously they don’t sweat or get sun lotion on anything because I certainly wouldn’t want to wear something poolside everyday and then in the evening.

I’ll bet that in reality they are like the rest of us with the suitcase at max capacity.

I've liked some of the Marla clothes but they are out of my price range. I've bought so many clothes from QVC over the years and having looked at my wardrobe and all the things in there barely worn I shouldn't need to buy anything else for the rest of my life. All those never worn clothes used to be money. Tried to sell some on ebay but no one is buying anything unless it's 99p and you pay the postage.

CC

Whenever there is something 'flimsy' on - regardless of whose range it is, its always described as a cover up for a swimsuit, - as someone else commented, who would want to smother an expensive bit of rag with sun cream and sweat ???? when an outsize T shirt would suffice.

Everything, and I mean everything, is described as wearing with a "little denim jacket" or "worn over yer swimsuit", well, I doubt I'm alone when I say the amount of time I'm seen in a ****** swimsuit is rare than hen's teeth, and I've never owned a sodding denim jacket - they only look good on anyone under 25, and certainly not Ruth Langsford types with that hairstyle !!!

I agree but I've bought TWO swimsuits for my cruise (sorry, really not bragging) and I also bought a denim jacket (secondhand for £6). Won't be wearing the jacket over the cossie though as I'm definitely not under 25!

CC

I agree but I've bought TWO swimsuits for my cruise (sorry, really not bragging) and I also bought a denim jacket (secondhand for £6). Won't be wearing the jacket over the cossie though as I'm definitely not under 25!

CC

Croooooose? Where? What have I missed?

Who's having the dog?

Croooooose? Where? What have I missed?

Who's having the dog?

It's a once in a lifetime thing, a week round the Med. Never been on one before and Mr CC got us a good deal - big chance to wear all my QVC clothes LOL. People will be pointing and talking about me. Dog is going to the kennels. He loves it and they love him so he won't be lonely.

CC

Whenever there is something 'flimsy' on - regardless of whose range it is, its always described as a cover up for a swimsuit, - as someone else commented, who would want to smother an expensive bit of rag with sun cream and sweat ???? when an outsize T shirt would suffice.

Everything, and I mean everything, is described as wearing with a "little denim jacket" or "worn over yer swimsuit", well, I doubt I'm alone when I say the amount of time I'm seen in a ****** swimsuit is rare than hen's teeth, and I've never owned a sodding denim jacket - they only look good on anyone under 25, and certainly not Ruth Langsford types with that hairstyle !!!

I've got a denim jacket & I'm 60, I've also got one in pink cotton, same shape from Sainsburys. However, my hair isn't in the iron helmet style favoured by RL so I feel I can get away with wearing them.

Latest posts

Back