Instagram & Influencers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dream Girl

Registered Shopper
I’m sick and fed up of certain presenters together with their guests proudly announcing I should be buying x item because the like are featured on Instagram or a liked by influencers.
Like I’ve said previously I buy an item cause I like the look, want it cause it suits me, fits in with my need, fancy trying or already know the product.
I don’t take note to what’s trending on social media, what’s viral and the like.
Cause regarding fashion and accessories why would you want to be seen wearing the same as everyone?
I left school years ago, then finished wearing a nurses uniform 23 years ago.
I’m me, I think I still know my own mind, well at lease most of the time to make a my own choice.
No I’m not a leader but last I looked I’m not a sheep either, I don’t need presenters or stylists to tell me what to do and neither do I need to follow them.

:mysmilie_365:

Sorry :mysmilie_504:

:mysmilie_11:

Having a rather inquisitive nature I tuned into one of Pipa’s podcasts. Never again! On and on she went, lecturing the listener mostly about the pressure that social media places on people. These people really do have extremely inflated egos! Anyway, the funny thing was having bored me rigid for over half an hour she ended her broadcast by inviting her audience to check her out on her numerous social media platforms.

Having a rather inquisitive nature I tuned into one of Pipa’s podcasts. Never again! On and on she went, lecturing the listener mostly about the pressure that social media places on people. These people really do have extremely inflated egos! Anyway, the funny thing was having bored me rigid for over half an hour she ended her broadcast by inviting her audience to check her out on her numerous social media platforms.

I'm very inquisitive too (nosey?!) but not enough to make myself watch Pipa do anything! ;) And now your description has saved me the bother! Sounds painful! And is she not aware of the irony?!

Blimey! You have staying power Evie, bet you needed a cuppa after that.

That’s their problem, no self awareness, inflated egos and very poor judgement. I really do believe that the whole thing is run by a majority of youngsters with no real authority and this herd of egos is almost out of control. Did anyone catch Chloe’s video on her twitter where she performs what she describes as sit down dancing. Hurry, because she may come to her senses and removes it!

I think I mentioned this in another thread? Last week on a Facebook group someone mentioned they refused to buy from companies who treat the bloggers/influencers to all expenses trips to exotic places like Bali to launch their new products. Now we are used to the loads of freebies they get but now the game has been stepped up to long weekends to exotic places which come out of the budget for the product so really the customer ends up paying for it. A number of others also said they would no longer buy.

Now, the top companies for doing this believe it or not are actually being sold on QVC. Yes, Tarte and Benefit it seems are the ones who do this for the release of every new product. Jo Malone of course not on QVC is another one with the free holidays. I remember a few years back the outrage over Becca(also sold on QVC), letting a big US influencer release a palette under their brand. Big party people flew to an exotic place great reviews from them all. Then one blogger who did not get the freebie reviewed the palette and said actually the quality was awful and not up to Becca's standards. She actually did some digging and found out that the items in the palette were all generic made in China and had the Becca name put on them. What some brands do is go to companies in say China who make eyeshadows, blushers etc and pick the colours they want and get the end product released with their name on it. So Jacklyn Hill had just gone picked colours she liked and got the palettes made, she claimed ignorance about not realizing this was not done. Becca dropped the ball by letting her have free reign creating the palette. Now, I remember this palette was pushed everywhere with waiting for lists etc. It left a very sour taste with customers as the influencers reviewing it was the greatest thing ever had the free champagne holiday and the rest of the herd just followed with their opinions. Well apart from the one blogger who blew the whistle.

Unbelievable!

But then Pipa is so full of contradictions, it’s unreal.

Like for instance the fashion hour she started to preach about sustainability and items in her wardrobe not being throw away fashion. As at the time she was selling the higher priced Q items with that apt sales pitch. Then five minutes later harping on about being asked to advise on a persons wardrobe going back to work. So then she was chucking out all her stuff and advising buying her new wardrobe of clothes.

Katie P always ends her "presentations" saying we can follow her on Instagram.

No thanks! I've got better things to do with my life than spend time reading people's social media posts or looking at their photos.

To be honest, I don't give two hoots about what QVC presenters or celebrities are doing because, unlike them, I don't need sycophantic followers watching every move I make.

Gone right off Pipa I'm afraid and Katy is obsessed with Instagram and showing us all pictures of her perfect husband and children. Yes, they're lovely and clearly a happy family but stop putting them out there, it's showing off. Now, where's that photo of Mr CC sleeping in the deckchair in his vest and socks with his mouth wide open and the dog supping what's left of his beer. Interested anyone? :mysmilie_17:

CC

The world has gone ****** barmy, where we have people prostituting themselves to sell a few products - only these days its called 'influencing'.

QVC clearly haven't got a clue as to their viewing audience, only who they want to target - the young, who are joined at the hip with their phones. Ok its the way of the world, but incessant plugging of social media, wanting everyone to wear denim jackets and white plimsolls, or slashed to the thigh maxi dresses, is not the demographic who are slumped in the chair with tea and 3 donuts in front of them, and a copy of Womens Weekly to fan away the menopausal flushes !!!

The world has gone ****** barmy, where we have people prostituting themselves to sell a few products - only these days its called 'influencing'.

QVC clearly haven't got a clue as to their viewing audience, only who they want to target - the young, who are joined at the hip with their phones. Ok its the way of the world, but incessant plugging of social media, wanting everyone to wear denim jackets and white plimsolls, or slashed to the thigh maxi dresses, is not the demographic who are slumped in the chair with tea and 3 donuts in front of them, and a copy of Womens Weekly to fan away the menopausal flushes !!!

What an excellent post.

CC

Too right, Katie Pemberton said the TSV sandals are perfect for wearing to a garden party. I've been to parties in gardens but never a GARDEN PARTY.

No one goes to garden parties unless you're the queen or invited by the queen. Actually, I think my gran WAS invited to Holyrood Palace by the queen (don't know why unless very old). There's a picture of her with my mum at Holyrood so it must be true. I've never been to one in my life except my own.

CC

Too right, Katie Pemberton said the TSV sandals are perfect for wearing to a garden party. I've been to parties in gardens but never a GARDEN PARTY.

I thought they looked uncomfortable, particularly when the model bent her foot and the clumpy heel was flapping about. I think I've reached the age where unless the footbed is either cushion sole or Vionic then its a no no. (and this is me who worked all day for years in 3" stilettos)

Latest posts

Back