Returns - is this a QVC tactic to put you off?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

candycane

Registered Shopper
I was just packing up something to return it this morning when I had a thought. The items being returned are a 30ml pot of face cream and a 15ml serum, both small and would easily have fitted into an A5 padded envelope. QVC state that returns must be in original packaging and the box for these two small items is the size of a shoe box, filled with bubble wrap. Are QVC sending things out in oversized boxes knowing that it will cost a bit to return compared to an envelope/small packet? Are they hoping the cost will put you off returning?

CC

I wouldn't put it past them. They might also have a few standard sized boxes rather than a large range of different sizes. Production costs are likely to be less for more boxes in a few sizes than for fewer boxs in more sizes. Plus storage and selection of more sizes is more work.

I was just packing up something to return it this morning when I had a thought. The items being returned are a 30ml pot of face cream and a 15ml serum, both small and would easily have fitted into an A5 padded envelope. QVC state that returns must be in original packaging and the box for these two small items is the size of a shoe box, filled with bubble wrap. Are QVC sending things out in oversized boxes knowing that it will cost a bit to return compared to an envelope/small packet? Are they hoping the cost will put you off returning?

CC

It is most likely that whether in a padded envelope or shoe box size box it would be classed as a small parcel by RM so cost would be the same, £3 for 2nd class.

If you want to return something they will accept it without the original packaging. I had to do this on one occasion and rang CS before I returned it. I suppose it depends on which CS representative answers your call. Mine said it was fine ..... another one might say it isn't.

personally its best to box items most Jiffy bags are still £3. the original box even quite a good size one is still £3 plus the items are less likely to get crushed in transit

I was only allowed to return without original packaging when an item broke, not because I'd changed my mind. I don't send a lot back but a padded envelope costs a lot less to send compared with a shoe box sized parcel in our mobile PO. If I stopped buying then I wouldn't have the dilemma of returns :mysmilie_59:

CC

I was only allowed to return without original packaging when an item broke, not because I'd changed my mind. I don't send a lot back but a padded envelope costs a lot less to send compared with a shoe box sized parcel in our mobile PO. If I stopped buying then I wouldn't have the dilemma of returns :mysmilie_59:

CC

It depends how thick the padded envelope is once item is inside......padded envelope with items no thicker than 25mm can go as a large letter as opposed to a small parcel but a pot of moisturiser is very likely to be too thick to go as large letter.

My Mally purchase of 3 mascaras recently would easily have gone into a padded envelope, but no it was sent in a shoebox sized box with air filled plastic bits to fill up the box but luckily the postage was only £1.95

I don’t return items in original packaging and I’ve always been fine. The external packaging always gets recycled in wheelie bin. If I can I use the internal packaging.
As long as it’s packed ok, they are only going to throw cosmetics & creams away anyway.
Other items that are re saleable go to the outlet shop

If the original packaging is a must, then depending on how many items bought, you'd need a spare room to store all the packaging for 30 days !

If the original packaging is a must, then depending on how many items bought, you'd need a spare room to store all the packaging for 30 days !

Yes and I'm surprised at everyone's comments at not using the original packaging to return. That's why I haven't sent a lot of stuff back because the box was so big I threw it out. More fool me.

CC

The best returns are plants as you don't have to return them! I just had a refund for some that died despite my best efforts. No quibble, no photos needed. Pleased.

CC

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back