What is the point of Ruth Langsford ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sadly there are a definite lack of British women in their 50's who could be defined as a style icon. At one end there is mumsy Ruthy, trying too hard Lorraine Kelly, and at the other end of the spectrum there is Carol Vorderman who dresses like a tart (pictured today looking like Jessica Rabbit and wearing bondage sandals). Her and the younger Ambitious Holden make a fine pair.

My own personal favourite (if I was to be in my 50's again) is Sandra Bullock, she's fab.

My style icons are Joanna Lumley & Annette Bening. I agree that Sandra Bullock is fab, even if I always see her as Lucy in While You Were Sleeping.

When I first got wind that RL would be doing her fashion line, I thought to myself What, did I miss something . Let’s be honest here there is no way Ruth is a fashion icon in my world. If she wasn’t married to Eamon would we ever have heard of her? I doubt it.Together they have been all expenses paid, to mingle and travel with the rich and famous. Next thing we’ll know Michelle Mone will be telling us how to live on a budget, and showing us how to style our interiors, something she does but has no qualifications for. It takes years to study to become an interor designer!

If you think I jest, watch that space:mysmilie_8::mysmilie_17::mysmilie_454:

The answer to that is NO, she would still be reading the news in the South West I think. As for Loose Women, I only watched a couple of episodes when it started a decade ago, and felt it was just a vehicle for out of work actresses and those that wanted to 'raise their profile - which it surely did for one time weather girl Andrea McLean !!!

Well Twilight don't know about arthritis causing a fall but at 70 I find my balance can be a bit of a problem especially if I turn round a bit quick. Plenty of bruises on my legs when gardening I turn round quick and over balance.
That's unpleasant & even though you're aware of what happens there must be times when life takes over & trips you up - quite literally. I'd imagine RL wouldn't be too impressed receiving sympathy for a condition she probably doesn't have & the words 'a certain age' being applied to her at 59.

I don't mind Ruth-however as she's a similar age to me, I certainly don't see her as a representative of how I want to look.

Her style is very safe and a bit "Mumsy" and her hair is so old fashioned it ages her dreadfully.

I think QVC do see her as someone the 50+ audience would take notice of.....but not me!

To be honest my Mum was about her age when I got married, and she did look similarly dressed. I'm almost 71 and I KNOW I didn't go down THAT fashion path when I was almost 60 (and I still don't).

Her style can’t even be called classic it just downright dutsey like a lower tier banker. Even when she tries casual it looks like she has gone to dress down Friday against her will.

Brissles I agree with you. I still don’t watch Loose Women because I can’t stand it or the format. I don’t see what all the fuss is about because they have their fans. I watched it only once last year, but only for 10 minutes, then turned off. I haven’t seen a single one at all this year.

It has raised their profiles as you say and I think that’s its sole purpose.

I’ve watched a few of the fashion edits with Ruth and Jackie in answer to what is the point of Ruth Langsford is that she holds the shows together. With scatty Jackie doing the hours without Ruth it would be even more all over the shop and her even more of not a clue just what’s going on.

I’ve watched a few of the fashion edits with Ruth and Jackie in answer to what is the point of Ruth Langsford is that she holds the shows together. With scatty Jackie doing the hours without Ruth it would be even more all over the shop and her even more of not a clue just what’s going on.

That’s an expensive alternative to a P45 which is what Spaniel Ears would get in any other organisation.

Exactly as it was during the Together hour hosted, in the loosest sense of the word, by Ms Everton with Jenny the BA behaving as though she'd added sugar to her energy drink. She's going on holiday this Saturday & I feel sorry for those sitting near her on the 4 hour flight to Crete.

Oh when Jenny announced about being honoured to have been the first guest to be on with the new format.
I just knew with her who always goes off on one and with Chloe it just wouldn’t be held ‘together’ one bit.
Oh and Chloe’s phone rings and then she’s at the back of the wardrobe, then she gets out of the wardrobe the wrong top.
Then let’s poor Jenny say she got the wrong one out, no the heck she did, she flipping could reach it.

:mysmilie_17:

Oh when Jenny announced about being honoured to have been the first guest to be on with the new format.
I just knew with her who always goes off on one and with Chloe it just wouldn’t be held ‘together’ one bit.
Oh and Chloe’s phone rings and then she’s at the back of the wardrobe, then she gets out of the wardrobe the wrong top.
Then let’s poor Jenny say she got the wrong one out, no the heck she did, she flipping could reach it.

:mysmilie_17:

Gushed about being part of the QVC family & said that nothing looks as fresh as a white cotton sweater only to back track by saying the same thing about a denim blue one. I didn't see the part where her phone rang - what a pathetic specimen she is.

If it needs Ruth Langsford to 'hold' shows together, then QVC are in a worst state than previously thought ! All she does is promote clothing from QVC stock ranges, and ums and aahs and points out the minty and vanilla 'bits' in the prints, and the hi lo hemlines, or little catchy things called zips - all things that every presenter on the payroll could do.

Ruth has her notes she’s helped dressed the models she has a good idea from her notes on colours, sizes and accessories they are wearing. She appears to know the running order, knows what’s coming next, can handle the items putting things together and if there’s say two tops she’s organised with which goes with what. Lots of times she takes control whilst Jackie just reads from the item descriptions, giggles and just blunders her way through. Loads of times Jackie ends up questioning the producer about something and laughing her way through getting stuff mixed up, which she appears to think it’s ok and great fun.

Ruth has her notes she’s helped dressed the models she has a good idea from her notes on colours, sizes and accessories they are wearing. She appears to know the running order, knows what’s coming next, can handle the items putting things together and if there’s say two tops she’s organised with which goes with what. Lots of times she takes control whilst Jackie just reads from the item descriptions, giggles and just blunders her way through. Loads of times Jackie ends up questioning the producer about something and laughing her way through getting stuff mixed up, which she appears to think it’s ok and great fun.
I saw Kabler the gabbler describe how the virtual shopping basket only holds the items for 30 minutes. I must look & talk like her when I'm playing with my granddaughter & she 'drops' her toys; difference is that she's 13 months old, not a customer who's making a decision about spending money.

Brissles I agree with you. I still don’t watch Loose Women because I can’t stand it or the format. I don’t see what all the fuss is about because they have their fans. I watched it only once last year, but only for 10 minutes, then turned off. I haven’t seen a single one at all this year.

It has raised their profiles as you say and I think that’s its sole purpose.

I loathe the total dumbing-down of television & Loose(r) women epitomises that. I'll be furious if they dare to dumb down radio 4/The today programme....

Latest posts

Back