Beauty overload

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
We all know that beauty has taken over from jewellery and crafting, but dear Lord we are being force fed beauty products every day of the week and with monthly specials now.

Yesterday every time I turned to QVC there was Alison Young giving it welly on YET ANOTHER anti ageing/wrinkle reducing/peptide popping revolutionary cream/serum/facemask ! and the high end cosmetics all get slapped on with a brush like painting a wall, well, the same results could be reached with supermarket brands, its just packaging that's different.

If ever there was evidence that beauty is a billion pound industry then watching QVC hits the mark.

Every brand was promoting the same wondrous results- and usually the spiel was being presented by a smooth skinned 20 year old. Well if all these claims were true then every woman on the planet would not be looking older than 35 !!!!

We all have our favourites, as our skin needs nourishment from whether its a £3 tub of cream, E45 or a £100+ pot of 'elixer' that make those who can afford it feel good.

Watching these programmes made me realise that its not just supermarkets that need to rethink their packaging, but the beauty industry too, their double/triple wrapping of a huge box, cardboard and plastic for a small pot of cream is not the way to go anymore.

Rant over.

Whole days of the same products makes for poor viewing. Whilst I don’t like a bit of everything shows 3 or 4 TSVs of the same type per week is far far far too much.

I’m not into beauty but if you were how on earth could you afford/choose between 4 kits per week.

Unlike plants etc beauty seems to be mostly impulsive buys (chasing the elixir of youth/perfection ) so I can imagine the amount of EP’s must be astronomical for some.

Surely with all the beauty brands available on line and on the DHS Q isn’t that good a deal anymore so why they put so many eggs in the one basket seems foolhardy as once people know it suits them they will buy elsewhere.

I hate beauty days, weeks, months or whatever promotion they are always doing. If I see a beauty show I normally just turn off, although I do like nail product shows. It is just overkill. Oh for the days when shows were varied, and when they had a good range of jewellery products. Now it is all so dull.

I love beauty, but OMG enough already. They all promise the same thing, and in the majority of faces, I have to repeat, at their age, I never had a single wrinkle. Even now I have always taken care of my skin ans still only have laughter lines. An awful lot is in your genes. Ladies collectively we are making millionaires out of these women.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is Alison Young, how the heck after 25 years can she call herself “your resident beauty expert” when before joining QVC back in the day can she describe herself thus. She had only worked in the beauty industry for a handful of years before joining QVC. To my certain knowledge she does not practice her art outwith QVC instead she’s on the farm with the horses!

So how does this make her an expert. Experts are people who have practiced and studied their art for many years. If she had done so, and only joined QVC in the past 5 years, for me that would mean something!

RANTED!

It is Beauty Month so every single day will have at least 10 or more beauty shows not including if there is also a beauty TSV. I love cosmetics but I avoid QVC beauty month like the plague.

The truth is QVC beauty is old and tired, the same products with the odd new brand which you know will bugger off as soon as they build up a customer following.

AY can stand or lean more likely in the sky-high heels she cannot stand or walk in tell us endlessly she is a beauty expert. No, sweetie, you are a sales assistant there to push only brands that QVC chose to sell.

I love French beauty brands because for me the French in terms of beauty and fragrance cannot be bettered. Matis is a wonderful brand, bet you’ll never see it on Q

We all know that beauty has taken over from jewellery and crafting, but dear Lord we are being force fed beauty products every day of the week and with monthly specials now.

Yesterday every time I turned to QVC there was Alison Young giving it welly on YET ANOTHER anti ageing/wrinkle reducing/peptide popping revolutionary cream/serum/facemask ! and the high end cosmetics all get slapped on with a brush like painting a wall, well, the same results could be reached with supermarket brands, its just packaging that's different.

If ever there was evidence that beauty is a billion pound industry then watching QVC hits the mark.

Every brand was promoting the same wondrous results- and usually the spiel was being presented by a smooth skinned 20 year old. Well if all these claims were true then every woman on the planet would not be looking older than 35 !!!!

We all have our favourites, as our skin needs nourishment from whether its a £3 tub of cream, E45 or a £100+ pot of 'elixer' that make those who can afford it feel good.

Watching these programmes made me realise that its not just supermarkets that need to rethink their packaging, but the beauty industry too, their double/triple wrapping of a huge box, cardboard and plastic for a small pot of cream is not the way to go anymore.

Rant over.
Spot on Brissles, I do like a good deal on Decleor or Elemis but, it has to be something I want,will use and need.

I really like Elemis, but the TSVs no longer interest me. Bath products that I dislike the smell of, the cleansing water thing which I really dislike, prefer Emma Hardie cleansing balm. I know the cleansers I like the Pro-Radiance one or Sensitive Wash you never ever get the last one in a TSV.

Last month I went mad and bought an Elemis kit at £99, it was £145 before that and Elemis reduced the price everywhere £217 worth of products. Full size 50mls PCMC, 30mls Oxy night cream and full-size Pro Collagen eye serum. I use all of these products so for me it was like a TSV. I was lucky to have the money to buy it but decided since I did I just would and to hell with it.

Matis, I have used a few of their products really lovely brand.

I know the rep for Emma Hardie in Northern Ireland, she gives me samples of new products to try. The new Cleansing Gel is lovely by the way a lighter version of the balm that just rinses away.

Anyway, she travels around different stores SpaceNK(two in Belfast) and M&S. She has told me that in one day in Sprucefield M&S Lisburn she can and has sold over £2000 worth of products! Also Bangor a small seaside town M&S which is only a small one she has sold over £1000 quite easily. So the idea only QVC can sell big money is not what is used to be.

Beauty month is a bit unrelenting if you dont like beauty. I find the shows very repetitive. But I do like Alison Young and I have found her very informative over the years. It was only through watching her when I first started to watch Q that I even knew that some products existed!

I really like Elemis, but the TSVs no longer interest me. Bath products that I dislike the smell of, the cleansing water thing which I really dislike, prefer Emma Hardie cleansing balm. I know the cleansers I like the Pro-Radiance one or Sensitive Wash you never ever get the last one in a TSV.

Last month I went mad and bought an Elemis kit at £99, it was £145 before that and Elemis reduced the price everywhere £217 worth of products. Full size 50mls PCMC, 30mls Oxy night cream and full-size Pro Collagen eye serum. I use all of these products so for me it was like a TSV. I was lucky to have the money to buy it but decided since I did I just would and to hell with it.

Matis, I have used a few of their products really lovely brand.

I know the rep for Emma Hardie in Northern Ireland, she gives me samples of new products to try. The new Cleansing Gel is lovely by the way a lighter version of the balm that just rinses away.

Anyway, she travels around different stores SpaceNK(two in Belfast) and M&S. She has told me that in one day in Sprucefield M&S Lisburn she can and has sold over £2000 worth of products! Also Bangor a small seaside town M&S which is only a small one she has sold over £1000 quite easily. So the idea only QVC can sell big money is not what is used to be.

Gosh that must be repeat sales as at Sprucefield the products sort of just sit there no one really displaying them over and above any other brands. Folk must know what they want and just lift them off the shelves. 20% days always help this sort of thing.

Also, I have noticed M&S get the new products first. Harvest has told me of deals coming up only in M&S, last month it was buying two EH products and get a full-size Renewal Mask which costs £49 free. The new Cleansing Gel is exclusive to M&S at the moment other new products has also been exclusive. And yes the brilliant 20% deals.

M&S now sell so many brands that are on QVC so free delivery to your local store and then when 20% as well why would you want to buy from QVC?

It’s been years since I posted anything because of lifestyle changes but I dip in now and again to read the banter and this thread, Brissles , got me responding as you are right on the money. I saw the light and rethought the whole teleshopping nonsense. Avoid , reuse, recycle, bin. I’m a climate change activist and do my utmost never to by anything unsustainable. The only beauty products I buy are from LUSH and they are fabulous. Even buying by post the packaging is 100% sustainable and recyclable. I return their recycled bottles and containers to their shop and LUSH reuse them. I’ve had people stop me in the street and compliment me on my hair (which has returned to it’s natural grey) and couldn’t be happier with my appearance as I’m completely as nature made me. Nice though it is to watch the desperate measures the QVC presenters go to to tell us how much better our lives will be if we buy their c**p, we really don’t need it or it’s packaging to be happier people, we just need to avoid, reuse, recycle then bin and try to stop climate change. Time is running out so start today for our children. I used to think, why doesn’t someone do something about climate change, then I realised...I was someone.

What baffles me is I see people chomping at the bit to buy tsv`s or beauty items to stockpile and then in the next breath querying how can you tell if something has gone off or how do you tell an expiry date or does a beauty product lose its potency or something has turned a funny colour or gone milky, smells odd and so on and so on.
So this may be a daft question but humour me. Why the hell do people buy so much, so many beauty or makeup items and stash them away for such a long time that they either don`t work anymore, need binning or people forget they`ve got them in the first place ? It isn`t as if QVC along with every other beauty outlet will ever stop selling them and a bargain ml for ml tsv is only a bargain if every item is used and needed.

What baffles me is I see people chomping at the bit to buy tsv`s or beauty items to stockpile and then in the next breath querying how can you tell if something has gone off or how do you tell an expiry date or does a beauty product lose its potency or something has turned a funny colour or gone milky, smells odd and so on and so on.
So this may be a daft question but humour me. Why the hell do people buy so much, so many beauty or makeup items and stash them away for such a long time that they either don`t work anymore, need binning or people forget they`ve got them in the first place ? It isn`t as if QVC along with every other beauty outlet will ever stop selling them and a bargain ml for ml tsv is only a bargain if every item is used and needed.

I haven’t needed to buy any beauty products for myself from QVC this year.
I took everything out of the stash drawers and dated everything I could, I realised just how much I had and was astonished. I will not need to buy anything for at least 12 months if not longer.
You hit the nail on the head, it is only a bargain if every item is used.
I will continue to work out ml for ml for people to make an informed decision, but hope it doesn’t persuade anyone to just get it because it is a bargain.

Wayne Goss in one of his videos stated that the wall of products you see behind people on youtube etc showing their stockpiles etc. Most likely 90% is well out of date and gone off.

It’s been years since I posted anything because of lifestyle changes but I dip in now and again to read the banter and this thread, Brissles , got me responding as you are right on the money. I saw the light and rethought the whole teleshopping nonsense. Avoid , reuse, recycle, bin. I’m a climate change activist and do my utmost never to by anything unsustainable. The only beauty products I buy are from LUSH and they are fabulous. Even buying by post the packaging is 100% sustainable and recyclable. I return their recycled bottles and containers to their shop and LUSH reuse them. I’ve had people stop me in the street and compliment me on my hair (which has returned to it’s natural grey) and couldn’t be happier with my appearance as I’m completely as nature made me. Nice though it is to watch the desperate measures the QVC presenters go to to tell us how much better our lives will be if we buy their c**p, we really don’t need it or it’s packaging to be happier people, we just need to avoid, reuse, recycle then bin and try to stop climate change. Time is running out so start today for our children. I used to think, why doesn’t someone do something about climate change, then I realised...I was someone.

Lush have relaunched they're makeup range. I was in my local store and spotted the range, fell in love with one of the lipsticks. They come wrapped in wax paper and you buy the case which is the old fashioned push up rather than twist up,£16.50 for both but you can just buy the lipstick which is cheaper. The girl at the till asked if I wanted her to put the lipstick in the case? Yes, thank you. So she went on to tell if I have empty lipstick cases and want to buy another lipstick bright the empty case in and they will put one of their lipsticks into it.

The foundations and concealers are stick based and come wrapped in wax paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lush have relaunched they're makeup range. I was in my local store and spotted the range, fell in love with one of the lipsticks. They come wrapped in wax paper and you buy the case which is the old fashioned push up rather than twist up,£16.50 for both but you can just buy the lipstick which is cheaper. The girl at the till asked if I wanted her to put the lipstick in the case? Yes, thank you. So she went on to tell if I have empty lipstick cases and want to buy another lipstick bright the empty case in and they will put one of their lipsticks into it.

The foundations and concealers are stick based and come wrapped in wax paper.

I've just looked up the lipsticks on their website and got the impression that they were long lasting and even require an oily remover. This seems my type of lipstick and I should try one when I'm in the area.
The foundation looks interesting and very well designed for ease of use

Having just gone au natural (AKA grey!) I was given a purple shampoo by my hairdresser and whilst it does a good job I don’t like the mess. I assume the one you use isn’t coloured? Is it highly perfumed as I can’t use anything like that.

TIA

I use Daddy-o liquid shampoo with solid Daddy-o conditioner. They smell absolutely gorgeous and are completely organic, I suppose you could even eat them safely although they’ll taste pretty disgusting.��. Recently I used a Liverpool shop exclusive called AGA which was devine and turned my hair a gorgeous violet colour, wish I could get my hands on more but it was a limited edition. It was made from plums. I love it when I see a fellow silver haired devotee. It’s not about looking younger, it’s about looking good for your age. Go for it! x

I haven’t needed to buy any beauty products for myself from QVC this year.
I took everything out of the stash drawers and dated everything I could, I realised just how much I had and was astonished. I will not need to buy anything for at least 12 months if not longer.
You hit the nail on the head, it is only a bargain if every item is used.
I will continue to work out ml for ml for people to make an informed decision, but hope it doesn’t persuade anyone to just get it because it is a bargain.

I wish I was as organised as you....

Latest posts

Back