Perfect Formula TSV 18/07/19

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It does peel off me after a few days but I've had a much better result with it than I had with Nail Envy (which also peeled off).

To be fair my hands were always in water so even gels would peel off me. I've recently discovered the joys (and annoyances) of rubber gloves. They've probably made a bigger difference than any paint-on product, but PF helped my nails when they broke following vertical ridges right down to the quick. I was using fabric plaster to protect the ends of my fingers until I used PF.

It does peel off me after a few days but I've had a much better result with it than I had with Nail Envy (which also peeled off).

To be fair my hands were always in water so even gels would peel off me. I've recently discovered the joys (and annoyances) of rubber gloves. They've probably made a bigger difference than any paint-on product, but PF helped my nails when they broke following vertical ridges right down to the quick. I was using fabric plaster to protect the ends of my fingers until I used PF.

Can you tell me more? I too have vertical ridges to the quick - seems to be permanent damage - maybe caused by over zealous cuticle pushing with a metal tool? Did it work for you? How do I fix mine? Yes, I use oil, & tend to avoid polish. I'd say I'm clued up re hands & nails, but guilty of over buffing (yes, I know...)
How do I fix this?

Can you tell me more? I too have vertical ridges to the quick - seems to be permanent damage - maybe caused by over zealous cuticle pushing with a metal tool? Did it work for you? How do I fix mine? Yes, I use oil, & tend to avoid polish. I'd say I'm clued up re hands & nails, but guilty of over buffing (yes, I know...)
How do I fix this?

Looking for help too as I have the same problem with two nails, one on each hand.I have had this for a year now and no longer use nail polish as the free edge of my two nails keep catching on clothes,towels etc and file with a good crystal file only for it to happen again. Anyone got any good ideas?

I started noticing vertical ridges in my nails nearly 20 years ago. My old (excellent) GP ran a load of tests and concluded that my nails were ageing prematurely and he didn't usually see them go like that until menopause. Being the lovely gent he was he commented that my skin was still lovely and would probably stay good for many years (I like to think he was right!).

I noticed my toenails starting to ridge about 5-6 years ago, too.

I've tried all sorts in desperation. Superglue with layers of loo roll was one. I didn't care how it looked, just that it would stop them splitting along the ridge down to the quick. It ****** hurts! I tried gels but they just peeled cracked along the ridges.

It got so bad I was having to wrap fabric strapping plaster over the tops of the three fingers and thumb that the splitting's the worst just to allow it time to heal and grow past the quick.

I used Nail Envy (the clear pink one) from about last August until giving up in the New Year, gave it a few weeks then found an old bottle of pink Perfect Formula. I haven't used it now for the last month as it seems to have done something to strengthen them. They feel stronger and only one is still prone to splitting. I have no idea if it's the PF so I'm not using it to see if they start splitting again. If the do, I'll start with the PF and see if it stops them again.

Many years ago I had terrible peeling and soft nails. I used Mavala Scientifique for about a year and have never had it since. No idea if it was a fluke or the Mavala stuff but it seems too much of a coincidence to have not been.

Ladies with ridged and splitting nails, I feel your pain. Good luck.

PS The top-come-brush is a pain. There are many complaints about it on the reviews. It's about time they did something about it.

I swear by Leighton Denny Renovate better for me a moisturising cream to rub into the nails than these that are painted on.

Don’t rate this brand, peels off my nails but their crystal nail files are the best on the market.

Are they better than the ones from Leighton Denny? I've 6, bought them years ago, wash them every week give them a scrub with a nail brush & they're still wonderful.

One of the few areas of me I like are my hands: ring size K, neat fingers & oval shaped nails that have a clearly defined free edge. HOWEVER, these nails are beyond weak, have to be nurtured daily & two on my left hand have recently developed vertical ridges that split. The one on my little finger I keep very short & give it a fake free edge with white eyeliner under gloss, the one on my thumb is a pest & the only solution I've found is a tiny pice of teabag placed onto wet basecoat using a pin & then coated over, what a palaver. I use Burts Bees Hand Salve as a cuticle treatment when I go to bed & also use Autograph Triple 5 treatment from M&S & Nailtriton from Orly.

Are they better than the ones from Leighton Denny? I've 6, bought them years ago, wash them every week give them a scrub with a nail brush & they're still wonderful.

IMO yes Twilight. PF ones are perfect thickness and weight whether full size or handbag.

One of the few areas of me I like are my hands: ring size K, neat fingers & oval shaped nails that have a clearly defined free edge. HOWEVER, these nails are beyond weak, have to be nurtured daily & two on my left hand have recently developed vertical ridges that split. The one on my little finger I keep very short & give it a fake free edge with white eyeliner under gloss, the one on my thumb is a pest & the only solution I've found is a tiny pice of teabag placed onto wet basecoat using a pin & then coated over, what a palaver. I use Burts Bees Hand Salve as a cuticle treatment when I go to bed & also use Autograph Triple 5 treatment from M&S & Nailtriton from Orly.

I feel your pain. I'm on my second pot of Lush lemon-something-or-other. It's a BIG pot for a cuticle cream and the smell is strangely addictive.

I'm still standing by the PF as being the best thing for my nails (so far),and they've very similar to yours, Twilight. I was still having to use plaster strip or micropore on my fingertips to stop them tearing along the ridges, though.

It's so liberating to have nails that are no longer being covered by pieces of whatever or thickened with loo roll or teabag paper.

Perfect Formula 7 Piece Power In Pink Gel Coat Collection
Item Number: 239587
QVC Price £46.00
Todays Special Value Price £29.98
P&P £3.95

This seven-piece collection from Perfect Formula includes four Gel Coat colours in feminine neutral and pink shades, two keratin protein-rich Gel Coat tints designed to protect, brighten and strengthen your nails, plus a Manicure Booster, which helps to seal in colour for extra-long wear. Perfect your home manicure and pedicure routine with this superb nail colour and conditioning collection from Perfect Formula.
Stronger for longer - these gorgeous lacquers are developed with protein-rich keratin formulas and are designed to create a temporary thick coating, which helps to protect and maintain your nails' natural strength.

The power of pink - designed to enhance the look of your nails, both Ruby Pink and Pink Gel Coats offer a unique rosy tint and polished appearance you'll love. Wear these multi-tasking formulas alone or use as a base coat and top coat to add a salon-quality finish to manicures and pedicures.

Shine bright - Gel Coat colour and conditioning formulas are all infused with optical brighteners, which work to help filter out any yellow tones in the look of your nails, leaving you with brighter, healthier-looking nails.

Keep nails tip-top - choose our Auto Delivery option and receive Pink Gel Coat, Ruby Gel Coat, Manicure Booster and four new shades of Coloured Gel Coats in 60 days' time, at this fantastic price. It's a great way to stock up on an array of gorgeous, on-trend Perfect Formula shades.

Contains:

1 x Ruby Pink Gel Coat (18ml) - a translucent nail polish with a rich ruby gemstone-coloured tint for a vibrant, healthy look
1 x Pink Gel Coat (18ml) - a translucent nail polish with a pale pink tint to bring out the colour in your nail and give nail beds a pretty pink glow
4 x Coloured Gel Coats (8ml) - in Mystic (shimmering opal), Flamingo (pink-peach), Couture (dusty pink) and Sand (true, elegant nude) - offering the same fabulous Gel Coat formula to help strengthen and add a protein-rich coating over nails, these lacquers are perfect for updating your manicure or pedicure with an array of on-trend hues
1 x Manicure Booster (18ml) - works to seal in Gel Coat and nail polish colours, as well as to give your manicures a glossy-looking appearance

Auto Delivery drop contains:

1 x Ruby Pink Gel Coat (18ml)
1 x Pink Gel Coat (18ml)
4 x Coloured Gel Coats (8ml) - Breathless (pink nude), Pristine (mushroom-taupe nude), Burgundy (dark red) and Rose Copper (metallic, shimmering copper)
1 x Manicure Booster (18ml)

How to use:
Pink and Ruby Pink Gel Coat:

Apply directly to natural nails
Re-coat over the dry Gel Coat at anytime
Remove once a week with nail polish remover

Coloured Gel Coats:

Using 3 - 4 brush strokes, apply one coat to clean, dry nails and allow to dry
Apply a second coat if desired
No base coat or top coat is needed
Remove once a week with nail polish remover

Manicure Booster:

Apply one coat of Manicure Booster to clean, dry nails
Next, apply two coats of your preferred coloured Gel Coat
Apply Manicure Booster over the top to seal and finish

Delivery to UK mainland only

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.239587

I've had it on good authority that superglue is good for sticking a broken nail together.

Pest!!!! Great word. I love it but feel about 82 when I use it. I may start again for a laugh.

'Buzz off' is also great, (which I use to tell Obie off when he comes upstairs & won't go down again, because he's looking for pants to eat - don't feel it's right to tell an animal to 'go away', etc) but feel like an 'old Brenda'* saying that too.

* other 'old' names are available

My L.D file is ok, it's about 5 years old. I do wash it when it feels 'too smooth' but can't help but feel it has lost it's original file power. I remember the surface is guaranteed for 25 years; has anyone availed this?

I'm thinking about it but am unsure which of the LD companies to contact. Also I suspect that they'll make you pay over the odds to send you a new one, which will make it expensive to avail the guarantee.....Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
My nails have the ridges but my problem was that they were brittle and any free edge would shatter off or they would split horizontally halfway down so I would wrap the affected finger tips in plasters because I was terrified that I would catch one and rip it off.

About a year ago I started taking a Biotin tablet every morning now though my nails still have the ridges they are medium length with a free edge(I couldn't cope with long nails) only break occasionally, usually my fault, and I can't remember the last time a nail split.

Biotin is not expensive, I get mine from Amazon about £10 for 6 month supply.

I’ve just started taking stuff these last couple of months for hair, nails and skin - biotin in

I've had it on good authority that superglue is good for sticking a broken nail together.

Pest!!!! Great word. I love it but feel about 82 when I use it. I may start again for a laugh.

'Buzz off' is also great, (which I use to tell Obie off when he comes upstairs & won't go down again, because he's looking for pants to eat - don't feel it's right to tell an animal to 'go away', etc) but feel like an 'old Brenda'* saying that too.

* other 'old' names are available

My L.D file is ok, it's about 5 years old. I do wash it when it feels 'too smooth' but can't help but feel it has lost it's original file power. I remember the surface is guaranteed for 25 years; has anyone availed this?

I'm thinking about it but am unsure which of the LD companies to contact. Also I suspect that they'll make you pay over the odds to send you a new one, which will make it expensive to avail the guarantee.....Any thoughts?

I've always hoped that I'd see Leighton if I was on a train. This isn't a form of transport I use very often but I can remember him saying that if he was on a train & saw someone using an emery board he'd give them one of his files. I liked him & even though I've now been unfaithful, & bought the P F files, I'll always be grateful to him weening for me off sandpaper strips.

Latest posts

Back