Putting life into perspective

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was looking on the style channel and the video for item 178213 up. What in God’s name are those white shoes CE is wearing with black leggings and T shirt?

This sort of thing makes me mad. Employers don’t seem to realise that by ‘playing fair’ with employees usually reaps benefits for the company. I used to manage a large team and always tried my best to make sure people needing time off for bereavement, family illness, divorce etc felt that I supported them. Some took advantage but funnily enough their co-workers themselves took them to task. For me, it meant that I could always rely on getting someone in early or stay late, do a little something extra if necessary.

Sorry, sounds like a management lecture but it’s something I’m passionate about.

Thanks, EM.

I was a small employer once upon a time and always treated my employees as best I could (hard to give a lot of emergency cover with only a few to run it but I paid really well and gave as much planned time off as I could - both over legal minimum). I believe in treating people well - probably because I've put up with a lot of shitty employers in my time. Or should I say managers. I worked as a civil servant and in the NHS and managers in both were just awful. Entitled, thoughtless and careless.

My relatives died in mining and heavy industry jobs but to the managers they were cheap commodities that just got replaced by others that needed a job. My great aunt had to fight for years to get a ton of coal a year from the NCB as compensation for her husband's death.

My OH's union paid for a solicitor for his case but although they admitted fault, they fought it all the way so he came out with little over a year's pay - he's been off just over a year as his injury hasn't recovered and will need further minor surgery. What really pisses me off is that my OH, until his accident was the person they went to for all the extra overtime that people with families couldn't or wouldn't cover, Christmas Day and others like it were ALWAYS covered by him. I lost count of all the unpaid overtime added up by another extra hour here or there over the years.

He was going up through the ranks and was the "golden boy" until he said he'd rather stay doing what he was. It took a while before their coldness subsided. OH has the skills for management but not the temperament. He actually has a heart!

I'm amazed the place is still going. They bring in friends if there are posts going in upper management - people who know absolutely nothing about how the place works. One of the newer ones has no idea how to deal with industry men - he tries to treat them like children as he was a teacher! Nothing against teachers but if you retire with stress and a good pension I don't think you have any business taking a managerial post in heavy industry just because your friend can get you in. There are enough guys working up through the ranks there that know how the place works.

Anyway. Enough moans. Thank you for your support. You've obviously had your share of crap management, too.

I’ve never worn white non bridal shoes but have white summer sandals and even those I’m not sure about but as for white boots they scream hooker.

Sandals are OK in summer and I totally agree about white boots, awful. Jackie Kabler's a fan of white ankle boots and you might get away with them in a TV studio but you just wouldn't wear them out.

CC

Sandals are OK in summer and I totally agree about white boots, awful. Jackie Kabler's a fan of white ankle boots and you might get away with them in a TV studio but you just wouldn't wear them out.

CC

Everton & Kabler the gabbler were 'besties' & loved to post pictures of all the fun times they had together, usually in beer gardens, with Mr Kabler being the token male. I always thought it was an odd pairing but maybe they bonded over their mutual love of tacky footwear.

Pipa wears those same white ankle boots and she looks worse than JK as the last time I saw her I think she had on black wide leg crop trousers with them. Awful.

CC

Pipa wears those same white ankle boots and she looks worse than JK as the last time I saw her I think she had on black wide leg crop trousers with them. Awful.

CC

It could be that there's one pair & they all wear them. Yuck.

A failed attempt by all those sharing those boots to look trendy and edgy.

Those white ankle boots remind me of the white over-shoes “galoshes” worn by surgeons and pathologists in operating theatres and post mortem labs.

Those white ankle boots remind me of the white over-shoes “galoshes” worn by surgeons and pathologists in operating theatres and post mortem labs.
Now there's a USP for one of the sales assistants or stylists to trot out - 'autopsy chic'.

My dad had overshoes and we used to find them hilarious when they emerged every Winter, when Winters were Winters. His were black with a zip up the front.

Latest posts

Back