Putting life into perspective

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Twilight

Registered Shopper
I read about the bereavement Ruth Langsford experienced yesterday & have just seen the film of Eamonn Holmes trying to read her comment. His grief was palpable & Rylan's support was obvious. I hope QVC stop playing all the promos she does for the forseeable future.

Poor Ruth, I would think she will need time to grieve away from the public eye...

It may be she suffers from hay fever and breathing problems at this time of year if so I sympathise as I have those kind of problems and have been worse than usual just lately. Whatever it is I wish her well.

Ruth has a maxi dress TSV scheduled for a week on Saturday

The world keeps on turning & I've always found the day to day routine, including work, very helpful during the sad times. However, there has to be a balance & it may be that this TSV doesn't take place. When my mum was terminally ill I was criticised for still wearing make up, going to work & being 'me'. It was a lady, whose garden I walked passed every day & admired, who said the most comforting words to me - " The thread of life once dropped is hard to pick up". I carried on doing what I was doing just as my mum would have expected.

I doubt the TSV won’t go ahead, someone else will probably step in. In the world of QVC nothing, not even a bereavement stop the wheel of commerce turning. I read this about RL sister yesterday, it’s true when they say, how can your world change dramatically when you lose a loved one while the world keeps on turning.

The world keeps on turning & I've always found the day to day routine, including work, very helpful during the sad times. However, there has to be a balance & it may be that this TSV doesn't take place. When my mum was terminally ill I was criticised for still wearing make up, going to work & being 'me'. It was a lady, whose garden I walked passed every day & admired, who said the most comforting words to me - " The thread of life once dropped is hard to pick up". I carried on doing what I was doing just as my mum would have expected.

Perhaps like your mum our family were from a generation where jobs were hard won and you held on to it at all costs and there was no time off for family situations. My granny always said she wanted to die on a Thursday or Friday so she would be buried at the weekend and people wouldn’t need to take time off from their work! (Here folk were buried within 3 days unless unusual circumstances)

My mum was always worried if anyone had to take time off work as she was sure their employer would get rid of them. Thankfully times have changed.

Ah... LATI. Some employers maybe. My OH had an accident at work. Their fault. He wants to go back when he's fit, they want to get rid.

I'm so ****** angry at them. They're a big multi-national.

Times haven't changed enough.

Ah... LATI. Some employers maybe. My OH had an accident at work. Their fault. He wants to go back when he's fit, they want to get rid.

I'm so ****** angry at them. They're a big multi-national.

Times haven't changed enough.

That’s just awful. Is he part a union which could fight his case? Or have you tried Acas?

That’s just awful. Is he part a union which could fight his case? Or have you tried Acas?

Yes, he's union. They took his case to court where he won compensation for a leg injury. After the case their insurance people said they would be keeping the job open for a year. We didn't get that in writing, though, and now they're denying knowledge.

The Disability Act keeps being bandied around by the union but his HR are pretending not to hear.

Perhaps like your mum our family were from a generation where jobs were hard won and you held on to it at all costs and there was no time off for family situations. My granny always said she wanted to die on a Thursday or Friday so she would be buried at the weekend and people wouldn’t need to take time off from their work! (Here folk were buried within 3 days unless unusual circumstances)

My mum was always worried if anyone had to take time off work as she was sure their employer would get rid of them. Thankfully times have changed.

Yes, that past generation - a bit like the Queen, kept their emotions out of the public eye, and did their weeping behind closed doors.

Being of an age where I keep bringing my own mortality into question, and being a widowed childless orphan (no partner, children or parents), I often think that there wont be any heavy grieving at my passing. My brothers will shed a tear but will recover after a fortnight, and my distant nieces and nephews will no doubt think "oh dear how sad never mind".

I've already thought to put a sign on the crematorium door at my funeral, saying "I know you're all in a rush, but thanks for coming anyway" !!!

Yes, that past generation - a bit like the Queen, kept their emotions out of the public eye, and did their weeping behind closed doors.

Being of an age where I keep bringing my own mortality into question, and being a widowed childless orphan (no partner, children or parents), I often think that there wont be any heavy grieving at my passing. My brothers will shed a tear but will recover after a fortnight, and my distant nieces and nephews will no doubt think "oh dear how sad never mind".

I've already thought to put a sign on the crematorium door at my funeral, saying "I know you're all in a rush, but thanks for coming anyway" !!!

Brissles, I hope you have many more years. The above made me cry and then laugh - it’s so bittersweet. I hope you outlive them all and keep posting on here.

I hope Ruth is happy with whatever pans out regarding her TSV. Presenting and chatting about a maxi dress over a 24 hour period on live tv, just days after your sisters funeral in my opinion wouldn’t be easy, even being a harden live tv presenter.

I’m sure Vonda could step in as she seems to be font of all knowledge on Q.

My iPad keeps changing Vonda to Voda:mysmilie_11:

Poor Ruth. Her sister's long term illness was depression and reading between the lines, it seems that she took her own life. Apparently Ruth was very supportive and always on hand to help her so her shock at the loss and her grief, will probably be joined by nagging doubts about whether she could have done more.

As for QVC, they initially carried on broadcasting when Princess Diana died, even though the music channels had all ceased due to the mood of the nation. They eventually decided to cease after a few days (probably due to their viewing figures and orders being at the point of hitting zilch) and resumed after the funeral. When 9/11 happened, they ceased broadcasting immediately but were back on air by mid-evening, selling nail polish.

Last edited:
Poor Ruth. Her sister's long term illness was depression and reading between the lines, it seems that she took her own life. Apparently Ruth was very supportive and always on hand to help her so her shock at the loss and her grief, will probably be joined by nagging doubts about whether she could have done more.

As for QVC, they initially carried on broadcasting when Princess Diana died, even though the music channels had all ceased due to the mood of the nation. They eventually decided to cease after a few days (probably due to their viewing figures and orders being at the point of hitting zilch) and resumed after the funeral. When 9/11 happened, they ceased broadcasting immediately but were back on air by mid-evening, selling nail polish.

That’s interesting. I don’t think I saw QVC before about 2007. I would never have imagined QVC would stop broadcasting for anyone or anything other than a technical failure. Was 2001 the last time they went off air as far as you know? I wonder what it would take now.

I've always been a live for the moment, do it now person & so occupying the middle ground between my mum who was forever planning for tomorrow & my dad who truly believed that everything, from the weather to his golf score, was better yesterday. I also have a matter of fact attitude towards my eventual demise; I don't have a faith I can't see the point of someone I've never met talking over my dead body, to people who may be relieved I'm no longer around, in a place I'd never choose to visit. Consequently I've paid for a direct cremation & written down a list of items to be put in with me. I've also arranged that what's left will be made into a firework & there's a music playlist & menu written out for someone to follow so my burst of colour will start my final party. My jewellery's going to my animal charities & our wills & power of attorney are at the solicitors. I'm not fussed about anyone grieving for me, I'd rather they liked me as I am now.

I've always been a live for the moment, do it now person & so occupying the middle ground between my mum who was forever planning for tomorrow & my dad who truly believed that everything, from the weather to his golf score, was better yesterday. I also have a matter of fact attitude towards my eventual demise; I don't have a faith I can't see the point of someone I've never met talking over my dead body, to people who may be relieved I'm no longer around, in a place I'd never choose to visit. Consequently I've paid for a direct cremation & written down a list of items to be put in with me. I've also arranged that what's left will be made into a firework & there's a music playlist & menu written out for someone to follow so my burst of colour will start my final party. My jewellery's going to my animal charities & our wills & power of attorney are at the solicitors. I'm not fussed about anyone grieving for me, I'd rather they liked me as I am now.

Another very thoughtful, slightly bittersweet post. I wish I could be so level-headed. That’s a lovely “plan”, driven by sense and good humour. I might copy you!

That’s interesting. I don’t think I saw QVC before about 2007. I would never have imagined QVC would stop broadcasting for anyone or anything other than a technical failure. Was 2001 the last time they went off air as far as you know? I wonder what it would take now.
I'm unaware of them suspending broadcasting since the brief pause during 9/11. It was business as usual when the Queen Mother died. I'm not sure what they'll do when the Queen passes, apparently there's all sorts in place for the terrestrial TV channels to observe when that happens. QVC never used to broadcast live on Christmas Day (we got Alison Young's wedding video on a loop one year!) and as far as I know, they do now.

To be honest, I was really shocked that MTV and all the music channels acted the way they did when Diana died. Radio was playing solemn songs and I suppose the music channels weren't in a position to revise their playlists and schedules so swiftly. Instead, we just got a blank screen with a statement on why they weren't on air.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back