QVC versus LIDL

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Do these type of things not take up a lot of room in a suitcase? When I pack things get stuffed into every nook and cranny.

I pack all my fragile gadgets eg ipad, camera, chargers etc into suitably sized lock'n'locks, they give good protection from damage but add to the weight

I have these but from e bags the original and best (YKK zips) won't travel without them now. have lots of sizes. when I get to my hotel I just open the zips fold the lid over and place in chest of drawers. one will have underwear, one with socks, tops shorts nightwear etc etc. I keep one for dirty stuff and packing and unpacking is quicker and a lot les hassle. when they are not in use on holiday I but duvet sets in the larger cubes.

In the "olden days" suitcases were rigid and gave good protection, but these days with fabric cases, or very flimsy plastic, if your case ends up on the bottom of a stack all your fragile stuff will be damaged.

It is backwards progress IMO.

In the "olden days" suitcases were rigid and gave good protection, but these days with fabric cases, or very flimsy plastic, if your case ends up on the bottom of a stack all your fragile stuff will be damaged.

It is backwards progress IMO.

I would never put a tablet,camera etc in anything but hand luggage.

I have these but from e bags the original and best (YKK zips) won't travel without them now. have lots of sizes. when I get to my hotel I just open the zips fold the lid over and place in chest of drawers. one will have underwear, one with socks, tops shorts nightwear etc etc. I keep one for dirty stuff and packing and unpacking is quicker and a lot les hassle. when they are not in use on holiday I but duvet sets in the larger cubes.

That's very impressive & I like the idea of just placing the bags into drawers. The only issue for me would be that I 'split pack' our stuff between two cases but I'd have a go at adapting your system. I must be getting old because the first thing that comes to mind when holidays are mentioned is the thought of all the washing when we get home!

That's very impressive & I like the idea of just placing the bags into drawers. The only issue for me would be that I 'split pack' our stuff between two cases but I'd have a go at adapting your system. I must be getting old because the first thing that comes to mind when holidays are mentioned is the thought of all the washing when we get home!

Years ago when I went to Egypt I sent all my washing (minus underwear!) to the hotel laundry the day before I went home and had the whole lot done for a couple of pounds, ironed, folded and put in plastic bags. Straight out the case into the wardrobe, job done.

I think you can do the same on the cruise ship so I will most definitely be doing that. A week on Thursday :mysmilie_8:

CC

PS. Thank you to the person who posted about the Everything for £5 website, I got some great last minute things.

Packing ‘cubes’ can also save embarrassment if your suitcase bursts open but is put on the baggage carousel anyway. Everyone can see the contents (dirty laundry or even worse, personal & intimate items.). The owner is so horrified that they leave it to go round and round until it’s the only one and everyone has moved on to Customs.

Packing cubes are a good idea & started using them years ago but as already mentioned I like to tuck things like knickers, socks and the like into every little spare space & use the cubes for keeping charging leads and plugs etc.together.A few years ago on an extended tour I used the roll up vacuum bags to store a second set of undies for the latter part of the holiday.They were packed as flat as a board & when everyone else was rushing to the hotel laundry on an evening stopover I just pulled out set 2.

Years ago when I went to Egypt I sent all my washing (minus underwear!) to the hotel laundry the day before I went home and had the whole lot done for a couple of pounds, ironed, folded and put in plastic bags. Straight out the case into the wardrobe, job done.

I think you can do the same on the cruise ship so I will most definitely be doing that. A week on Thursday :mysmilie_8:

CC

PS. Thank you to the person who posted about the Everything for £5 website, I got some great last minute things.

Last year we met a couple who went on very long around the world cruises taking more than 8 weeks at a time asking how they coped with washing they said there were laundry rooms where you could do your own washing, they said there were some near fights with people leaving their stuff in the dryers only to return to find some other passenger had removed theirs and used the dryer themselves. Not sure if I was paying tens of thousands I would be arsed doing my own washing. Unlikely to arise on a normal 7/14 day cruise I imagine.

Have a lovely time

I take so many gadgets with me that I have to. I don't know the meaning of travelling light!

No Strato,ask my hubby,I have to take everything but the kitchen sink, just in case there is a chance I might need it. :mysmilie_378:

No Strato,ask my hubby,I have to take everything but the kitchen sink, just in case there is a chance I might need it. :mysmilie_378:

Same here. I just don’t know how others manage so well. I’m not into multiple wears out of items especially if it’s hot, like to at least start the day with a fresh outfit even if I’m a sticky mess an hour later. I always pay for as much luggage as we can handle- in the total cost of a holiday it doesn’t seem that big an extravagance and if pushed I would rather skip the odd coffee or wine. Mr L is the one to curtail it as he says he is no longe4 capable of lifting heavy luggage on to overhead racks

CC

Oh no,no,no,no! Every second of your cruise should be 'me time' not laundry time.

I've asked experienced cruisers about laundry as I love doing it and I've heard there are a lot of tiffs over people emptying dryers of someone else's clothes to use it themselves. I have no idea why the person using the dryer can't set an alarm on their phone to get back there on time if they're leaving it. While I don't think it's fun sitting around waiting for it, I don't think I'd be happy leaving mine. Most of the people I've talked to have said they use the laundry late at night or very early in the morning.

I used to be a bit of a make-do-and-mend-packing-maestro when I did go away. I used to split our belongings into the two suitcases on the way out in case one was lost. Packing cubes weren't on my radar then but I did use roll-up vacuum bags. Only for undies and crushable stuff, though. I used clean plastic bags for a few other things.

On the way home the plastic bags would have clothes sorted ready for the washer so I could open the cases and just empty the bags into the washer without sorting.

Before you go make sure you have 2-3 days of clothes including undies ready to wear so you don't have to kill yourself to get clothes washed as a priority.

I can't wait to hear all about your holiday :mysmilie_8:

It wasn't ME who did the laundry on holiday lol :mysmilie_859:, it was the hotel staff! I absolutely would not be standing by the washing machine on holiday as I do plenty of that at home. I'll have a thousand other things to do :beer::beer::glass::glass::glass::mysmilie_5:

CC

I have some of these. Cheapie ones and they’re OK. A good idea if you need a second set of packing. I did a recent trip where I was driving and had a few nights in one hotel and then a night in another. Meant I could take a small case and leave things in packing cubes in the car.

I’m just back from a villa holiday and I use the washing machine there so we come back with next to no laundry pile. Marvellous. Get your washing done whilst you sit in the shade reading a book and then put it out in the sunshine and it’s dry in an hour or two.

Latest posts

Back