Erica Davies - 'non influencer' ??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
So much for soshul meeja 'influencer' Erica Davies range of homewares then, clearly not 'influencing' QVC customers to buy her goods, as they've all been reduced to get rid of them ! She didn't even appear herself on the Sale show either, probably too busy 'influencing' herself to get out of the front door :

Perhaps she ought to collaborate with Ambitious Holden and have one big 'influencing' show, as its similar 'stuff'.:mysmilie_11:

It didn't influence me at all. The things looked boring and drab, no wonder it was a clearance hour.

I like the garden stuff but my garden is definitely olde worlde cottage rather than tropical so it wouldn't fit in and I just bought cushions and an outdoor rug for the caravan so no need for any of Erica's wares. Is "influencer" a paid job now then? Isn't it just someone posting photos on Instagram (if I even knew what that was lol)?

CC

CC I've only just discovered the term 'influencer' myself ! and yes, these people get paid for promoting products in their blogs/vlogs/dogs/bogs/fogs/ whatever. Apparently they can be savvy enough to get free hotel accommodation/free holidays/all manner of products, just for promoting it online to the gullible young -- (bit like QVC presenters lol !)

You can get the same sort of stuff for one-third the price in places like Home Sense and Dunelm.

I watched a documentary a few days ago - Ellie Undercover: Secrets of the Multi-Level Millionaires. It picked out two companies called Younique and Nuskin (I think). Fascinating and horrifying. It's still on BBC catchup I believe.

These vloggers/bloggers/influencers, it all seems such a fake world to me. After watching that it's more than fake, it's downright sinister. There are mainly young women being drawn into this scene and according to the documentary these companies are actively preying on them.

I honestly don't know what's going wrong with society today. I remember pyramid schemes when I was younger but they're apparently banned now. It's about time they started banning paid-for influencers and bloggers as it seems a lot of people can't tell the difference between honest opinions and advertising.

I'm naturally very cynical and was brought up to believe that if it seems to good to be true, it is. Not a lot of youngsters seem to have been blessed with this viewpoint these days and it's causing massive debt and heartbreak.

QVC has always preyed on older/disabled/lonely people with it's t-callers and 'friendly' selling techniques but these influencers are making me turn over more and more. I just don't want to hear the bullshit any more.

And while I'm on a roll - wtf is wrong with people these days any way? The floral display in our local park was vandalised last night. Then the same people (I assume) went on to vandalise some graves. The trouble is, when they're caught they're just told off or, worse, they're sympathised with for their sad upbringing!

The thing which baffles me (as an innocent OAP:mysmilie_50:) is why in God’s name people keep taking nude and sexual videos of themselves. If it wasn’t on a device then it couldn’t be broadcast to all and sundry and as for people being blackmailed often ending in suicide I just don’t understand it.

The thing which baffles me (as an innocent OAP:mysmilie_50:) is why in God’s name people keep taking nude and sexual videos of themselves. If it wasn’t on a device then it couldn’t be broadcast to all and sundry and as for people being blackmailed often ending in suicide I just don’t understand it.

I totally agree & wonder when these people would watch themselves. I don't like having my photo taken when fully clothed & avoid being filmed doing anything. My Mr T was delighted when I had to wear photo ID because he said that if I went missing he'd have something to show the police so they knew who to look for.

A few years ago I had an almighty row with my employer for refusing to have my photo attached to our website ”meet our team” so for years there was a blank outline next to my name but last time it was renewed they wore me down and I am there very much against my will although I did refuse to “pose” for it.

I have to agree LATI, I loathe having my photo taken, and I often say that the CIA/MI5/and any other 'authority' would find it difficult to track me down ! I'm not on s/media, don't have a satnav or smart phone, so my movements cant be tracked, and don't do online banking - I'm almost off the 'grid' so to speak - although my aged QVC account would be a starting point :mysmilie_11:

Apropos your earlier comment about the young 'exposing' themselves, it just beggars belief how low morals have sunk since the advent of social media. I'm not sure how far parenting is responsible either, because kids can be reprimanded but then unless their phones are confiscated they'll still go ahead and do what they do.

My parents word was law growing up, with the threat of a good hiding if I pushed the boundaries, but all that discipline went out of the window when kids discovered 'their rights' a couple of decades ago, especially at school where discipline was paramount, now its kids who have the whip hand and don't they know it. TV and film scriptwriters can carry some of the blame, when watching soaps or dramas, children never have to say please, thank you or sorry, they are seen to swear at parents with no comeback, so the young assume this is the norm and act it out in real life.

Its not going to be climate change that will end this planet, as the way our young are acting, it will be the planet of Sodom & Gomorrah. I think my generation had the best of times.

On an aside. Glastonbury is this weekend, so I wonder how many of those attending who went on climate change marches will leave behind their tents, thus creating more waste for the incinerators !!!!

A couple of months ago I decided to change the way I make up my eyes, drifted through You Tube for ideas & found a channel run by a very attractive American woman who had perfected the smokey eye look. I watched her, adapted her ideas to suit me & didn't think about her again. However, the next time I went on there were a few more of her blogs on every topic from arranging flowers (her home is classic French), through parenting advice to how to organise a walk-in closet. I could have wasted several days just catching up. In my humble opinion these people are all time limited because they only appeal to a narrow age band. A few years ago we'd have laughed at the idea of people becoming famous just because they told us what was the best stuff to clean the loo or how folding our clothes would bring us joy.

I have to agree LATI, I loathe having my photo taken, and I often say that the CIA/MI5/and any other 'authority' would find it difficult to track me down ! I'm not on s/media, don't have a satnav or smart phone, so my movements cant be tracked, and don't do online banking - I'm almost off the 'grid' so to speak - although my aged QVC account would be a starting point :mysmilie_11:

Apropos your earlier comment about the young 'exposing' themselves, it just beggars belief how low morals have sunk since the advent of social media. I'm not sure how far parenting is responsible either, because kids can be reprimanded but then unless their phones are confiscated they'll still go ahead and do what they do.

My parents word was law growing up, with the threat of a good hiding if I pushed the boundaries, but all that discipline went out of the window when kids discovered 'their rights' a couple of decades ago, especially at school where discipline was paramount, now its kids who have the whip hand and don't they know it. TV and film scriptwriters can carry some of the blame, when watching soaps or dramas, children never have to say please, thank you or sorry, they are seen to swear at parents with no comeback, so the young assume this is the norm and act it out in real life.

Its not going to be climate change that will end this planet, as the way our young are acting, it will be the planet of Sodom & Gomorrah. I think my generation had the best of times.

On an aside. Glastonbury is this weekend, so I wonder how many of those attending who went on climate change marches will leave behind their tents, thus creating more waste for the incinerators !!!!

Oh how right you are.

CC

I watched a documentary a few days ago - Ellie Undercover: Secrets of the Multi-Level Millionaires. It picked out two companies called Younique and Nuskin (I think). Fascinating and horrifying. It's still on BBC catchup I believe.

We watched this recently and our daughter(23)said she's bombarded with "opportunities" from MLM companies on a daily basis - including Nu Skin and Younique. Their tactics of isolating their recruits from any friends or family that try to talk them out if it or comment that the products are over-priced is insidious.

There's also a "sugar babies" app where young girls can "connect" with sugar daddies which seems to be Tinder-for-cash; effectively low budget call girls. I'm relieved to be a baby-boomer in so many ways, I wouldn't go back to being 20something :confused:

So much for soshul meeja 'influencer' Erica Davies range of homewares then, clearly not 'influencing' QVC customers to buy her goods, as they've all been reduced to get rid of them ! She didn't even appear herself on the Sale show either, probably too busy 'influencing' herself to get out of the front door :

Perhaps she ought to collaborate with Ambitious Holden and have one big 'influencing' show, as its similar 'stuff'.:mysmilie_11:

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of her. Maybe she needs a “mate” like Amanda Holden has in Fearne Cotton, to get her stuff in Hello magazine for extra “influence” and thereby make a few more pounds for herself and QVC.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...-cotton-supports-amanda-holden-homeware-line/

I am finding this thread fascinating. So much resonates with me and I am mystified by this whole influencing thing, too. How have people let social media take over their lives so much that people they don’t know except on a screen can influence what they do, buy, say and feel because of the image they have manufactured? Is it only us on here that can see right through the BS? I must take a look at the documentary on iPlayer.

Does anyone on here admit to having seen Love Island? There’s at least one of them on there that is a Social Media Influencer - that’s their job title. I hadn’t heard the exact name for it before but I knew the “role” existed. It seems it’s something to aspire to for many, and probably will be more so now it’s been talked about and “endorsed” on a tv show like this.

As for that woman who has become a millionaire by posting about cleaning words fail me. For a start does she look as if she has every done any housework?

Unfortunately I’m beginning to sound like my grandparents and parents in my opinion of people today but surely it isn’t just me who thinks that Love Island/Big Brother are just knocking shops and the idea of sitting as a family with young children to watch this is hardly good parenting yet I know many with preteens who do just that.

As for that woman who has become a millionaire by posting about cleaning words fail me. For a start does she look as if she has every done any housework?

Unfortunately I’m beginning to sound like my grandparents and parents in my opinion of people today but surely it isn’t just me who thinks that Love Island/Big Brother are just knocking shops and the idea of sitting as a family with young children to watch this is hardly good parenting yet I know many with preteens who do just that.

:mysmilie_17: knocking shops!

I confess I follow it out of fascination but I fast forward through some of it. It's a guilty pleasure. Some of them were talking about having David Attenborough narrate the show - I don't know what he would make of it and all their mating and other rituals. One thing I do like seeing is when the girls are putting on their make-up and it really is like paint-by-numbers the way they put 2 inch vertical parallel stripes of concealer under their eyes and strategic dabs of white highlighter here and there.

I just think the misfiring Amanda Holden range, and this new who is she range illustrate that Q have not got a clue what they are doing. They have lost sight of any of the things which made them a charming but addictive entertainment. They have forgotten that humans crave variety, and get bored with too much repetition. They have ignored the facts about their customer base - who they are and why they buy.

They are chasing after a market segment that they are not equipped to service. If they really want to chase a younger, social-media savvy consumer, they need a much better social media game, backed up by a website that works properly.

As it is, they have customers who are not prepared to pay out for cheap-looking products "designed" by people with no design credentials, let alone in the area they are supposed to boost sales for.

Celebrities are really only good for shifting things they can be seen using or wearing. We aren't in and out of their houses to see if the various wares they are peddling are really there - naturally we are skeptical. Let's face it, we too-often seen brand ambassadors bigging up Q while on Q to do a job, but strangely mute about Q when in Magazines, on other telly etc.

Sorry, Q - you need to go back to the drawingboard and make some serious improvements to the platforms you are using (tv, web, social media) before you will manage to tap into social media influencers' (SMIs)clout in a positive way... and given the number of issues with SMIs not declaring sponsored posts etc, their credibility is not at a high water mark at present.

As for your celebrities - just having a "name" really isn't enough. Are they believable peddling the wares they are peddling? A TV celebrity chef doing kitchen ware is believable. If they'd had AH doing risqué eveningwear, that would have been rather unpalatable but believable... homewares just doesn't add up to me.

There was a recent post on Arsebook from a young woman complaining about the clothes only suitable for dootsey grannies of 50/60. She said that they used young models for old people’s clothes.

Firstly someone needs to enlighten her that at 50/60 we are not in the coffin and WE think the so called fashions are 20+ years behind the times and secondly I’m not sure which young models she is seeing as most are nearer 40 than 30.

There was a recent post on Arsebook from a young woman complaining about the clothes only suitable for dootsey grannies of 50/60. She said that they used young models for old people’s clothes.

Firstly someone needs to enlighten her that at 50/60 we are not in the coffin and WE think the so called fashions are 20+ years behind the times and secondly I’m not sure which young models she is seeing as most are nearer 40 than 30.

Some of those models aren't as young as she thinks, for one thing... And let's face it, fashion and beauty industries have both been guilty for mostly using youngsters to market to older women.

We perpetuate it by buying anti-ageing potions where the ads feature young models... and that's an improvement on the prepubescent lovelies they were using a few years ago! I have fond memories of all the ads for elderly aids featuring women in their 30's and 40's. And Damart catalogues with limber young lovelies...

QVC are stuck in a US rut with timewarp fashion that was never in fashion, and waay to much stretchy floral polyester. It's far too expensive, even without the hit-or-miss sizing and exorbitant postage charges.

Back to the Love Island thing - I have never watched it and why would I want to watch fake, plastic people copping off with each other. The fact that two of their former contestants took their own lives is appalling and heart breaking so why is the show still on? Because millions watch it and it makes money. Too sad when profit is more important than a young person's life. It makes me really angry. Life has become all about sex and money.

CC

Latest posts

Back