who needs qvc ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I did many years ago, when the range of plus sizing was limited on the High Street, and catalogues only had a select choice above a size 18.

QVC with their 2xl and 3xl sizing were a bit of a revelation, and I bought into it with gusto. My wardrobe had such a variety of clothing that it had never seen before.

Fast forward 20 years, and the fashion industry has woken up to the fact that size 16 and above is here to stay, so shops and the internet are now awash with choice for us curvy girls like never before.

I have just received the latest Kaleidoscope autumn catalogue, and for the first time their sizing is up to a 28 for everything in their collection (admittedly their stuff does come up ridiculously small, but at least they're trying). AND its only one p & p price point regardless of how much is ordered, and free returns.

Clearly QVC are having to fight back with spasmodic items on free p & p, and now we have a complicated TSV with two being offered in a 24 hour period (I think, not sure about that), but there is very little else that inspires me to purchase from them in the quantities I once did.

There you have it in a nutshell, Brissles. When QVC started out, there were a load of untapped customer bases out there that were not being adequately served. Sadly, QVC has rested on its laurels for far too long. I think they are beginning to wake up to that, but far too late, and looking in the wrong directions for solutions.

For me, my very first purchase was Birkenstocks. I have very difficult feet and very few brands and styles work for me. The sheer variety of styles and colourways in Birks was an eye-opener for me... I'd never seen anything but Madrid (too flippy floppy for outside the home), and Gizeh (argh! toe posts) and normally in dull brown. I went mad on sparkly finishes, leopard print and more. After about 2 years, I discovered that German retailers were shipping to UK and that ended my love-in with QVC over Birks... but by then I'd graduated to the beauty. Nowadays I like to get value for money if I'm going to add to my shameful stash... and M&S and Superdrug own brands offer excellent products at a fraction of the premium priced Q offerings... and with the leaping bunny to boot.
Yes, Q keep missing out on opportunities to really lead in many markets - which they could do with their sales performance - and instead are foolishly chasing after fads they are really not geared up to support (too expensive and too slow for the younger customers they seem to aspire too), and they are still perceived as too downmarket for the "high end department store of Shopping Telly" someone once claimed them to be.

I have been getting an ad from Roman. Next day delivery if ordered before 10pm, 99p postage.

I wonder what happened to QVC's "buying power" when it comes to prices. They seem to sell at RRP rather than the street price. They are now far too expensive and many products I can find, literally, for half the price and usually with free P&P and much faster service.

Latest posts

Back