Churchills TSV 13/8/19

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

On QVC I’ve heard these tins that the awful bland, tasteless biscuits come in, referred to as “collectors items” although you’ll never see a Churchill’s biscuit tin auctioned off at Cristies or I doubt an heirloom, passed down to family or friends in a Will.

I had some very similar tins that had belonged to my Gran and I'd had them since a child putting buttons and the like inside. I threw them out not so long ago when de-cluttering. I also had dozens of old tobacco tins that had belonged to my dad which went in the bin but I wish I hadn't done that because apparently these are very collectible and I could have sold them :mysmilie_51:

I liked the Churchill tin that played the National Anthem - a worse piece of tat I have never seen.

CC

I have a phobia about tins probably because I grew up surrounded by them. My Mum stored her life in a tin and when she passed away and my Dad moved house I had the unenviable task of rooting out Mum`s tins. There was a tin full of buttons, one full of first aid stuff, another with shoe cleaning items, one with batteries, fuses and electrical wire, a tin filled with bars of soap, another with sewing thread, zips and needles, a tin under the sink with brillo pads and scourers in it, a tin in the bathroom holding dad`s razor blades, tweezers and scissors, one in her dressing table drawer which was filled with hairgrips and another larger tin filled with hair curlers and the list goes on and on. To say Mum loved her tins any tin, from Quality Street tins, large bisuit tins down to oxo cube tins is an understatement. Consequently I loathe tins ...

And the award for ‘Totally Over The Top Presentations Of Tins Of Biscuits’ .....
Goes to Kim daughter of the owner of Churchill’s biscuits

:mysmilie_5:

:mysmilie_466: :mysmilie_498: :movie:

I had some very similar tins that had belonged to my Gran and I'd had them since a child putting buttons and the like inside. I threw them out not so long ago when de-cluttering. I also had dozens of old tobacco tins that had belonged to my dad which went in the bin but I wish I hadn't done that because apparently these are very collectible and I could have sold them :mysmilie_51:

I liked the Churchill tin that played the National Anthem - a worse piece of tat I have never seen.

CC

Last year my Mr T needed an old tobacco tin because he was doing a talk about Shackleton at the school where our daughter teaches & it was the only prop he hadn't got. We were amazed at the prices they fetched on eBay, you'd have been half way to paying for your next cruise CC if you'd sold them.

I think giving chocolates unless they're Charbinniere & Walker, or biscuits for a gift is a cop out, and smacks of shoving a present in with the supermarket shop.

Churchill's Confectionery Set of 2 Decorative Tins with Biscuits

Single
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.809054

Auto-Delivery
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.809142

QVC Price £21.00
Todays Special Value Price £16.98
P&P £3.95

A set of two striking embossed biscuit tins from Churchill's Confectionery, filled with delicious biscuits and exquisitely decorated in your choice of Victorian or Princess designs. These gorgeous tins are perfect for giving as gifts any time of the year or for treating guests when they come to visit.
Victorian Christmas - wish a very merry Christmas to friends and family with this duo, depicting a festive family portrait on one tin and two rosy-cheeked ice skaters on the other, both framed by snow-dusted embossed ivy that contrasts with the vibrant striped red background. Filled with mouth-watering Shortbread Rounds and Belgian Chocolate Chunk biscuits, this delicious assortment makes a wonderful festive gift.

Princesses - a collaboration between Churchill's intricate embossing and Mucha's Art Nouveau ladies, these Princess tins are truly fabulous. Pretty pink flowers and a soft peach dress make 'Princess Spring' stand out against the deep emerald back drop, while Autumnal colours of yellow and burgundy set against a starry background bring 'Princess Autumn' to life. Enclosed you'll find scrumptious Raspberry and White Chocolate biscuits in one tin and deliciously moreish Chocolate Chunk and Hazelnut biscuits in the other.

Keep the cupboards stocked - choose our Auto Delivery option to receive a duo of seasonal tins twice more, with two Four Seasons Tins in November and two Daffodil Tins in February 2020, all at today's fantastic price.

Suitable for vegetarians
Free from artificial colours and flavourings
Made with RSPO certified sustainable palm oil
Storage conditions: store in a cool dry place away from sunlight
Shelf life: up to 12 months

Contains your choice of:

1 x Victorian Family Tin (300g) - with Shortbread Rounds
1 x Victorian Ice Skating Tin (300g) - with Belgian Chocolate Chunk Biscuits

Or

1 x Mucha Princess Spring Summer (300g) - with White Choc and Raspberry Biscuits
1 x Mucha Princess Autumn Winter (300g) - with Chocolate Chunk & hazelnut Biscuits

November Auto Delivery drop:

1 x Four Seasons Tin (250g) - with Chocolate Chip Shortbread
1 x Four Seasons Tin (250g) - with Fruit & Lemon Biscuits

February 2020 Auto Delivery drop:

1 x Daffodil Tin (300g) - with White Chocolate Raspberry Biscuits
1 x Daffodil Tin (300g) - with Shortbread Rounds

For allergens, nutritional information and ingredients please see attached document - allergens will be in bold

Delivered directly from Churchill's Confectionery: please allow 5 - 7 working days for delivery to UK mainland (including Highlands, islands and Northern Ireland)

Last year my Mr T needed an old tobacco tin because he was doing a talk about Shackleton at the school where our daughter teaches & it was the only prop he hadn't got. We were amazed at the prices they fetched on eBay, you'd have been half way to paying for your next cruise CC if you'd sold them.

I know :headbang: Couldn't take them with me, they had to go. I loved the smell of them too, pipe tobacco smells so different from cigarettes. Ah well, if I ever see them at a boot sale I'll buy them back lol.

CC

I have two old biscuit tins coming down from my Mum and my Granny.

One has birth/death certificates, originals going back to 1900. Oh and my grandfather's WW1 service record I did have my Dad's WW2 records too but my brother wanted them so took them to Canada.

The other is for thread and needles.

My aunt, I buy biscuits, tea and jams for at Xmas but she prefers M&S and you pick what flavours you want.

That's the thing - decades ago no one ever thought of 'collecting', so the stuff we have from our grandparents era is because they couldn't afford to replace it, so it gets handed down or chucked out. Which is why old tins were recycled into button boxes, tea caddies, money boxes etc etc. and even stood as 'ornaments' on the mantelpieces.

Now we have the likes of The Franklin Mint who churn out allegedly 'collectors pieces' in the form of plates, musical boxes and other expensive tat which are never going to realise even the purchase price in the decades to come - simply because of the numbers manufactured. The same with Churchill boxes, these can be picked up everywhere, and with the advent of the internet, there are very few things now that can be sold for a profit in years to come. The various antiques shows on the tv have shown that stuff we thought would fetch a fortune have sold for a derisory amount, and hardly worth the effort of sell. So perhaps these biscuit tins may be worth something in another 150 years when we wont be around to care !

I wouldn't buy either, even for a gift. It's a lot of money for a few biscuits and I don't like the tins. The tins for the 3rd drop look better, but I don't collect tins and nor do any of my friends so my money is safe.

I am also wondering why they're "celebrating" Christmas on 13th August. :thinking: The 25th July was bad enough, but now they seem to be choosing random dates.

I wouldn't buy either, even for a gift. It's a lot of money for a few biscuits and I don't like the tins. The tins for the 3rd drop look better, but I don't collect tins and nor do any of my friends so my money is safe.

I am also wondering why they're "celebrating" Christmas on 13th August. :thinking: The 25th July was bad enough, but now they seem to be choosing random dates.

Exactly what I was thinking Toril. The only thing I could come up with is that it's Christmas Eve 19 weeks today, but that can't be the reason surely? Although with Q, anything is possible I suppose.

Home Bargains, Aldi and other places had fancy tins of biscuits last year and much cheaper than the Churchill ones. I never buy them but I know some people like the tins so its worth checking out other stores. I know Aldi had a tin last year which was musical and shaped like a carousel for less than a fiver and I daresay the biscuits were as good if not better than the Churchill ones.

Close to Christmas last year I was in a supermarket in Cadiz, and I bought some small tins of sweeties,- the tins were beautiful with vintage Christmas scenes, and were also musical boxes, for under 5 Eur, - I bought half a dozen and the recipients were well chuffed, because it was something different.

Latest posts

Back