Summer Sale

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dream Girl

Registered Shopper
“The Summer Sale shop across our last reductions for the best savings this side of your next beach getaway with sizzling offers up for grabs it’s the perfect opportunity to keep your holiday a breeze, starts Monday at midnight and continues all day Tuesday”

Oh my word who’s writing these flipping adverts “this side of your next beach getaway” and “the perfect opportunity to keep your holiday a breeze,” what the heck is all that about :mysmilie_51:

Yep, the slogan writers do come up with a load of b.......cks - just like the presenters. My current pet hate is the way they describe everything is ideal for 'throwing over a swimsuit' , its getting to ridiculous levels now.

It’s like the “Lets Share Summer” slogan, their delusions of grandeur must make them think it’s theirs to share. :mysmilie_19:

“The Summer Sale shop across our last reductions for the best savings this side of your next beach getaway with sizzling offers up for grabs it’s the perfect opportunity to keep your holiday a breeze, starts Monday at midnight and continues all day Tuesday”

Oh my word who’s writing these flipping adverts “this side of your next beach getaway” and “the perfect opportunity to keep your holiday a breeze,” what the heck is all that about :mysmilie_51:

Poorly written.

I’m waiting for them to start using the word ‘woke’ out of normal context. I’ve come across it a few times lately and it sounds ridiculous to me. Has anyone else heard or read it if so please explain it to me.

Today its 'woke'. A few years ago it was, and who remembers the term 'U' and 'non-U' ? (I'm STILL trying to fathom that one out)

Don't know anything about the Mitford sisters, but if anyone's interested, the U =Upper Class.

U and non-U...wasn't that one of the Mitford sisters creation?

It was a professor of linguistics who came up with the term & Nancy Mitford put it in a magazine article & made it famous. Because I love words I considered a degree in linguistics & every uni had a few lines about the origin of this phrase. When I was a child I was best friends/worst enemies with the girl next door & we said defo & proper instead of definitely & really, more than 50 years later I still catch myself saying them.

It was a professor of linguistics who came up with the term & Nancy Mitford put it in a magazine article & made it famous. Because I love words I considered a degree in linguistics & every uni had a few lines about the origin of this phrase. When I was a child I was best friends/worst enemies with the girl next door & we said defo & proper instead of definitely & really, more than 50 years later I still catch myself saying them.

There were a whole list of expressions which were U or non-U. You can still find such lists around nowadays. Sometimes the U words are a bit more archaic, but sometimes they are more downright (for example if you can't hear someone clearly, or missed what they said: What? is U, and Pardon? is non-U).

See my post #6 on the Yardforce TSV thread, they are continuing with the drivel there.

I suspect it's deliberate!

QVC are clearly modelling their puffery on the spoken stylings of the eloquent Peter Simon (Ideal World presenter), who manages to use lots of words to say absolutely nothing that makes sense... and even better, to misuse words which have a vague similarity to a word he should use. He is a master of the art, and it would not surprise me in the slightest if some of the blurb writers at QVC have been learning how to do it from the expert in this field.

But so far QVC have not copied his famous phrase "just buy it" in a pleading voice, whether you want it or not lol.

I hear fibby Flint say that regularly, usually followed with something like "you won't regret it" or "you'll regret it if you don't" etc.

OMG Peter Simon is a complete nob. I just can't watch him and what about that weird Shaun (not the cruise one) and that "oi you" builder type bloke that you think will come round to your house and break your legs if you don't buy some old tat.

Makes Q presenters seem normal.

Anyone watching the sale at the moment? I mean, WTF are those green and purple monstrosities they are trying to flog for £19.98 and SIX POUNDS POSTAGE. I'd be ashamed to take them to the tip - everyone would point.

CC

I suspect it's deliberate!

QVC are clearly modelling their puffery on the spoken stylings of the eloquent Peter Simon (Ideal World presenter), who manages to use lots of words to say absolutely nothing that makes sense... and even better, to misuse words which have a vague similarity to a word he should use. He is a master of the art, and it would not surprise me in the slightest if some of the blurb writers at QVC have been learning how to do it from the expert in this field.

>>to misuse words which have a vague similarity to a word he should use. He is a master of the art>>

<< Malapropism!

OMG Peter Simon is a complete nob. I just can't watch him and what about that weird Shaun (not the cruise one) and that "oi you" builder type bloke that you think will come round to your house and break your legs if you don't buy some old tat.

Makes Q presenters seem normal.

Anyone watching the sale at the moment? I mean, WTF are those green and purple monstrosities they are trying to flog for £19.98 and SIX POUNDS POSTAGE. I'd be ashamed to take them to the tip - everyone would point.

CC

:mysmilie_15:

Latest posts

Back