Debbie Flint's presenting style

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Off she went to start her 'own' shopping channel which would be 'so much better than Q' well we all know how that turned out.

Why they allowed her back is beyond belief. It's like leaving your job and saying "up yours" to your bosses, only to come crawling back a few years later, can you imagine it.

Arrogance personified.

Did you ever see the documentary about the start of Ideal World? Flinty and Paul Lavers brought from QVC to front the new channel in a big opening all filmed. Showing behind the scenes the wife of the owner of IW hated Finty with a vengeance calling her a F*cking something. Next thing they had a fire and the channel closed down for a while and when it opened Flint had been dumped.:mysmilie_19:

This documentary might even be on youtube somewhere?

Did you ever see the documentary about the start of Ideal World? Flinty and Paul Lavers brought from QVC to front the new channel in a big opening all filmed. Showing behind the scenes the wife of the owner of IW hated Finty with a vengeance calling her a F*cking something. Next thing they had a fire and the channel closed down for a while and when it opened Flint had been dumped.:mysmilie_19:

It was. I'm sure the link was on a thread here. Video quality was poor by today's standards, but it was very interesting viewing.

It was. I'm sure the link was on a thread here. Video quality was poor by today's standards, but it was very interesting viewing.

It's still on YouTube. There's more than one version, none of which is great quality. This is probably the best? If you can't open it, google Ideal World Documentary 2000 Channel 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IrinauJuUg

It's still on YouTube. There's more than one version, none of which is great quality. This is probably the best? If you can't open it, google Ideal World Documentary 2000 Channel 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IrinauJuUg

Yes I remember this, she wasn’t liked at QVC so left for Ideal World, then they couldn’t stand her there either so QVC took her back, I bet Ideal World breath a massive sigh of relief and thank their lucky stars every single day because I very much doubt they’d be still there after almost 20 years if Del Boys rude, gurning gob was still there. :mysmilie_17:

Everyone was shocked when she was allowed back into QVC some years later(she did work for another channel that folded in-between), as no other presenter who left got their feet back under the tablet again

Yes I remember this, she wasn’t liked at QVC so left for Ideal World, then they couldn’t stand her there either so QVC took her back, I bet Ideal World breath a massive sigh of relief and thank their lucky stars every single day because I very much doubt they’d be still there after almost 20 years if Del Boys rude, gurning gob was still there. :mysmilie_17:

Edited, wrong place

Debbie was given a big send off by QVC when she left whereas PLavers wasn't given the big farewell with cake and showreal of outtakes. Debbie Flint's given reason for leaving was to work with the two American authors of "Seven Secrets of Thin People" who she'd appeared with on QVC with their earlier edition of the book and cassette tapes. I assume this is the reason returned to work for QVC.

Other presenters who left around that time, give or take a year or so: PLavers, Dean Wilson and Dave Bradford left Q to immediately join Ideal World or Shop! which I suppose means they won't be welcomed back.

Off Topic:
I liked Shop! - a gas bbq we bought from Shop! finally gave up the ghost this weekend after DS's birthday bash but 15+ years usage isn't bad, it was reduced from £85 to just under £30 when they were closing down the channel. I'd paid up front for a year's free postage for about a tenner which they then refunded because they closed before the year was complete so I'd had numerous deliveries for nothing! Good times! But maybe contributed to its demise?

Debbie Flint said on Ideal World she didn’t get on with her bosses at QVC (previous employers she said) or some of her colleagues and slagged QVC products off saying how much better Ideal World products are and how she “felt at home” at Ideal World, that’s why most people were shocked she was allowed back. As for bringing her a cake out you can take anything that’s said or done on shopping tv with a pinch of salt, it’s all smoke and mirrors (famous QVC saying)

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed watching it

You're welcome. I watched the first few minutes again myself but I have seen it before.

Had to laugh at Claire Sutton, right near the beginning, talking about what she disliked presenting the most and she said anything with software or technical. She even panicked with doing alarm clocks and having to talk at the same time, she said, as she talked (to camera in the documentary) and failed to get through the card-operated door as they filmed this!!

Dave Bradford!! Yes I liked him, seemed like a nice guy. Can't remember Dean Wilson on QVC and I absolutely cannot stand the man now he's on the craft channels. I loved Steve Whatley but he sadly died. He was great on the old fashion shows measuring out the inside legs and chatting up the ladies. Mr Lavers I could take or leave but he was OK. Others? Kara Tritton and Kara Baker, Anna doo dah, Claudia Sylvester, Sara Griffiths hmm now I'm forgetting.

CC

I really liked Kara Baker, but she hardly ever seemed to be on air, and didn't stay that long at QVC did she?

I really liked Paul Lavers.....interesting to note the three things he said you needed to be a good presenter are nowhere to be found with any of the current lot at IW :mysmilie_19:

Ahhhhhh, Brit Ekland in that video. It reminds me of the time I met her at a David Copperfield show. I was standing in a queue at a food counter and she was in front of me with a female friend and a little girl. The queue was really slow moving and she just turned around and started chatting :) I should have plucked up the courage to ask for her number :D

What!! THE Brit Ekland?? Didn't she date Rod Stewart? Not that I would date him of course, my mum likes him so that makes him a totally unsuitable partner for me :mysmilie_17:

Kara Baker got married and really did bore everyone with her boyfriend, engagement, wedding, honeymoon, boring going back to work, then she left. I wish her well and hope it all worked out.

CC

What!! THE Brit Ekland?? Didn't she date Rod Stewart? Not that I would date him of course, my mum likes him so that makes him a totally unsuitable partner for me :mysmilie_17:

Kara Baker got married and really did bore everyone with her boyfriend, engagement, wedding, honeymoon, boring going back to work, then she left. I wish her well and hope it all worked out.

CC

My mum loved Kara Baker & after she died I wrote to her saying how much my mum had liked her & how the Q had kept her company during the nights when she couldn't sleep. Kara phoned me a few days later thanking me for my card & said I had coped with grace. I always thought she was sweet natured & she would definitely not fit in with the way the Q is now.

The two Karas were with QVC at a time were QVC wanted their presenters to be polished and professional and be all about the goods as opposed to now, were they’re scruffy, unprofessional and it’s all about the presenter first. Some people didn’t like the first Bid Tv presenter at QVC, Carmel Thomas but I liked her, she did like to talk about her recent wedding but had the knack of talking about the item more.

My mum loved Kara Baker & after she died I wrote to her saying how much my mum had liked her & how the Q had kept her company during the nights when she couldn't sleep. Kara phoned me a few days later thanking me for my card & said I had coped with grace. I always thought she was sweet natured & she would definitely not fit in with the way the Q is now.

That’s really thoughtful and kind, doing something like that for a person can add a nice little touch during a very upsetting time and help leave a pleasant comforting memory.

Latest posts

Back