Todays Top Tech TSV 31/08/19

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lenovo IdeaPad 330 15.6" Laptop i5 7200U 8GB RAM 2TB Hard Drive
Item Number: 519380
QVC Price £529.00
Todays Special Value Price £468.96
P&P £5.95

The Lenovo IdeaPad 330 is a 15.6" laptop with an Intel 7th Gen i5 processor, stacked with premium processing and integrated graphics allowing you to enjoy seamless multi-tasking, picture and video viewing, as well as faster boot ups. Boasting 2TB of storage to give you plenty of storage space, and a special protective finish, make this durable, lightweight and easy to use laptop your go-to piece of tech for work or play, whether you're at home or on the move.
Immersive experience - with anti-glare technology, the 15.6" HD screen enables you to watch movies, surf the web, enjoy Netflix and more in stunning detail and deep, rich colours. The two stereo speakers with Dolby Audio ensure high quality sound too.

Excellent for every day - designed to meet all your productivity and entertainment needs, the IdeaPad 330 is ideal for both work and play. You can tackle daily tasks as well as demanding jobs quickly thanks to an Intel Core I5-7200U processor, 8GB RAM, Integrated Graphics, HD Clarity and premium metal details, plus enjoy a faster internet connection thanks to 802.11ac wireless support.

Space for it all - a 2TB hard drive gives you storage space for up to 550,000 digital photos, 500,000 songs, 850 hours of DVD quality video or 240 hours of HD video. You can also use the built in webcam and microphone for video chats with friends and family.

Bring memories to life - the latest update of Windows 10 includes an enhanced photo and video editor that makes it easier and more fun than ever to edit videos. From adding soundtracks to deploying 3D effects, bring your stories to life and share them easily with friends and family.

Built to last - a special protective finish helps to guard against wear and tear, while rubber detailing on the bottom maximises ventilation and extends component life.

What's in the box?

1 x laptop
1 x user manual
1 x charging cable

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.519380

I sell computers on a daily basis, and this one has two main drawbacks. Storage is HDD, when SSD is more efficient, faster, has no moving parts, as flash storage, and boot up is almost instant.
The processor is only a 7th gen intel. We are currently on 9th gen. Again, the difference in performance, and speed, is more evident in the latest gen.
For the specs, the price is not exactly vfm.
I have had the misfortune to have to deal with Lenovo customer services. They are clueless, rude, and unwilling to help.
Wonder if QVC will mention any of this?��

I sell computers on a daily basis, and this one has two main drawbacks. Storage is HDD, when SSD is more efficient, faster, has no moving parts, as flash storage, and boot up is almost instant.
The processor is only a 7th gen intel. We are currently on 9th gen. Again, the difference in performance, and speed, is more evident in the latest gen.
For the specs, the price is not exactly vfm.
I have had the misfortune to have to deal with Lenovo customer services. They are clueless, rude, and unwilling to help.
Wonder if QVC will mention any of this?��

I agree with all that is said, however as a 'power user', I have a gaming laptop and a Foundation Degree in IT, (not that is relevant), but whilst SSD is best, it is more expensive, saying that however, for a mid-range to lower power user, you can get for the price that this is being 'touted', get a reasonable spec PC for the same price with a 256GB or even 1/2TB drive. Also of course, people use (as I do the cloud) for a lot of storage, so unless you are a game player, then there isn't really a lot of need for a 'high volume' drive. Also of course, without a 'split drive' (with the SSD being the better one), for things like loading of the OS (Windows), then again this would slow the PC down quicker. I mean 2TB is going to take a heck of a long time to defrag.
Lenovo as brand I am not particularly sold on, when they first came out I had a 'yoga', but the tech was young, so overall it wasn't the best. I tend to stick to HP now, as I find that they are good, solid and reliable (until you use the screen as a pillow (not a good idea)), so yet another laptop that is last gen stock (it is 9th gen currently).

Oh and one final (and most important point) the 7200u is NOT the product number that is the processor speed of the Intel Core I5, if you want to compare how fast that is to others then a website that I use is www.cpubenchmark.com which lists all. The product number is actually Ideapad 330 and despite Lee stating that he had done 'extensive' research and couldn't find it, I did a minimal amount of research and found the exact same model in a well-known High Street catalogue shop, yes more (but cheaper after today) and also cheaper on another website, 'very thorough research' perhaps not!

Sorry rant over!

Sorry for the rant, it is just relatively rare that they have 'tech days' and they can't seem to get them right when they do!

They sell so many things by what they DON'T say.

I was fooled into thinking that 7th gen was the latest version, because they kept banging on and on about it.

BTW I bought an Acer TSV laptop from them years ago, I'm using it now, but I really dislike Win 10 and regret upgrading from Win 7. It takes ages to boot up.

But after all these years, I've always missed not having a built-in DVD/CD player, and have often thought about buying an external one. But today (SSHH, I feel so foolish) I discovered it HAS one, hidden away so I never found it before.

you can buy SSD's cheaply now a 480gb around £40 , i upgraded mine and boot up went from about 2 mins to about 20 seconds , well worth the outlay

They sell so many things by what they DON'T say.

I was fooled into thinking that 7th gen was the latest version, because they kept banging on and on about it.

BTW I bought an Acer TSV laptop from them years ago, I'm using it now, but I really dislike Win 10 and regret upgrading from Win 7. It takes ages to boot up.

But after all these years, I've always missed not having a built-in DVD/CD player, and have often thought about buying an external one. But today (SSHH, I feel so foolish) I discovered it HAS one, hidden away so I never found it before.

These recent posts I find really useful. I have been deliberating since SCW posted details. I have an old Acer which actually suits my needs but windows 7 isn't being supported from January 2020 so thought I should upgrade - although I dont know anyone who likes windows 10 and when trying to sort out issues for my mother haven't liked it either. So yorkrose, louise and strats thanks after hovering since yesterday I shan't buy this :mysmilie_59::mysmilie_59:

I agree with all that is said, however as a 'power user', I have a gaming laptop and a Foundation Degree in IT, (not that is relevant), but whilst SSD is best, it is more expensive, saying that however, for a mid-range to lower power user, you can get for the price that this is being 'touted', get a reasonable spec PC for the same price with a 256GB or even 1/2TB drive. Also of course, people use (as I do the cloud) for a lot of storage, so unless you are a game player, then there isn't really a lot of need for a 'high volume' drive. Also of course, without a 'split drive' (with the SSD being the better one), for things like loading of the OS (Windows), then again this would slow the PC down quicker. I mean 2TB is going to take a heck of a long time to defrag.
Lenovo as brand I am not particularly sold on, when they first came out I had a 'yoga', but the tech was young, so overall it wasn't the best. I tend to stick to HP now, as I find that they are good, solid and reliable (until you use the screen as a pillow (not a good idea)), so yet another laptop that is last gen stock (it is 9th gen currently).

Oh and one final (and most important point) the 7200u is NOT the product number that is the processor speed of the Intel Core I5, if you want to compare how fast that is to others then a website that I use is www.cpubenchmark.com which lists all. The product number is actually Ideapad 330 and despite Lee stating that he had done 'extensive' research and couldn't find it, I did a minimal amount of research and found the exact same model in a well-known High Street catalogue shop, yes more (but cheaper after today) and also cheaper on another website, 'very thorough research' perhaps not!

Sorry rant over!

Sorry for the rant, it is just relatively rare that they have 'tech days' and they can't seem to get them right when they do!

York rose, you are so right. Lee Hohbein - is he still on QVC - these “experts” ought to have some technical knowledge or, at the very least, provide viewers with the full specs of the machine, and the plus points, and drawbacks, of it. I get great job satisfaction, from providing my customers with the necessary information, to choose the most suitable machine for them. If I mislead, lie to, or withhold information, they know where I am, and can come back and call me on it. Lee is, essentially, a shopping telly presenter, defined by a misnomer. As with the other presenters, they can tell us anything, and get away with it. They are faces on screen. I am astounded that consumers still decide any product is right for them, based on the extolling of someone who is not exactly au fait with, or prepared to be honest about, computers.
Your point about ssd being more expensive, is not necessarily correct. For example, we currently have three GG ssd laptops, two Lenovo, one hp, £299. Basic everyday machine but, unless one is using it for intensive tasks, it will suffice and, at this price, excellent vfm.

My Acer laptop still has the stickers on it showing its spec, and I was looking at them to compare mine with the Lenovo (which I thought was very expensive BTW) when I discovered the spec included a DVD, which I then took ages to find and open it.

Most laptops on QVC have not included a DVD, and Lee implied it would be very unusual to have one (probably another lie) and he kept saying it didn't matter because you can buy an external one!

Perhaps when I bought it years ago I knew it had one, but I very rarely used the laptop as I had a large touchscreen PC for everyday use. I only started to use the laptop when this PC failed, and I was told it was not repairable (it was an all-in-one).

So I took the hard drive out and put it into an external case so I could still access all my files.

Let me guess (I didn't see the show) I bet Hohbein extolled the virtues of a 2TB hard drive, and how it meant you could store X amount of photos etc. But on shows where he is talking about products with SSD's in, he slags off HDD's :)

Cant remember the last time i used a DVD on a PC , bought my daughter a laptop and it didn't have one, makes them thinner and lighter, most things you just download nowadays

Cant remember the last time i used a DVD on a PC , bought my daughter a laptop and it didn't have one, makes them thinner and lighter, most things you just download nowadays

I still like to buy actual CDs and DVDs so I have a physical object that I can keep for ever.

But I always copied my CDs onto my PC, now I can do this again as I've discovered my laptop has a reader/writer. I can also then copy them onto my ipad as well.

PS. I don't have a smartphone, nor any music or video subscription services.

Yep very few have CD/DVD drives now, been like that for quite a few years now.

My Acer laptop still has the stickers on it showing its spec, and I was looking at them to compare mine with the Lenovo (which I thought was very expensive BTW) when I discovered the spec included a DVD, which I then took ages to find and open it.

Most laptops on QVC have not included a DVD, and Lee implied it would be very unusual to have one (probably another lie) and he kept saying it didn't matter because you can buy an external one!

Perhaps when I bought it years ago I knew it had one, but I very rarely used the laptop as I had aI traded my trusty ol Samsung in last Sunday at PC World, got £100 trade in, which after almost 7 years of constant use, I thought was a great deal. While I was there, I noticed all new laptops now don't come with a cd/dvd player. The problem being most of my programmes are on a disc! large touchscreen PC for everyday use. I only started to use the laptop when this PC failed, and I was told it was not repairable (it was an all-in-one).

So I took the hard drive out and put it into an external case so I could still access all my files.

I traded my trusty ol Samsung in last Sunday at PC World, got £100 trade in, which after almost 7 years of constant hard use, I thought was a great deal. While I was there, I noticed all new laptops now, don't come with a cd/dvd player. I said at the time of purchase, and commented, that went under the radar, as I was unaware they had stopped fitting them!
So, if you renew your laptop like I did, it won't have a disc drive, sadly it means all new programmes I buy now come with a download key instead of a disc in a box. I did buy an external drive however to transfer files from and to the laptop.
Quick note, I went on ebay in the week and bought Microsoft Office Pro Plus as a download for £6.99, (yes, less than 7 quid)
The download key was supplied within minutes, and it installed and works perfectly.
Hope this info helps. Not sure how much longer the trade in at PC World will last, so give it a thought as it's a decent trade in offer against the cost of a new laptop!

Latest posts

Back