Record gold price

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I have some heavy gold jewellery bought from QVC in the good old days.

This week, gold prices have been rising dramatically, well past the highest ever price.

Pure gold is rising every time I look at it, now £1270 per ounce, or nearly £41 per gram.

For 18ct multiply by 0.75 and for 9ct multiply by 0.375 to find the actual gold content if you weigh these types of gold.

So if pure gold is £41 per gram, 9ct would be £15-38 per gram, or £476.25 per ounce, at scrap value.

I don't think we'll be seeing much more gold on QVC.

Lots of interesting statistics here, including live prices, graphs of day, week, month etc as far back as you want to go - - - https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-price/

BTW Gold is now much more expensive than PLATINUM, getting on for twice the price.

I know I can remember in the early days there were 'gold fever' days, when they sold a lot of 9 predominantly but 18 also and now 9ct is few and far between and 18 is usually 'virmay' (that is spelt wrong I know but I mean the 'bonded gold). I realise that gold prices are high, but still, I am sure there will be an appetite for selling 'proper gold', even if it is for 'investment purposes'!

Time to have a sort out of my gold (no it’s not a treasure chest full, lol!) - I’ve got old necklaces and rings that I wouldn’t dream of wearing now, so will shop around for a the best option of flogging it - thanks Stratobuddy! X

To Yorkrose - - -yes, but a lot of "small investors" will see gold going up, buy some at record prices, then get their fingers burnt when the prices fall. Canny investors buy when it is low and sell when it is high, the opposite of amateur investors.

Time to have a sort out of my gold (no it’s not a treasure chest full, lol!) - I’ve got old necklaces and rings that I wouldn’t dream of wearing now, so will shop around for a the best option of flogging it - thanks Stratobuddy! X

I sold some yesterday, but I would have got more today.

But you never get the actual "spot" price I quoted above, everyone has to take their profit along the chain, from the shop that buys it from you, and then other middlemen, and finally the smelters who will melt it down and refine it into pure gold.

As you say, shop around. Apparently you can get ripped off online as they don't give you what they advertise. If you happened to live near the gold area of Birmingham you would probably get the best deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been watching the gold prices for several years now, and last bought when it was just below £700.

We're no longer in the position financially to buy but are seriously thinking of selling right now and putting the money aside to buy again when it goes back down. We've mainly bought krugerrands, Britannias or Maples in the past.

We're obviously very small investors that kept the few coins we had at the bank until last year when they stopped the boxes (another reason to sell). Having said that, we have made just under double by buying low and selling high the last twice gold has bumped.

If you have spare cash that you can put aside for a few years you can make quite a bit over time. The same can be said of stocks and shares or bricks and mortar but gold is something you don't have to lay a lot out on at the right time and can you can physically hold it (a good feeling in itself).

My new-ish next door neighbour told me yesterday that she has a dozen Krugerrands in a shoe box under her stairs that she's thinking of selling this weekend. They were bought for her as an investment by her parents years ago but since she's moved in and heard of the problems some of us have had with some teens she's getting nervous holding it at home. The good thing is we live opposite a policeman and most of us in a small cluster are mostly at home all day and we all look out for each other.

Sometimes bad things can happen that can bring people closer together and a small bunch of thugs seem to have done that for our street.

We've been watching the gold prices for several years now, and last bought when it was just below £700.

We're no longer in the position financially to buy but are seriously thinking of selling right now and putting the money aside to buy again when it goes back down. We've mainly bought krugerrands, Britannias or Maples in the past.

We're obviously very small investors that kept the few coins we had at the bank until last year when they stopped the boxes (another reason to sell). Having said that, we have made just under double by buying low and selling high the last twice gold has bumped.

If you have spare cash that you can put aside for a few years you can make quite a bit over time. The same can be said of stocks and shares or bricks and mortar but gold is something you don't have to lay a lot out on at the right time and can you can physically hold it (a good feeling in itself).

My new-ish next door neighbour told me yesterday that she has a dozen Krugerrands in a shoe box under her stairs that she's thinking of selling this weekend. They were bought for her as an investment by her parents years ago but since she's moved in and heard of the problems some of us have had with some teens she's getting nervous holding it at home. The good thing is we live opposite a policeman and most of us in a small cluster are mostly at home all day and we all look out for each other.

Sometimes bad things can happen that can bring people closer together and a small bunch of thugs seem to have done that for our street.

What is the £700 for, per ounce?

Not all gold coins are pure gold, including the gold sovereign. A few coins are "pure" but may not be 999.9 as used for bullion bars.

The bar in this photo is worth over £20,000

Gold front u-g-PZFDTT0.jpg

My original wedding ring is 22ct gold and weighs just under a troy ounce. I shall probably have to get it valued for insurance purposes. It is a very broad band and I no longer wear it as I have a thinner cross over set with diamonds.

Yes a lady a few streets away from us was broken into while she was in Spain and a lot of her gold coins and jewellery stolen. We had a lot of break ins last year ,mainly Asian houses as they keep a lot of jewellery in their houses. Safes were stolen, and we were told one had 3kgs of gold taken,none insured. We have fab neighbours and keep an eye on houses and turn up if house alarms go off. Things seem to have quietened down as there were arrests in Staffs and West Midlands. They were in balaclavas and were threatening people,one neighbour was in his car and a wheelie bin was thrown at his windscreen. The had screwdrivers and pick axe handles and all this was in daylight,mainly afternoons,very frightening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a lady a few streets away from us was broken into while she was in Spain and a lot of her gold coins and jewellery stolen. We had a lot of break ins last year ,mainly Asian houses as they keep a lot of jewellery in their houses. Safes were stolen, and we were told one had 3kgs of gold taken,none insured. We have fab neighbours and keep an eye on houses and turn up if house alarms go off. Things seem to have quietened down as there were arrests in Staffs and West Midlands. They were in balaclavas and were threatening people,one neighbour was in his car and a wheelie bin was thrown at his windscreen. The had screwdrivers and pick axe handles and all this was in daylight,mainly afternoons,very frightening.

3kg = £120,000

Hmmmmm, this is coincidental to read this thread today. I had a couple of rings that I thought of selling. I had them valued 9 years ago and one was (for insurance purposes) £1,000 the other was £1,500.

Today I took them to a small independent who bought second hand jewellery. I didn't for one minute expect to get the ins. value - one never does, but I would have been happy with at least half.

So much for gold price. I was offered £100 for the two ! with the advice to sell them privately. They aren't an old fashioned style, but I did inherit them many years ago and I don't have children to pass them onto, so it looks like the nieces are going to get them.

It always seems sad to me to see jewellery that took lots of skill to make just melted down for the pot.

Seems like the dealer may have been trying to rip you off.

My original wedding ring is 22ct gold and weighs just under a troy ounce. I shall probably have to get it valued for insurance purposes. It is a very broad band and I no longer wear it as I have a thinner cross over set with diamonds.

When I first started working (and living with mum and dad) I'd save as much as I could and go into town and buy old 22ct gold wedding bands from the few jewellers that I've always bought from (both now sadly closed). They'd always give me a good discount as I'd pay slightly more than scrap value. I still have several of them. I rarely wear them but I just couldn't bear to see these lovely old rings (unknown but probably treasured by their original owners) go to melt.

There's something about the colour and weight of 22ct and back in the 80's and 90's you could rarely find anything higher than 9ct new in the shops.

Does anyone remember the shopping channel that sold Asian gold? I was always astounded at how cheap it was. It had a young woman with long dark hair presenting. East rings a bell. I'd have bought some but it was a bit more than I was buying when I'd go to India or Dubai. I'd always pick up one or two pieces when there visiting family. It's all 22/3/4ct but looks like costume jewelry (until you pick it up!).

My friend's husband always brought yard long gold chains from home in the Middle East. He'd swap them for cash as he couldn't bring much from home back then.

I remember when quite a few started selling their broken jewellery including me. The money-saving site loads recommended a place in Hatton Garden they were very fair and nothing dodgy. A handful of broken pieces and I got enough to buy a new laptop.

I remember when quite a few started selling their broken jewellery including me. The money-saving site loads recommended a place in Hatton Garden they were very fair and nothing dodgy. A handful of broken pieces and I got enough to buy a new laptop.

Always a nice surprise when you get something useful from something no longer used.

This shows how volatile the price has been over the last few days.

Notice the meteoric rise to the highest EVER price, followed not long afterwards by a cliff-edge fall.

The vertical scale is £s per gram.

Grrrr - once again the site won't load it, it is just a screen shot from my iPad.

IMG_4448.jpg

It might work this time, I won't know until I post.

The reason for posting is to show how much the price fluctuates. See my previous post for details.

Latest posts

Back