Elemis pots - can I recycle them?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alter ego

Registered Shopper
Stupid question but bins due tomorrow and the only mark I can find on the 30ml PCMC pot is the one that says it's made from recycled materials (I think).

I managed to get the inner liner out but there's no mark on that either.

Anyone else getting annoyed with companies that blather on about how wonderfully eco they are then either don't use packaging that is made from/can be recycled or (when I bother to ring and find out) tell me that the packaging can be recycled but they haven't marked it.

Isn't the point of marking it so it goes to the correct recycling facilities to be re-used? How do people in recycling centres know what goes where if not clearly marked?

Anyway, rant over. Do I bin it (after breaking my nails splitting it) or toss it in recycling?

Thanks.

Stupid question but bins due tomorrow and the only mark I can find on the 30ml PCMC pot is the one that says it's made from recycled materials (I think).

Anyone else getting annoyed with companies that blather on about how wonderfully eco they are then either don't use packaging that is made from/can be recycled or (when I bother to ring and find out) tell me that the packaging can be recycled but they haven't marked it.

Isn't the point of marking it so it goes to the correct recycling facilities to be re-used? How do people in recycling centres know what goes where if not clearly marked?

Anyway, rant over. Do I bin it (after breaking my nails splitting it) or toss it in recycling?

Thanks.

I don't think they are & even if you put them in the recycling bag or box they would probably be removed at the plant. This is the reason I started buying REN products & have now found B Skincare. I'm also on a mission to find products without palm oil & make up in bamboo cases that takes refills. I despair about what we're doing to the planet & there are occasions when I panic about the amount of waste & the effect it has on wildlife.

Lush will take the tops off plastic bottles and Neals Yard will take the pumps from plastic bottles and plastic pouches. I think the Body Shop takes something but not entirely sure.

I`m really trying to use planet friendly items in planet friendly packaging and 100% cruelty free.
I use a cleansing balm which comes in a tin not plastic, a footcream which comes in a tin, neither of which contain mineral oils or palm oils, a mineral makeup which comes in compostable paper refills, bodywash which comes in 100$ recyclable packaging and they even mail them to you in a recycling bin for your bathroom, shampoo bars instead of liquid and even my laundry product is 100% leaping bunny cruelty free and vegan. I use Sukin moisturiser which is vegan, cruelty free and recyclable and any skin oils I use have to be cruelty free too. I try to stay away from cosmetics/skincare/bodycare loaded with preservatives, chemical, colourings and additives.
My Dad died of cancer, so did my husband, my sister too and so many of my friends have either had cancer or died from it and I know the jury is out on whether the chemicals we ingest through our skin do or don`t affect us but surely avoiding them wherever possible can only be a positive thing for our health ?

Thanks.

Bin Day :mysmilie_8: My favourite! Only 2 more sleeps until mine...

In other news, I had a spare 5 minutes yesterday & so logged on to the QVC bullshit awards to do some more bogus nominations.....yipeeeeee:mysmilie_378:

Yes they do. They take any brand beauty products. They won't take glass though.

That's ok as we have bins for glass, plastic too but not sure if all plastic is recyclable in our area. It is a nightmare. I try to reuse plastic pots instead of buying ones, to use on holiday by buying bigger sizes and decanting.

Bin Day :mysmilie_8: My favourite! Only 2 more sleeps until mine...

In other news, I had a spare 5 minutes yesterday & so logged on to the QVC bullshit awards to do some more bogus nominations.....yipeeeeee:mysmilie_378:

Must go on and fo a few more votes.������

The Body Shop have an incentive scheme to encourage return of their bottles when empty https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/packaging/return-recycle-repeat/e00011

Thanks Akimbo I wasnt able to see what their scheme was as we were passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, why is there not better advice on recycling generally, especially plastics. As mentioned above, not all containers indicate whether they are recyclable or not and then you get the ones that have a number in a triangle or say PCE whatever but my council (and probably many others) don't tell you which numbers you can put in the recycling bins. All they say is stupid, seemingly contradictory things like, you can't recycle the film from food containers but you can recycle window envelopes; you can recycle baked bean and similar tins but not biscuit tins; or you can recycle glass jars but not drinking glasses. I realise that will be to do with the likely make-up of those things but there are items which could be either and you don't know what to do with them. The council website is about as useful for information as QVC's.

Useful to know about some of the shops and brands which take things back for recycling. Thanks, contributors!!

QVC and corporate, social responsibility do not go hand-in-hand. The amount of Sellotape they put on their packaging means it's pointless putting it in the recycling bin. Other on-line retailers are much more eco-friendly with their packaging.

Just been watching a programme about recycling. Very informative and one recycling centre said the majority of plastic can be recycled ,plastic wrapping was being put through their sorting machine.

I watched a report last week that talked about recyclable waste being domestic and industrial. We don’t necessarily know the difference at a domestic level and chuck it all in together so our collection service can’t process it. An absolute minefield and needs to be clarified and us given yet another bin maybe.

Here in Northern Ireland, we have blue recycling bins, brown bins for grass and food waste, black bins for everyday waste and purple boxes for glass.

Now last year the councils were fined as they have not met targets for recycling plastics etc. People were doing their part with putting the waste in the right bins but the councils did not have the equipment to actually recycle most of the plastics. So we put the plastics into the bin and then a lot of it just ended up in landfill anyway!
Over Xmas the people who sort the plastic, cardboard etc went on strike, well actually they refused to do overtime as they would not be paid for it just their normal wages. It was something to do with the way the holidays fell and bin days. So instead of our bins getting emptied the recycling bins did not get emptied for a month. Most people around my area have a big blue bin but they were overflowing.

We have a fortnightly recycling collection & every year the council sends out a leaflet with all the info regarding the items they can recycle. At the bottom of the first page there is a statement that no household waste goes to landfill because it is incinerated with the energy this creates going to National Grid. However, I still take items such as the cat food pouches to a TerraCycle drop off point.

I used to think I'd like to live forever, but they way the majority of people treat the earth, I'm actually glad that I won't.
I know that I probably won't be around in 40-50 years time, but I do worry about what's going to happen to the future generations. I do wonder if the earth will be habitable in 100 years time. Frankly, I don't think it will be.

Before he died Steven Hawking predicted the Earth will only survive another 1000 years maximum. That sounds a long time but when you think that the pyramids are at least 3000 years old and bones of dinosaurs 10,000 years old, not to mention for those who believe that Jesus wandered the Earth over 2,000 years ago, then we and this planet don`t have long to go.
Prof Hawking said we are destroying our own planet and therefore destroying ourselves and unless major things happen very quickly to stop it or we find other planets to live on then humankind will be no more. A scary thought, not that I`ll be here to see it but future generations from my bloodline will be and to think of their premature end saddens me.

Recycling is a mess.

I have to restrain myself from getting on a soap-box here, but at the very least it would be nice if the recycling policies were consistent across the whole country. The policies vary considerably from council to council, never mind each devolved country in the UK. If there was more consistency, perhaps they could get better rates from recycling companies.

We need to be doing better as a country than exporting our rubbish for recycling in poor and developing countries. We need to be doing better than continuing to send rubbish to landfill. We need to be doing better at converting rubbish that can't be recycled into energy, in a way that doesn't lead to more pollution. We are a wealthy country, with a long history of creativity and innovation. It shouldn't be impossible to make a better go of dealing with rubbish and recycling than we currently do.

Regarding the various beauty company recycling schemes and incentives, the best one to go for is the one where you get incentives for products you love and use, if possible.

While the idea of filling your own pots with goo - this will either mean that products will go off faster, or they have to be pumped full of even more preservatives and other chemicals to counteract the greater risk of contamination.

Latest posts

Back