A Stocking Filler Really??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dream Girl

Registered Shopper
So with the presentation of the Orla Kiely big deal at £26.93 earlier today Catherine Huntley was selling it as an ideal little stocking filler Christmas gift.
Oh how the life of a shopping telly presenter now with money, can make someone very image and possession oriented and that looses the sight of normal Christmas shopping budgets.

Its the same when they prattle on about an item around the £30 mark and compare it to taking a bunch of flowers or a bottle of wine as a gift; and then say "how much does a bunch of flowers cost and how long do they last ?" This was what Baroness Moneybags said in her jewellery show last night.

Well, actually a decent bunch in the Co-op is around a tenner, and quite enough to fork out for a visiting gift.

Unless its family I don't even spend 30 quid on ANYONE even at Christmas ! These presenters and their guests all live within the confines of London / Home Counties where they clearly experience a different lifestyle to the rest of us.

Who DO they think they are selling to ? the ****** Beckhams ? Er, reality check, daytime viewers are generally retired pensioners, possibly shift workers, the unemployed, and maybe stay at home Mums - I certainly don't include the wealthy who might be away on permanent holidays !

Its the same when they prattle on about an item around the £30 mark and compare it to taking a bunch of flowers or a bottle of wine as a gift; and then say "how much does a bunch of flowers cost and how long do they last ?" This was what Baroness Moneybags said in her jewellery show last night.

Well, actually a decent bunch in the Co-op is around a tenner, and quite enough to fork out for a visiting gift.

Unless its family I don't even spend 30 quid on ANYONE even at Christmas ! These presenters and their guests all live within the confines of London / Home Counties where they clearly experience a different lifestyle to the rest of us.

Who DO they think they are selling to ? the ****** Beckhams ? Er, reality check, daytime viewers are generally retired pensioners, possibly shift workers, the unemployed, and maybe stay at home Mums - I certainly don't include the wealthy who might be away on permanent holidays !

Oh yes the bunch of flowers costing more than the watch and the fact they wouldn’t last, unlike the watch which the recipient would look at and think of you was added in too.

Think I`d rather have the flowers ta. That is one ugly looking plastic watch, reminds me of those kids watches you used to buy off a card in the newsagents, they didn`t actually work but came in a multitude of colours.

They come out with these inane comments because they're not very bright & totally unprofessional. It's the same with their little phrases & inability to listen to a guest. Ms Huntley the Elder loves to play the role of dumb blonde with aspects of Lady Bountiful thrown in for good measure. I find them arrogant, rude or amusing, sometimes a bizarre combination of the three. It's an ugly item in base metal & plastic & imo it's indicative of the demise of this brand.

Who didn't know what a marquise shape stone was or anything about the conception of her range except mentioning the copies of her own jewellery, I was quite staggered. JF put her on the embarrassing spot about a necklace. Did she think she didn’t need to do homework and just showing up was enough?

Who didn't know what a marquise shape stone was or anything about the conception of her range except mentioning the copies of her own jewellery, I was quite staggered. JF put her on the embarrassing spot about a necklace. Did she think she didn’t need to do homework and just showing up was enough?

That's what she does in her day job - turn up for a few minutes, collect her (our!) money and leave.

She actually appeared quite spaced out when on air. Perhaps it was all the booze she'd drunk at the subsidised bar in the Lords beforehand (while collecting her 300 quid a day expenses). But yes, unless she's saying where you could wear her stuff and how its copies of her own, then she's worse than useless.

Q must have to tread very carefully with her stuff. They're begging for trouble with someone who broadcasts to all that she copies designs.

Tiffany took Costco on and won big damages when they called one of their rings Tiffany-like or something (can't remember the details).

Oooh I probably couldn't wait for Mr CC to buy me some Tiffany jewels out of Costco. It would go like this "you cheapskate bus tard" slap slap Honestly? If you can't afford the real deal no problem but don't buy me shoo shoo.

CC

Q presenters are (as we know) glorified 'sales people' (just that they don't (to my knowledge) have targets. However, they will go to 'sales-school' and learn all the emotive words and what prices and content to pitch things at. Such as Peony flowers in hospital etc. There should though be a 'cut-off' point with regards to using the words 'little' and 'stocking filler' (et al), as £30 (with Postage (which of course they for some reason never factor in!)), is not in my view a 'stocking filler' price, yes to some it may be, but to the vast majority of people who purchase from Q I am tipping it isn't, no again this surely falls into the 'Social Responsibility' category!

Stocking filler is a fiver let's face it. Mum still does me a stocking and I'm 56!!! It's the best part of Christmas, a stocking full of tat!

CC

Love it ! I remember in my teens in the early 60's, my Mum asking me what I wanted for Christmas. Knowing there wasn't much money, I never asked for one big present, but always said "Lots of little 'bit's please". My Mum always delivered, with things like a Rimmel lipstick, pair of Bengal Bronze tights, a back combing comb, a gossamer hairnet with little coloured beads scattered on it - to wear over the Bobby curls we had styled at the back of our head, and lots of other knick knacks etc. I imagine the whole lot - all wrapped up in a box didn't total a tenner, but I was thrilled to bits nevertheless.

I was very tempted to get the £745 TSV TV last night to put aside as a stocking filler, but when I checked the measurements, it was too big to fit in the stocking, so I changed my mind.

They need to open their eyes to what’s available on the high street without having to spend ridiculous amounts.

It’s my birthday today and I’ve had some lovely presents from my 5 nieces and nephews, all in their late 20’s and 30’s with families, rents, mortgages etc so not a lot of spare money to spend on old aunties. But I’ve had a pretty bunch of flowers, big box of chocs, a personalised jar candle, a pack of 4 cans of pre-mixed pink gin & tonics and a Cat charm for my Pandora bracelet (my cat died 5 weeks ago). Plus lovely greetings written in my thoughtfully-chosen cards, funny posts on FB etc.

Most cost under a tenner, all very “me” and given to me with love. Obviously QVC need to sell and make s profit but that sort of comment about stocking fillers and the price of a bunch of flowers just alienate me and probably many others.

Latest posts

Back