A Stocking Filler Really??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They need to open their eyes to what’s available on the high street without having to spend ridiculous amounts.

It’s my birthday today and I’ve had some lovely presents from my 5 nieces and nephews, all in their late 20’s and 30’s with families, rents, mortgages etc so not a lot of spare money to spend on old aunties. But I’ve had a pretty bunch of flowers, big box of chocs, a personalised jar candle, a pack of 4 cans of pre-mixed pink gin & tonics and a Cat charm for my Pandora bracelet (my cat died 5 weeks ago). Plus lovely greetings written in my thoughtfully-chosen cards, funny posts on FB etc.

Most cost under a tenner, all very “me” and given to me with love. Obviously QVC need to sell and make s profit but that sort of comment about stocking fillers and the price of a bunch of flowers just alienate me and probably many others.

I'm so sorry that Eric died. Lots of love & I hope you enjoyed your day. Sounds like great pressies.

I think I should watch a bit more of shopping telly. Even though the crap most of the presenters come out with makes your jaw drop to the floor with disbelief, it's entertaining as hell and gives us a lot to talk about on here. Yes, it's probably true you can buy a more long lasting, better value product than a bunch of flowers or a bottle of wine, especially in the sales...But they forget how inappropriate some of their suggestions are. Imagine turning up at a dinner party and instead of handing the host a bottle of wine or a bunch of flowers, but a watch...What the hell would they think? I would feel embarassed that they'd spent so much money on me and it's not even my birthday, or feel a bit confused as to why they have given me this "random gift"...Was it something they wanted to get rid of? Then what do you do with it..take your watch off, put the new one on and show it to all the other guests? Which might make them feel embarrassed cause they only bought flowers, or nothing at all, or do you just say thanks and bung it on the side?!!! Just inappropriate!
As for ridiculous stocking fillers..some of the suggestions are just crazy..but funny!

I love small gifts which people have obviously put a lot of thought into. Anybody can buy a voucher or gift card or spend pots of money on something but when people have little to spend but still manage to give you something they know you`ll really like then that tops everything IMO.
The strangest gift I ever received which would be strange to other people but showed a lot of thought to me, was a leg of lamb off one of my sons. I love roast lamb but hubby hates it so consequently I never buy it because there`s only 2 of us and I`d never eat a full roast leg plus lamb is quite expensive.
My son knows this so as part of my Mother`s Day gift along with a card was a leg of Tesco`s finest lamb. Might seem an odd gift to others but to me it showed he`d thought long and hard what to get me and it had to be something I wouldn`t buy myself.

When my late husband and I were 'courting', my birthday present was a tyre for my car - he was'nt big on romance.

He may not have been big on romance but a bunch of roses wouldn't be much use on a wet night in February when you've got a flat.

One of my most treasured items is a 2 inch high jointed teddy bear bought one Christmas by my dear late mother as a stocking filler, I'm sure she wouldn't have paid very much for him. I have been truly blessed to travel the world and on every new adventure this little bear is packed in my hand luggage. After I lost mum last year it suddenly occured to me that everytime I packed little Ted in readiness for holiday it was like taking a little bit of my mum with me on holiday. Of all my personal belongings this little bear is the one thing I treasure because of who bought him for me and how much he cost..
You really don't have to spend a small fortune on gifts it's the thought you put in that is more important.

One of my most treasured items is a 2 inch high jointed teddy bear bought one Christmas by my dear late mother as a stocking filler, I'm sure she wouldn't have paid very much for him. I have been truly blessed to travel the world and on every new adventure this little bear is packed in my hand luggage. After I lost mum last year it suddenly occured to me that everytime I packed little Ted in readiness for holiday it was like taking a little bit of my mum with me on holiday. Of all my personal belongings this little bear is the one thing I treasure because of who bought him for me and how much he cost..
You really don't have to spend a small fortune on gifts it's the thought you put in that is more important.

A lovely comment.

Stocking filler is a fiver let's face it. Mum still does me a stocking and I'm 56!!! It's the best part of Christmas, a stocking full of tat!

CC

She sounds like my mum. That's the kind of thing she would be doing if she was still here. She's been gone 26 years and I miss her every day.

Cherish every moment. You're very lucky to have her - as she is to have you.

She sounds like my mum. That's the kind of thing she would be doing if she was still here. She's been gone 26 years and I miss her every day.

Cherish every moment. You're very lucky to have her - as she is to have you.

Lovely words & you obviously had a lovely mum. I did too, we've had 17 years without her & my father died the following summer. They were wonderful, gave me a very happy childhood & taught me so much, especially the importance of having values. However, & I know it sounds really cold, I don't miss them I just remember them as they were before her awful illness & his subsequent broken heart.

Lovely words & you obviously had a lovely mum. I did too, we've had 17 years without her & my father died the following summer. They were wonderful, gave me a very happy childhood & taught me so much, especially the importance of having values. However, & I know it sounds really cold, I don't miss them I just remember them as they were before her awful illness & his subsequent broken heart.

Thank you for your honesty.

Latest posts

Back