Lee Holbein

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love my Alexa. I have posted before about how I use her to set up all my reminders for my medications. So easy to just quickly talk a reminder out, rather than mess about with my phone etc.

Plus she controls all my lighting in my home. I can be in a lot of pain and suffering from severe dizzy spells, but may need to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Telling Alexa to switch on the bathroom "route" etc is so handy for me.

But horses for courses and I can see why it isn't for everyone. But if you have Amazon Music for example, speaking what tracks you want and how specific you can be is honestly....awesome :)

Anyway, I'm waffling, back to the topic.....don't trust that tech man who always seems to want to look like a hairdresser. Hohbein of course :)

My OH refuses anything that will fill Amazon coffers.

I love my Alexa. I have posted before about how I use her to set up all my reminders for my medications. So easy to just quickly talk a reminder out, rather than mess about with my phone etc.

Plus she controls all my lighting in my home. I can be in a lot of pain and suffering from severe dizzy spells, but may need to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Telling Alexa to switch on the bathroom "route" etc is so handy for me.

But horses for courses and I can see why it isn't for everyone. But if you have Amazon Music for example, speaking what tracks you want and how specific you can be is honestly....awesome :)

Anyway, I'm waffling, back to the topic.....don't trust that tech man who always seems to want to look like a hairdresser. Hohbein of course :)

No, I appreciate that in certain circumstances, as you yourself have described, she can be used 'for the good', it is just that I have read numerous reports, that she 'mechanically laughs' in the middle of the night and that Amazon staff access your questions/conversations, to take a 'voice feed' to better its AI. Now, again, I can understand this, but wouldn't it not be better for Alexia to have a 'skill', whereby the person can then access it and then follow a 'skill prompt', of speaking specific phrases, so that Alexia/team behind, can learn voice pattern speeches rather than do it 'surreptitiously' and make people a little 'nervy' about the gadget, wondering if it every truly 'off'!
Sorry I have read 1984 and other Dystopian books and the fact that the 'illegal listening Alexa' is fact' doesn't help!

Lee is like the male version of Gill Gauntlet. He owns everything he presents. One minute he's saying he can't live without his Apple products and the next thing the Amazon Fire is the best thing since sliced bread.

I have got an Amazon Echo Show, but only because someone bought it for me for Christmas, and then he gave me an Amazon Dot for my birthday. The latter is in my bedroom, as a back up if the batteries in my radio run out mid programme, and the Echo is in the lounge. I do occasionally ask the Echo a question, but usually ask Siri because I'm on my phone or iPad.

They're both good, when used, but I can't say they've enhanced my life and I can live without them, unlike Lee. However, I wasn't that enamoured with the Dot this morning when it suddenly yelled "I don't know the answer to that question" because it was 3:00am, I was asleep and I hadn't asked it anything. :thinking:

I have a Spot, a Dot, a Show, and 2 Plus 2nd gen.

The dot (1st gen) is very small but not very loud and a bit tinny sounding, so I have to use it with a Bluetooth speaker.

The spot is useful as an alarm clock which uses the screen as the dial, with lots of different choices. The sound is OKish, but I am now using it as a security camera, sending the video to my …..

……. Show (1st gen) which has a touch screen about the size of an ipad mini. I have covered up its camera (and my laptop too). The sound is OK. Otherwise, the screen is not worth paying extra for.

But I mainly use the 2 Plus's (2nd gen), as the sound is very good. They can turn off my bedroom light once I've got into bed (with a smartplug). I use them for listening to the radio, as I can tell them what station I want, anywhere in the world, and adjust the volume by talking to it.

I like to listen to the radio while in the bath, so I have one on the nearby landing cupboard. If I get fed up with the programme, or it is too quiet or loud, I can just change it while lying in the bath (is this too much information?).

It was Hohbein who first introduced me to them. I got a good deal on some using the dreaded QVC coupon, others I bought elsewhere.

PS They are wildly out of sync with each other on the radio. I can walk from one room into another and hear the last 10 seconds or more of what I've already heard. But when I go back the other way, I miss that amount of the programme, very annoying.

Lee is like the male version of Gill Gauntlet. He owns everything he presents. Brilliant description Toril.

Thank you for that. I've always been one of those people who think I don't really have a purpose so knowing that some of my innocent comments make folk laugh is a biggie uppie for me :mysmilie_59:

CC

Oh CC you’re a lovely poster. Last year you were so generous to me, at a time when (unbeknown to you) I was in the depths of depression.

Oh I love that Gill Gauntlet comparison :) I caught some of a show yesterday where she was showing several types of rechargable lights. Naturally she had all of them and at some point they had been perfect for some problem or other....amazing :)

Anyway, Hohbein. The thing is, he makes out he is a know it all "the tech support thing is like having him at the end of the phone" I mean how arrogant is that??!!

But after all his talk of implying he knows it all, he buys Samsung TV's from QVC, which while perfectly acceptable, are nowhere near the top of the range for picture quality. He has an Apple desktop that is wildly underpowered for the price, but calls it a powerful mothership!?

He spouts a lot of sales jargon and disguises it as knowledge. One example is when I was trying to advise that customer on Twitter, and Hohbein merely quoted a piece from a tech site, completely oblivious to the fact that it didn't back up his point of view at all. Then of course Flint had to join in with a couple of silly jokes, and mentioning that she agreed with him that the TV picture is great. Awesome, that is all the proof you need then....Flint thinking it is great.

Then of course he blocked me. He knew at that point I understood the tech aspects more than he did, so blocked me, I assume, to stop me from showing him up....and also putting off a customer from a sale.I am guessing he gets commission for each item sold that he shills?

Awful man, and just irritates me no end when he is all smiley saying how he loves to interact with viewers on social media. What he means is, he likes to interact with anybody that he feels he is superior to.

Can you tell he really pee's me off? :D

Oh I love that Gill Gauntlet comparison :) I caught some of a show yesterday where she was showing several types of rechargable lights. Naturally she had all of them and at some point they had been perfect for some problem or other....amazing :)

Anyway, Hohbein. The thing is, he makes out he is a know it all "the tech support thing is like having him at the end of the phone" I mean how arrogant is that??!!

But after all his talk of implying he knows it all, he buys Samsung TV's from QVC, which while perfectly acceptable, are nowhere near the top of the range for picture quality. He has an Apple desktop that is wildly underpowered for the price, but calls it a powerful mothership!?

He spouts a lot of sales jargon and disguises it as knowledge. One example is when I was trying to advise that customer on Twitter, and Hohbein merely quoted a piece from a tech site, completely oblivious to the fact that it didn't back up his point of view at all. Then of course Flint had to join in with a couple of silly jokes, and mentioning that she agreed with him that the TV picture is great. Awesome, that is all the proof you need then....Flint thinking it is great.

Then of course he blocked me. He knew at that point I understood the tech aspects more than he did, so blocked me, I assume, to stop me from showing him up....and also putting off a customer from a sale.I am guessing he gets commission for each item sold that he shills?

Awful man, and just irritates me no end when he is all smiley saying how he loves to interact with viewers on social media. What he means is, he likes to interact with anybody that he feels he is superior to.

Can you tell he really pee's me off? :D

I'm guessing he 'blocked' you from some sort of SM site? Some people would wonder why you'd want to be on any site that he was also on?

I'm guessing he 'blocked' you from some sort of SM site? Some people would wonder why you'd want to be on any site that he was also on?
It was Twitter. I don't follow him on Twitter, but I was following QVC at the time. The Samsung TV was posted by him I think, but linked to QVC's Twitter as well. I saw this guy asking questions, so jumped in to answer his questions, as he was clearly being misled by Hohbein. When I went to go back and see the Tweet, I found I couldn't read it. I went to go and look on Hohbeins Twitter feed to see if I could see the full conversation, only to find he had blocked me. I hadn't ever followed him personally, and he made sure I never could!

Latest posts

Back