Beware the sidebar!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beware the sidebar!!!

There is no 'off topic' section so I've posted in the nearest thing.

There is a sidebar at the LHS of each page. For most people that's no issue, but for those on limited data plans (such as me) it is a problem.

You see, at the top of the sidebar is a video pane, it's set to automatically play. If you are viewing the site and have a limited data plan, this video will quickly chew into your data. You have to pause the thing manually, but looking at a new page/forum section the video reverts to autoplay and you have to go through the whole process again. It's most infuriating and, if you forget, potentially costly.

I would hope the admin can rectify this matter. Changing the settings to a default pause (so the user has to click to play if they wish to see the ad), otherwise it will remain an issue.

I have a data usage meter and checking it while the video is playing reveals a disturbingly high usage of data. As it autoplays on a loop, some people are going to find themselves caught out. BEWARE!
    Thanks stratobuddy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

QVC used to play the videos automatically, but there is a tick box to stop this.
    -
    My local on-line rag auto-plays vids, and no option to stop them other than pause them.

3. <
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    There is no 'off topic' section so I've posted in the nearest thing.

There is a sidebar at the LHS of each page. For most people that's no issue, but for those on limited data plans (such as me) it is a problem.

You see, at the top of the sidebar is a video pane, it's set to automatically play. If you are viewing the site and have a limited data plan, this video will quickly chew into your data. You have to pause the thing manually, but looking at a new page/forum section the video reverts to autoplay and you have to go through the whole process again. It's most infuriating and, if you forget, potentially costly.

I would hope the admin can rectify this matter. Changing the settings to a default pause (so the user has to click to play if they wish to see the ad), otherwise it will remain an issue.

I have a data usage meter and checking it while the video is playing reveals a disturbingly high usage of data. As it autoplays on a loop, some people are going to find themselves caught out. BEWARE!
    If you have issues with forum then please send a Private Message to Graham.

Post Thanks / Like

I have, but I'm unsure if it was sent?! Meanwhile, I believe it is in the interest of forum users who, like me, have metered internet connections to be aware of this issue. It is all too easy not to notice the sidebar video and end up with a large amount of data suddenly being used.

To those on fixed data plans, please remember that you must pause the autoplay video each and every time you do something on the forum. Most annoying!

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, I have replied to your Private Message.

Sadly with rising costs of Bandwidth and various costs I try to look for ways to keep the site going, since losing my best friend of 30 years in January and my partner of 5 and a half years leaving me because I changed when I best friend died I have taken my eye off the ball a little and now playing catch up. I had to sell Crafttelly.com, but intend to keep running this site for as long as possible.

We do still offer VIP Membership, for 7.00 for LIFE, this removes the sidebar and most of the banner advertising making your forum experience more enjoyable.

If anyone would like to become a VIP just use the following link http://www.shoppingtelly.com/vip-membership.html

Please accept my apologies for the video, but I am just trying to do what I can.
    Thanks Twilight thanked for this post
    Likes Retrovertigo , Dave , stratobuddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, I am sorry to read that you are still so sad. I think you do a brilliant job with this forum & there are times when we all have to play catch up. Please be kind to yourself, it's ok not to be ok.

8. Flower