Pratical Ideas/Presents TSV 25/10/19

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She kept saying that a lumen was the light of one candle,

WRONG.

What she should have said was - - - - -

The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI derived unit of luminous flux, a measure of the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source per unit of time. Luminous flux differs from power (radiant flux) in that radiant flux includes all electromagnetic waves emitted, while luminous flux is weighted according to a model (a "luminosity function") of the human eye's sensitivity to various wavelengths. Lumens are related to lux in that one lux is one lumen per square meter.

The lumen is defined in relation to the candela as
1 lm = 1 cd ⋅ sr.

A full sphere has a solid angle of 4π steradians,[1] so a light source that uniformly radiates one candela in all directions has a total luminous flux of 1 cd × 4π sr = 4π cd⋅sr ≈ 12.57 lumens.

So now you know [wink]

If that was too complicated, she could have said - - - - -

The lumen (symbolized lm) is the International Unit of luminous flux. It is defined in terms of candela steradians (cd multiplied by sr). One lumen is the amount of light emitted in a solid angle of 1 sr, from a source that radiates to an equal extent in all directions, and whose intensity is 1 cd.

One lumen is the equivalent of 1.46 milliwatt (1.46 x 10-3 W) of radiant electromagnetic (EM) power at a frequency of 540 terahertz (540 THz or 5.40 x 1014 Hz). Reduced to SI base units, one lumen is equal to 0.00146 kilogram meter squared per second cubed (1.46 x 10-3 kg multiplied by m2 / s3).

The lumen is a small unit. A frequency of 540 THz corresponds to a wavelength of about 556 nanometers (nm), which is in the middle of the visible-light spectrum. A steradian is the standard unit solid angle in three dimensions; a sphere encloses 4 pi (approximately 12.57) steradians.

How they can title shows with the word 'gift' in it is beyond me. Yes, we all know that everything QVC stocks is just pushed out with the word 'gift'gifting' attached to it, but honestly? if I was to open a GTECH cleaner or a set of lock'n'locks on xmas morning, then they'd get shoved where the sun don't shine.

The lumen (symbolized lm) is the International Unit of luminous flux. It is defined in terms of candela steradians (cd multiplied by sr). One lumen is the amount of light emitted in a solid angle of 1 sr, from a source that radiates to an equal extent in all directions, and whose intensity is 1 cd.

One lumen is the equivalent of 1.46 milliwatt (1.46 x 10-3 W) of radiant electromagnetic (EM) power at a frequency of 540 terahertz (540 THz or 5.40 x 1014 Hz). Reduced to SI base units, one lumen is equal to 0.00146 kilogram meter squared per second cubed (1.46 x 10-3 kg multiplied by m2 / s3).

The lumen is a small unit. A frequency of 540 THz corresponds to a wavelength of about 556 nanometers (nm), which is in the middle of the visible-light spectrum. A steradian is the standard unit solid angle in three dimensions; a sphere encloses 4 pi (approximately 12.57) steradians.

Still too complicated for me.:mysmilie_17:

How they can title shows with the word 'gift' in it is beyond me. Yes, we all know that everything QVC stocks is just pushed out with the word 'gift'gifting' attached to it, but honestly? if I was to open a GTECH cleaner or a set of lock'n'locks on xmas morning, then they'd get shoved where the sun don't shine.

Can you imagine all the huge rows on Christmas morning when one partner gets everything they want and the other gets lock n lock :mysmilie_17: I learned a long time ago never to say "I want/need to get those" (boring household items) when it's too near Christmas as they inevitably end up under the tree.

CC

The only way these would be acceptable to me as a “gift” would be to give enough light to open the proper pressie of jewellery. Personally I would rather have nothing rather than something like this.

Can you imagine all the huge rows on Christmas morning when one partner gets everything they want and the other gets lock n lock :mysmilie_17: I learned a long time ago never to say "I want/need to get those" (boring household items) when it's too near Christmas as they inevitably end up under the tree.

CC

Oh dear.

Will I ever understand women?

If I said I wanted a lantern/tool/gadget/lock'n'lock 5 weeks brfore xmas, I'd be delighted to get one.

PS If there is a photo, it is on the wrong thread, but I can't delete it. It should be in GTECH TSV.

Attachments

• IMG_4484.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 98
The trick is Strato to say you want a lantern/tool/lock n lock as a Christmas present and not just say you want to get those things in general.

Please don't tell me that photo is of a spider bite!!

CC

I think these lanterns look rather nice in the Glam set.I have been trying to persuade myself to buy them but as I don't have an attic, dark understairs cupboards or a garage/shed, and would never dream of going camping I can't justify it! On the promo film I was rather surprised to see people using them outdoors at night to do jigsaws. Apart from anything else, think of all the moths!

It must mean they are no longer stocking items, just waiting until they know how many have been ordered then getting them despatched direct from the factory

All the warehouses now at Knowsley the size of football pitches are being used to store all the presenters/guest presenters freebies.
When’s there’s some spare space along with the massive amount of returns of the rubbish they churn out there’s some hiding places for the presenters massive egos.

Pedant.......

Both options were sold out yesterday, then they reappeared, then they sold out again.

But this morning one option is back again AND STILL AT THE TSV PRICE!

Weird or what?

QVC price £25.00
Today's special value £19.98
P&P: £2.95

(Copied and pasted at 0815)

Both options were sold out yesterday, then they reappeared, then they sold out again.

But this morning one option is back again AND STILL AT THE TSV PRICE!

Weird or what?

QVC price £25.00
Today's special value £19.98
P&P: £2.95

(Copied and pasted at 0815)

What a shambles.

She kept saying that a lumen was the light of one candle,

WRONG.

What she should have said was - - - - -

The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI derived unit of luminous flux, a measure of the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source per unit of time. Luminous flux differs from power (radiant flux) in that radiant flux includes all electromagnetic waves emitted, while luminous flux is weighted according to a model (a "luminosity function") of the human eye's sensitivity to various wavelengths. Lumens are related to lux in that one lux is one lumen per square meter.

The lumen is defined in relation to the candela as
1 lm = 1 cd ⋅ sr.

A full sphere has a solid angle of 4π steradians,[1] so a light source that uniformly radiates one candela in all directions has a total luminous flux of 1 cd × 4π sr = 4π cd⋅sr ≈ 12.57 lumens.

So now you know [wink]

I tell you who would have been great explaining this on air - CHuntley. She‘s really good with anything to do with science and numbers. She would also be able to tell us how she uses the lights to check out her dark, damp places. I wonder if the lanterns are vegan friendly.

Latest posts

Back