Samsung Netbook TSV Saturday

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

a dumb questrion maybe ........

But as it doesnt have a DVD/CD slot, how do you put software like Office or anything else on it. Do you have to buy a seperate drive?

In no particular order:

so is this the TSV for midnight friday into Saturday?

Yes, according to the TV guide. It better still be available from about 2pm as I'm travelling back overnight from friday and won't have internet access till then!

Now no one laugh but I have no idea what a netbook is. Can someone enlighten me on what everyone is raving about?

Its a laptop with a smaller screen, designed to be very portable and underpowered but with very good battery life (not quite, but more than 2 hours). Suitable for most people who don't do much more than post on ST.com :22: Or like me, finding that a laptop is too much at times and needs something a little smaller whilst needing something to download camera photos to.

One of the reviews on Amazon says it hasn't got a SD card slot

SD card reader at front of machine. Highly visible by the big SD symbol at the mid-right front position! See here:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/newgallery.aspx?id=21071&img=12

ad a dumb questrion maybe ........

But as it doesnt have a DVD/CD slot, how do you put software like Office or anything else on it. Do you have to buy a seperate drive?

Not as dumb as you think! There are a number of ways: buy an external CD drive; create an iso image and either use a 1GB usb memory stick/card to transfer or use a network cable via your router or even wireless (if you want to wait and wait and wait). However, clickety click: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081120073418AAx3nTO and we'll need to do a how-to guide for the Tech forum for all those who are getting one!

ooh. imagine if it's on say four easypayments of £50 or so.....

I'm really excited about this!!!:32:

Thanks for making things a bit clearer Sheepdog!
I'm so tempted by this, but can't justify it by any means. I'll try my best to resist.

If this is on 4 easy pays I might go for it. It's got a gold award in this months What Laptop magazine. I just hope QVC don't charge a daft P&P.

In no particular order:

Yes, according to the TV guide. It better still be available from about 2pm as I'm travelling back overnight from friday and won't have internet access till then!

Its a laptop with a smaller screen, designed to be very portable and underpowered but with very good battery life (not quite, but more than 2 hours). Suitable for most people who don't do much more than post on ST.com :22: Or like me, finding that a laptop is too much at times and needs something a little smaller whilst needing something to download camera photos to.

SD card reader at front of machine. Highly visible by the big SD symbol at the mid-right front position! See here:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/newgallery.aspx?id=21071&img=12

Not as dumb as you think! There are a number of ways: buy an external CD drive; create an iso image and either use a 1GB usb memory stick/card to transfer or use a network cable via your router or even wireless (if you want to wait and wait and wait). However, clickety click: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081120073418AAx3nTO and we'll need to do a how-to guide for the Tech forum for all those who are getting one!

not sure how many poeple here realize that they will probably have to buy a seperate drive. As far as I know, if you use office/word/excel/outlook etc, you can only instal from cdrom.

Transferring little files/pics/music is the easy bit, installing programs not so easy without a drive.

not sure how many poeple here realize that they will probably have to buy a seperate drive. As far as I know, if you use office/word/excel/outlook etc, you can only instal from cdrom.

Transferring little files/pics/music is the easy bit, installing programs not so easy without a drive.

What do you think the second item in the show will be :21:

surely the whole point of a netbook is that its primarily for web browsing as opposed to a fully functioning PC or notebook?

this one sounds a bit of alright, ive been eyeing them up in the high street for a couple of months. i have an iphone but trying to browse for more than a few mins is difficult.

ill be watching, and if they have 3 or 4 easypays i think ill be going for it

I got all excited thinking this was on tonight .. grrrr

Another 26 hours to go! Oooh I could crush a grape I'm that excited!

I'm using my Samsung NC10 right now and I just love it!!

I use it for surfing and emailing. I have a flash drive to transfer pictures and files. If I need to do anything more complex, I use the desktop..(if I can get the children off it!)

I got this Sandisk Micro recently from Amazon (huge storage and has a retractable USB. It also includes Skype software) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VBPOKY/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

These things are pretty cool. I do hope they clearly point that it has no cd-rom drive, else they'll probably be swamped with returns as a result.

These things are pretty cool. I do hope they clearly point that it has no cd-rom drive, else they'll probably be swamped with returns as a result.

I'm laying £1 on they'll sell one too!

Otherwise, there's a very good LG external drive I bought, I think it was £40 or so when I got it for my Eee a year ago!

I thought it was this one:
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/77978...External-Super-Multi-Drive-Black/Product.html

But I don't recall paying that much for it!!!

Thanks for the info yorkslad! I've been interested in this Netbook all week! However, the extortionate P&P costs let it down if £297.72 is the TSV price! It is divisible by 3 though which would make 3 x EZPays of £99.24 so unless QVC are throwing in a load of 'extras', not such a great saving is it compared to other retailers?

Thanks for the info yorkslad! I've been interested in this Netbook all week! However, the extortionate P&P costs let it down if £297.72 is the TSV price! It is divisible by 3 though which would make 3 x EZPays of £99.24 so unless QVC are throwing in a load of 'extras', not such a great saving is it compared to other retailers?

It's also divisible by 4 x £74.43 so hope they do maximum easy pay.

I am horrified at the p&p charge!! £35????? Are they being hand delivered by Mr Samsung himself....in a golden carriage drawn by unicorns????

My NC10 came by courier for the very reasonable charge of £4.95....and it's not a very big parcel!!!

Good grief!!! The P+P on that is extortionate. It's not like it's a huge 50 inch TV. I popped into PC World a couple of days ago to have a look at this. I can see why you are all raving about it, it's so diddy and cute. Would fit lovely in my handbag :)

Latest posts

Back