Samsung Netbook the truth behind the high Postage

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Elise

Registered Shopper
I follow your reasoning, but would imagine QVC will be paying the retailer in their own currency, so if (for example) a $2 million dollar contract was agreed, that'll presumably be exactly what Samsung still get. So the exchange rate would most likely affect QVC, not the supplier.

If the postage adjustment is to offset losses on the goods price, I'd be willing to bet it'll be for QVC's benefit, not Samsung's.

Hmmm, so much for the buying power of QVC and so much for contractual agreements. So as I read it, QVC and Samsung agree a price in advance. Circumstances change so Samsung so no to the agreed price so tell QVC if they want it, they have to agree to a new contract? In the meantime, QVC takes all the flack for this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a large multinational like Samsung be paid in dollars only and get QVC to take the conversion hit? In that case, that would explain why QVC have upped the cost to cover themselves.

Last edited:
correct meif i am wrong but qvc have in the past charged silly p&p charges for other laptops not just this one. it does not bother meand other savvy shoppers the samsung notebook will at some time in the very near future get cheaper just because its a tsv for some silly reason everyone has to have it today.. its like a stampede

Rip Off Postage

QVC shamelessly overcharge for postage on most products. I purchased two different pairs of earrings from Last Clicks and noticed that the p&p price was nearly a pound different but thought maybe it was because the packaging was different. It doesnt take much to push the postage into the next pricing band but on arrival, they were both packed in exactly the same size blue box with 'Silver' written on them and packed in exactly the same size Juffy bags.

With QVC's 'Massive Buying Power' I would imagine that their packing materials cost next to nothing so the mark up on postage is huge.

I emailed QVC to find out whey but didnt get a reply. I couldnt be bothered chasing it up but its caused them a lot of lost business from me as I now look on ebay and sites recommended by the ladies (and gents) on this forum.

In addition, the boxes that some of my items have come in have been a joke - very large boxes and masses of foam bits to protect a tiny plastic lip gel - outrageous waste, a jiffy bag would have more than sufficed!

Bet

Would be worth considering as a possibility IF QVC didn't do this ALL the time

correct meif i am wrong but qvc have in the past charged silly p&p charges for other laptops not just this one. it does not bother meand other savvy shoppers the samsung notebook will at some time in the very near future get cheaper just because its a tsv for some silly reason everyone has to have it today.. its like a stampede

you are correct there Boffy QVC have been known to charge £58 for delivery of a Dell laptop

If thats the reason for the high postage, why aren't we seeing it on other sites, am sure they would have had deals done at similar times and so be affected in a similar way, but it seems they can still knock spots of QVC for real value!!

I go to the States twice a year and the prices the are hugely cheaper than this country and QVC USA is the same as many have stated in the past. I buy all my clothes in the States as they are 70% cheaper. You only have to look at the price of Cars where the pay in $'s what we pay in £'s and their Petrol is less than half the price of ours. I find a lot of the prices on QVC expensive and I believe they should be made to quote all prices to include P&P as there is no doubt that is where they make a lot of their margin.

would'nt it mean that delivery from ireland would cost more?

anyways dell have the inspiron mini starting from £269 and a better spec one for £299 inc delivery. dell is a dearer brand i think so samsung may have better specs but...

Just gives some justification for dell charging what they do fo delivery . What is Samsungs excuse?

Exchange rate has nothing to do with the £35 postage, other shops are selling it for around £300 including free delivery

QVC have ripped off there customers big time, and a lame excuse about exchange rates has nothing to do with it whatsoever

QVC would have got a vast discount for selling 6 thousand odd of these machines in one day much more than other places selling for £300 inc free postage.

TSV's on electronics are always poor walue on QVC, people for some reason always think they are getting a bargan when its almost cheaper elsewhere.

Not sure why people always fall for it, but while they do QVC will continue to charge over inflated prices and not offer the best value.

I was about to order one of these on easy pay until I noticed the p&p charge. I would have been happy to pay £70 something pounds for the first payment but over a £100 including p&p changed my mind for me.

IW were doing a sony vaio for just under £600 ysterday but despite the higher price (and higher insurance on postage) the p&p was only £10.95.
QVC have on numerous occasions blamed their high postage charges on the 30 day mbg-so I suppose they are in effect saying they get more returns than they would like,and overcharging on p&p helps mitigate this. I know someone who has ordered this TSV as they are travelling over Christmas until mid January-he then intends returning it,saying it's cheaper than hiring one!Someone else is ordering a keyboard to play with over Christas and is then returning. I don't agree with this sort of abuse but it is easy to exploit the policy. I have cut down my QVC purchases as I have found the packing to be generally rubbish leading to damaged or missing items.

my youngest son bought this lap top from another source on-line on the day it came out and he only paid £305 including p&p, 3 days after he received it the price went up by £20.00........just shows what a rip off QVC's p&p is....and they still have some on www.ebuyer.com for £321.00..........bargain!!!

Last edited:
I go to the States twice a year and the prices the are hugely cheaper than this country and QVC USA is the same as many have stated in the past. I buy all my clothes in the States as they are 70% cheaper. You only have to look at the price of Cars where the pay in $'s what we pay in £'s and their Petrol is less than half the price of ours. I find a lot of the prices on QVC expensive and I believe they should be made to quote all prices to include P&P as there is no doubt that is where they make a lot of their margin.

Not strictly correct, they may be cheaper but the quality (especially interior plastics) is far below the European versions. Don't forget some prices don't include tax where ours have to state everything. Petrol, yes it is cheaper but their gallon is smaller than ours: 4.4 to 4.54 so the headline price is a little misleading but still taxed far less.

Indeed, I do the same with clothes (except I go to Canada!). Prices are definitely cheaper AND when they say sale, its not 10% or 20%. I'm not joking when I say from 40% to 70% off. The quality is far better too.

I am surprised they sold any considering the postage charge. If people voted with their feet, then maybe they could make qvc change for the better. I agree, qvc is generally not a bargain place to buy technology but many people buy from qvc because of the ez pay. What an outrageous rip-off. Maybe the credit crunch has not hit qvc yet.

well but they tell you the price and the p and p...all you have to do is add the two together, if the total price is good, then buy, if not...not!

Exchange rate has nothing to do with the £35 postage, other shops are selling it for around £300 including free delivery

QVC have ripped off there customers big time, and a lame excuse about exchange rates has nothing to do with it whatsoever

QVC would have got a vast discount for selling 6 thousand odd of these machines in one day much more than other places selling for £300 inc free postage.

TSV's on electronics are always poor walue on QVC, people for some reason always think they are getting a bargan when its almost cheaper elsewhere.

Not sure why people always fall for it, but while they do QVC will continue to charge over inflated prices and not offer the best value.

I agree. If other websites can offer free p+p or lower p+p, why can't QVC do the same? I didn,t think Samsung was an american company. But that is irrelevant; the exchange rate is an ever-present factor in business. Sometimes it can be beneficial to buyers, sometimes to sellers, depending upon how the exchange rates are performing at the time. What you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts!

Latest posts

Back