Halogen Oven. Has anyone gone for it!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Babs

Registered Shopper
I just wanted to know if anyone has gone for the Halogen Oven with the hinged top. It's sold out now but I am seriously thinking about this. Thane have one priced at about £74.00 but then you have to buy all the extra's seperately, whereas with IW it all comes complete.

I would be interested in what people have found with this.

I have had two previously and worn them out!
Now on my third and this one is halogen but not hinged lid, mine is a jml one and was 49.99 though now with all the sales it may be cheaper

There is another thread on here regarding these ovens

I do love mine use a lot insted of big normal oven and when this one 'dies' I will be looking for number 4!
It can cook everything a normal oven would and faster easy to clean !

I've got one of the non hinged variety but I don't have a clue how to do stuff in it. Only a tiny leaflet came with it and some of that info was totally screwed up.

Would be grateful for any tips you pass on UpTheFerrets please!

We bought the Idea World one after deliberating about getting one for a couple of month.

It's brilliant and would not like to be without it now - it cooks, browns, crisp every that a normal oven does but quicker and more efficiently.

Just try to cook everything on the loe rack and you will have no problems - use the high rack for grilling.

Also knock off time when cooking things as well...and there is no need to pre-heat.

The Ideal World one is a briiliant bargain.

Alan

We bought the Idea World one after deliberating about getting one for a couple of month.

It's brilliant and would not like to be without it now - it cooks, browns, crisp every that a normal oven does but quicker and more efficiently.

Just try to cook everything on the loe rack and you will have no problems - use the high rack for grilling.

Also knock off time when cooking things as well...and there is no need to pre-heat.

The Ideal World one is a briiliant bargain.

Alan

Hiya Alan, I have bought one but I have yet to unpack it . Can you tell me if you have to turn food over to get it cooked.?
I remember seeing the presenter doing this saying it was to get both sides of a roast crisp but someone on the forum commented that food doesnt cook through unless you turn it over haf way through the cooking time.

So long as you have gaps on the rack for the air to circulate, you do not have to turn over the food.

If you have put too much food in , then yes it does no harm.

If it's something like a fish finger then I would not bother turning it but if it was something thicker then I would turn it over.

Alan

I'm on my 3rd non-hinged one.....I find they last about a year and a day (so out of guarantee) however, I use mine all the time and love it.

I thought the hinged one was a great idea - then realised that I wouldn't be able to keep it on the work surface under the wall cupboards and still be able to open the lid......

You'd need a high space to accomodate the lid when it's up.

I've got one of the non hinged variety but I don't have a clue how to do stuff in it. Only a tiny leaflet came with it and some of that info was totally screwed up.

Would be grateful for any tips you pass on UpTheFerrets please!

Cook as you would cook using your normal oven, but remember it won't take as long!

It has been mentioned further in this thread about turning food over, I can only say that I don't unless i would do that 'normally'

But I am more than happy with my new one the halogen non hinged which I bought in a local store, it's a JML 49.99, but can be purchased cheaper now if you look around.

My previous ones weren't halogen but all worked perfectly and purchased each time from QVC

If anyone has one and is a little wary of using it, don't be, it's just an oven, just smaller and faster.

I have today done amongst other things perfect crispy golden roasties, oooh luvverly!

Just give it a go

Thank you UTF, have you ever done yorkshires in the oven? I tried once and it wasn't a success, LOL.

Thank you UTF, have you ever done yorkshires in the oven? I tried once and it wasn't a success, LOL.

Yes, Just did as normal heated up a tin ( I use xake tins for a lot of things due to being the correct size, shallow sandwich tins are useful to have)

Preheated with tin in and a little oil then put in the yorkshire and it crisped really well.

Now use aunt bessies and have very good results with them .

It was initially trial and error and so now is sort of second nature, though I have had to adjust timing with the halogen as it is faster.

Also great for jacket spuds, i cook in microwave (but hate soggy skin) then crisp in oven then loads of butter, ooooh mouth watering......!

I am interested in the halogen oven but it is a case of "want" rather than "need". I gather from previous messages that they don't last long. Is it the light that stops working or is the problem with the glass bowl?

Hello Kirkiegirl,

Welcome to the madhouse!

I think the bowl part will go on forever, must be the electrics that pack up.
Apart from the unsuccessful yorkshires I tried the jacket spuds have been fine.

Still rather daunted at trying anything new in the oven, the lack of any real directions or recipes I've very annoyed about.
I bought mine from Coopers of Stortford, won't be buying anything else from them.

I am sending mine back.
Apart from the fact that I dont have enought height under my wall units to open the lid, I cooked some small pork meatballs in a nice sauce and found that the top off the meatballs burned before the middle was cooked..that was using the low rack and the meatballs were quite a way from the heating element so I thought that it would be even worse if I cooked a larger thing that would be close to the element.

Someone asked about the life of these 'machines'

I had my first one over 10 years ago! They do last ....but it depends how often you use them and I really USE them

My O/H uses nothing else, whatever he makes goes in! he works shifts so its perfect for speed and convenience.

I really don't think that a recipe book is necessary as you just use it like a normal oven.

The halogen are slightly different than my original 2 (they weren't halogen) so I did need to adjust things like timing/temperature.

I bought a piece of the non stick teflon liner and cut to fit the bottom of bowl.
I sometimes use this without any racks, and even leave it in when using them too.

What you need to remember more than anything is that being halogen and having a fan they cook faster/hotter. Once i realised this I adjusted my temperatures down and allowed longer, using either the base of bowl or racks depending on what I was cooking.

My first use of this new one was a little 'crispy' but now getting excellent results (lol)

Thank you all for your advice, I have now come to the conclusion that my kitchen is far too small for even one of the smaller Halogen Ovens, ah well, I will have to continue to ogle!.

Instructions are very unhelpful

I know it has been said before on this thread, but the instructions which come with these ovens are very unhelpful for someone who is coming to the product without any experience. Someone said it was just the same as using an oven but it really REALLY isn't.

If you want to cook a roast chicken and roast potatoes, some information on whch of the accesories in which order is recommended would help a great deal. Do you use a rack underneath the bottom metal tray? Do you place the metal rack above this and put the potatoes on another metal tray - which you don't have?

Even with one dish you can have problems... I made sticky chicken for a family of 4 in mine, using two trays, but despite what is said above about not turning things or moveing them around while cooking, I HAD to, becaus the upper chicken pieces were becoming overcooked. Of course, turning over the upper chicken wasn't a problem - but swapping over the trays inside the over definitely was. Trying to get red hot metal trays out of a red hot glass over, with very little clearance either side and scalding gravy in the dish was a nightmare - fortunately my daughter came up with the bright idea of using two potato mashers as handles on either side of the dish.

For some things, the oven is brilliant. For others, good instructions (or additional accessories) would make a LOT of difference.

This evening I am attempting lamb stew with roast potatoes. Whether it is possible to do both at once... well I will soon find out.
Fee

Thank you Caliandris and welcome to the madhouse.

Your halogen input is most appreciated, so far I've only been brave enough to do jacket spuds.

Latest posts

Back