Ring re-sizing Service - Any good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

t1ger

Registered Shopper
I have just received my first ring from Rocks and its gorgeous. Now I have to bring myself to part with it so that it can be re-sized! What is the service like with Maker Mends, how long does it take and is the work good quality?

The only other dilemma that I have now is which finger to get it sized for. Any help deciding would be fab :D

8hmluv8V2PEeUna56JjQsQ

UPKKYx6GYG-tsnW2VF3i5A

Attachments

• smlRing ruby 010.jpg
    smlRing ruby 010.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 240
  • smlRing ruby 007.jpg
    smlRing ruby 007.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
That's a nice ring t1ger!

Very nice! I love deep red gems too. I have never used the resizing service myself but others here probably have. If it's a service attached to Rocks I would imagine they work to a similar standard (or I would hope they do!) but I don't know this for sure. There might be some more information about the service in the paperwork that came with the ring. Failing that, have a look at the Rocks website.

Re size - what is the difference in size between your index and middle fingers? If there is more than a size in difference, I would split the difference and go for the size in between. That way you will have the flexibility to wear it on either finger, although it will be a little bit loose on one and a little bit tight on the other. If it is a difference of just one size, I would size it for the finger you think it looks best on. I like it on the fourth finger myself but I can see how it would look good on the middle one too, due to its size.

Decisions, decisions...! :33:

Thanks Supercoolwillow. :)

Hollybee - The size difference is actually 2 :2: so I do have to pick one, typical! I too am pushed more towards to 4th finger, it makes the ring look bigger. Oh, btw I broke the seal on the bag and I am keeping the earrings :D they were just too pretty to send back.

Very pretty ring tiger and I think it looks very well on both fingers. Can't quite see the shank but presumably you've checked it can be re-sized down. Sometimes there is a hollowing out on the inside of the band and a lot of this tends to weaken the band...
just relevant when re-sizing.

I recalled seeing a thread posted some time back on the merits of Maker Mends and am posting the link for you to
take a peek at if you wish.

http://www.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6288

Thank you Sacha for your help, I am checking out that link now :1:

I have uploaded a pick of the shank, see what you think! I am hoping it can be re-sized from the standard N. My ring finger is a K and my middle finger is an M but the N fits it when my fingers are warm!!!!

Attachments

• smlRing ruby shank 002.jpg
    smlRing ruby shank 002.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 202
  • smlRing ruby shank 001.jpg
    smlRing ruby shank 001.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Sorry for delayed reply tiger...been away from the pooter for a bit.

I can see that the hollowing of the inside of the band isn't extensive and there seems to be plenty of gold at the back for the ring to be down sized and retain its strength. I've only ever used my local jeweller for resizing...both up and down for different fingers and its always the first thing he checks. And then has a good moan about TV jewellery always being hollowed out on the band to save gold weight! :54:

Thanks for the reply Sasha. I think after reading that thread about Maker Mends I might pop along to my local jewellers first to get a quote for re-sizing there. Maybe if it were a cheap ring I would send it off to Maker Mends but I'd rather not risk it with this. I certainly will not be sending off my ONE collection Tanzanite ring when my husband buys me it!! :54::54::54::51:

Hi T1ger I too am as size K on my fourth finger and have to be very careful when purchasing rings so that they are able to be resized, watch for hollowing out of rings also if gemstones are set on shoulders by either pave setting or channel setting can't usually be resized down more than 1 or 2 sizes. By the way love you're tanzanian ruby ring I prefer rings also to go on my fourth finger, don't think you should have any problems getting that ring resized - I always use my local jewellers also and like Sacha said they usually have a moan about 'shopping tv' jewellery so prepare yourself for that, welcome to the forum by the way:)

Thank you PandaBear. I think I will take a trip to my local jewellers and get a quote for re-sizing to a K. I will keep you posted.

Ring Re-sizing

Lovely ring tiger. I have bought 13 rings from Rocks and Co so far - must buy another one, just for good luck you understand !

I wasn't sure of the size I wanted either, the ring sizer they provide is ok but like you I wasn't sure which finger I wanted it on and I found the same finger of each hand were also different sizes - guess I'm just weird.

I double checked at my jewellers for size confirmation and then sent off the cheapest ring to Maker Mends. It took 3 weeks... it was early December so I guess they were very busy... I was a little concerned with the time it was taking so I rang Maker Mends CS and they were great, told me the day it was going to be delivered, and it was on time, it had been perfectly resized and I was really happy with it. I'm just about to send off the others. Hope this helps.

Wow Penny Pincher that is quite a collection of rings! Which ones did you buy? I think I could by hundreds of rings, a different once for each day :18: but not sure my bank manager or husband would agree with that!

t1ger hello and welcome!

Looking at your ring, you won't have any problems with re-sizing to a K but just check with the jeweller that he/she will ensure the side marquise stones (where they're attached to the shoulder) will be strengthened if required after the resizing.

As you have little fingers, if you don't mind I'd like to warn you about something ........... Pandabear has mentioned the problems with channel, pave setting on shoulders and said they can be re-sized down by about 1 or 2 sizes. IMVHO I wouldn't even attempt to re-size those rings.

Very basically, when a ring is made smaller, the shank is cut and the sides of the ring are pushed together and then soldered. If there are stones on the shoulders the act of pushing the shank to a smaller shape puts a strain on the setting. The stones can become unstable and the setting compromised - it's also not always obvious when this happens either. The only way to stop this happening is for the jeweller to take out all the shoulder stones and re-set them again once the ring has been re-sized. This of course is not a re-sizing job and therefore costs much more.

Over the years on this forum there have been many people who have had rings re-sized and the problem may not be apparent at first but certainly over time will find they lose stones. Of course, it doesn't always happen BUT it is a huge risk - especially if you've paid a lot of money for the ring in the first place.

Hope that helps and enjoy wearing your new ring!

Thank you Meeshoo that is all very informative :1:

Yes getting rings re-sized for my ring finger is a pain with it being a K, my middle finger is not so bad with their size N as that finger is N/M depending on the ring. I find that some rings can be a little larger when there is all that extra space underneath the setting, so if they don't have to much extra space there, they tend to fit the middle finger OK (hope that make sense! )

One thing someone has mentioned to me it the past, is find a jeweller that will build up the band to make it smaller, you would end up with a much thicker band and have to pay for the extra gold but if you can get that done, it's a much safer bet! Has anyone heard of this being done instead of taking gold out? My main reason for asking this is because I have loved some of their ONE tanzanite white gold rings, and my hubby has promised me before the end of the year to replace my current engagement ring.:) Now most of the ones that I have liked have diamonds set in the shoulders. BTW did any one see this one attached WOW!

Attachments

• Tanz.jpg
    Tanz.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 183
One thing someone has mentioned to me it the past, is find a jeweller that will build up the band to make it smaller, you would end up with a much thicker band and have to pay for the extra gold but if you can get that done, it's a much safer bet! Has anyone heard of this being done instead of taking gold out? My main reason for asking this is because I have loved some of their ONE tanzanite white gold rings, and my hubby has promised me before the end of the year to replace my current engagement ring.:) Now most of the ones that I have liked have diamonds set in the shoulders. BTW did any one see this one attached WOW!

The Tanzanite ring in the link is already over 4g of gold so if you added gold to that shank it would be thick AND might look out of proportion and feel too bulky behind your finger. Also Tanzanite's shouldn't go anywhere near heat so it would have to be removed from the setting before the jeweller attempted to work on the shank. Tanzanite is not a particularly hardy or durable stone and mounting/dismounting holds risks of fracturing, breaking, chipping etc. If you go down this route please make sure that the jeweller will do any work covered by HIS insurance. Some will/some won't. Tanzanites are really not suitable for everyday wear because of their durability, susceptibility to thermal shock etc. If you do get one as an engagement ring you have to take great care of it - don't go near water with it on, don't clean in a sonic cleaner, etc etc.

Yes, adding gold to a shank is possible BUT in order to do this successfully you might need to remove the head from the shank to protect the head/stones. In all honesty, I don't know if it would be cost effective. When makings rings smaller/larger, good jewellers will add gold in any case (but again, you normally won't get that for a cheap resizing service).

Last edited:
Thanks again Meeshoo this is all very helpful advice.

This is quite sad news though as it seems that my dream ONE ring wont be re-sizeable when I find it! :17: I can't even get fat to make it fit cause my fingers stay the same when I do :18:

Thanks again Meeshoo this is all very helpful advice.

This is quite sad news though as it seems that my dream ONE ring wont be re-sizeable when I find it! :17: I can't even get fat to make it fit cause my fingers stay the same when I do :18:

T1ger everything is re-sizeable BUT you need to find a jeweller who will do the job properly so the setting won't be compromised! This will obviously cost more but will minimise the risk of you losing gemstones in the future.

T1ger everything is re-sizeable BUT you need to find a jeweller who will do the job properly so the setting won't be compromised! This will obviously cost more but will minimise the risk of you losing gemstones in the future.

I best get hunting then for the best jeweller for the job!

Latest posts

Back