Ring re-sizing Service - Any good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just thought I would give you all an update. I took my ring this morning to a very reputable independent jewellers. I asked about getting the ring re-sized but never said where I bought it from. The lady went away to get the workshop manager who's first words were "where on earth did you buy this from, there is no way I would even attempt to re-size this, it would melt the gold is so little" He was actually amazed at just how little gold there was holding the ring together, although he did say the gems were good. So there you have it, you get what you pay for. It is easy to see just how they keep things so cheap, they buy the gems in bulk so they loose a lot of the mark up that high street jewellers have, then they use as little gold as possible.

I chatted with them about the ONE collection rings that they have and they said that in all honesty, it would be worth paying that bit more and having the stone sourced and made up by a jeweller. A good sales pitch for them I know and I probably would be looking a quite a bit more money, but I think for that ONE ring to last forever and be passed down, it might be worth it. I think so long as you really understand what you are paying for then Rocks have some nice things, but do not be mislead that you are getting the deal of the century because you most definitely are not.

Thanks for the update tiger and sorry to hear that you've had disppointing news on the re-sizing of your ring. :eek:

I've not bought any gold rings just a few silver ones some time back. But it has been noted on here a number of times that the gold weight has been rather light, sometimes even on some costly pieces! This is really significant when a ring has to be resized as the gold band needs to have adequate strength, before and after the re-sizing.......or it will likely bend or even snap after a time! :11:

Perhaps you'll just decide to keep the ring and wear it on your middle finger as a compromise? :)

PS I don't know what the gold weight of this ring is but just looking back at your close-up pics, I can see that there a number of prongs holding the stones in place, all taking up their quota of gold!

Last edited:
Are you going to send the ring back t1ger? I have to admit, now I have heard this from you I am thinking about sending all mine back...

I wouldn't go so far as to send them all back, if they fit that is. Like I said, as long as you really like the ring and were not expecting the deal of the century then their stuff is quite nice. I am going to keep mine just because I like the design so much. I have bought a re-size clip to put on it for my middle finger. I did receive this silver one today 714 922 and this is actually quite thick, but that's cause it is silver.

Hi Tiger, I'm one of the ones who has mentioned the very light gold weight. I have always said how pleased I have been with the many pieces I have bought from Rocks but I think I was a bit dazzled by the stones because when I've taken a second look I'm actually very disappointed at the thin, stingy bands on most of the rings. The biggest disappointment is my Rubellite ring. I've been looking for the right one for a while and when hubby bought me this one I was over the moon as the stone was exactly the right colour and has great clarity. However if I'd actually been honest when I got it I would have returned it because the band is both much narrower at the back than I would normally wear and it is paper thin!!

I see many pieces I would love to have but sadly I won't buy again unless the gold weight increases substantially. It's really false economy when you compare the gold weight with the likes of Gems TV or TJC - it's about half of what you get from them! Yes the gems look fab but unfortunately that's not everything.

Normally I would tut and shake my head when any High Street jeweller criticises purchases from the TV Jewellery channels as they do tend to knock the competition, however knowing what I know now this jeweller you went to was being honest with you. Oh well, back to TJC and Gems for me then!

Thanks for posting this by the way.

Last edited:
Just to inject another point of view .........

What you get with Rocks&Co rings are good accent diamonds. All of their jewellery I've personally seen have had extremely good quality diamonds. That actually makes a ring more valuable AND gives it a better appearance.

Like I said the other day on another thread, if they increase the goldweight they have to compromise somewhere and that would be (in all likelihood) the accent diamonds. If you remember there were thread upon thread upon thread in the GemsTV section (before everything got lost) that criticised GemsTV accent diamonds and tons of stuff was sent back because of it.

So, would you rather pay more and have thicker shanks?
Would you rather pay the same and have a good goldweight but horrible diamonds?

It's about balance at the end of the day. I'd prefer good quality diamonds because shanks can always (at the right time) be made thicker. To replace diamonds is more costly.

You get what you pay for I guess.

I chatted with them about the ONE collection rings that they have and they said that in all honesty, it would be worth paying that bit more and having the stone sourced and made up by a jeweller. A good sales pitch for them I know and I probably would be looking a quite a bit more money, but I think for that ONE ring to last forever and be passed down, it might be worth it. I think so long as you really understand what you are paying for then Rocks have some nice things, but do not be mislead that you are getting the deal of the century because you most definitely are not.

Just a word of warning ........ buying a loose gemstone from an independent jeweller is likely to cost at least double than you would pay from the TV shopping channels because they can't buy direct and won't have the choice of the best stones (generally). I know you're looking for Tanzanite and I know from a jeweller friend of mine the price he can buy/sell it for means he never stocks it. Also, if you're looking for a certain colour/cut etc., if you buy from the TV Channels you can keep returning until the gemstone you LOVE turns up. With the local jeweller it'll be much harder to do that.

Another option is buy a ring from Rocks&Co (or one of the other TV shopping channels) with the gemstone you love and then, when you can afford it, change the setting. That would be a much less expensive route. I have done this on a number of occasions.

Hope that helps.

I sent everything back in my last order as the gold was so very thin. OK, the prices are lower but in my eyes the rings looked cheap because there was so little gold.

It's a shame because the majority of stones are really lovely. Most of the stuff I go for is around £80 - £150 per item so for me another two grams of gold would sort out the issues and add around £25 to the cost - well worth it.

Just to inject another point of view .........

What you get with Rocks&Co rings are good accent diamonds. All of their jewellery I've personally seen have had extremely good quality diamonds. That actually makes a ring more valuable AND gives it a better appearance.

Like I said the other day on another thread, if they increase the goldweight they have to compromise somewhere and that would be (in all likelihood) the accent diamonds. If you remember there were thread upon thread upon thread in the GemsTV section (before everything got lost) that criticised GemsTV accent diamonds and tons of stuff was sent back because of it.

So, would you rather pay more and have thicker shanks?
Would you rather pay the same and have a good goldweight but horrible diamonds?

It's about balance at the end of the day. I'd prefer good quality diamonds because shanks can always (at the right time) be made thicker. To replace diamonds is more costly.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Very good point Meeshoo. I agree with what you're saying about the diamond accents - Rocks are much better. I want to have my cake and eat it I suppose but the rings do feel very cheap because of the lack of gold. If I wore any of them on a daily basis (which I don't because I have around 140 so change them daily), I honestly believe they would wear through at the back in no time at all. Additionally, as Miss Kitty says, they do feel cheap despite the gems looking so good. When they're on your hand you don't see this but when you take them off they are very light and, for want of a better word, flimsy. I would prefer to pay a little more to have the better gold weight whilst keeping the diamonds too.

Very good point Meeshoo. I agree with what you're saying about the diamond accents - Rocks are much better. I want to have my cake and eat it I suppose but the rings do feel very cheap because of the lack of gold. If I wore any of them on a daily basis (which I don't because I have around 140 so change them daily), I honestly believe they would wear through at the back in no time at all. Additionally, as Miss Kitty says, they do feel cheap despite the gems looking so good. When they're on your hand you don't see this but when you take them off they are very light and, for want of a better word, flimsy. I would prefer to pay a little more to have the better gold weight whilst keeping the diamonds too

So would I but in all honesty it wouldn't just cost £25 extra as Miss Kitty says. £25 would be the cost of an additional 2g at cost price (9ct) or thereabouts. By the time the margins are added on, moulds re-made etc you'd be talking £50-75. I guess if you're paying for an expensive ring that could be justified and people would pay it, but for a ring under £250? Rocks could well get a reputation then for being expensive. It's a very fine line!

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything that's been said, I want my cake and eat it as well - good goldweight, great well cut stones with a lovely saturation and excellent diamond accents for much cheaper than I can get elsewhere! :4:

If something has to give, I'd rather it was the goldweight than the gemstones though!

Last edited:
I guess the gold weight would not be as big an issue if you could get the size ring you wanted! How many people are the national average N????? Everyone I know or have spoken to has to get rings from TV sites altered from the ""average" N

I know that there are a lot of comments on here now about how good the diamonds are even though the gold is rubbish. Isnt that a bit like like selling Dom Perignon in a milk carton!

I guess the gold weight would not be as big an issue if you could get the size ring you wanted! How many people are the national average N????? Everyone I know or have spoken to has to get rings from TV sites altered from the ""average" N

I know that there are a lot of comments on here now about how good the diamonds are even though the gold is rubbish. Isnt that a bit like like selling Dom Perignon in a milk carton!

Despite me still thinking the gold weight's stingy, I have to agree with Meeshoo that if something has to give to get the affordable prices then it is better that it's the gold rather than the gems. Let's be honest - you get what you pay for. So if you want your Dom Perignon in a Dom Perignon bottle then you have to pay for it! You know something? I've just realised that I've talked myself round 360 degrees here!! Going one step further, having said that the gold weight is much higher from Gems TV, I had a good look at my rings from there and compared them with the ones from Rocks and I have to say the Rocks ones do appear to have a far better quality of gemstone.

Last edited:
. Let's be honest - you get what you pay for. So if you want your Dom Perignon in a Dom Perignon bottle then you have to pay for it!

What I was trying to say, why take something extremely good quality then dress it down SO badly with the gold weight, surly most people would rather pay that little bit more for better quality. (Dom in a plain bottle rather than a milk carton) Even then you would still be paying much less than the high street. Like I also said, what is the point if you cant get the rings re-sized properly. I have had to return all the rings that I wanted to get re-sized as I cant find any one prepared to even take the risk working on them! What I have kept, I have had to settle for a ring clip to change the size. This is such a shame because yes, compared to the other channels out there, they do offer very good gems and great designs. I really hope that Rocks plan to change this! PLEASE

Just thought that I would upate you all, I had my first lot of re-sized rings back today from Maker Mends and they are perfect. Lets hope the next lot come back just as good. I did have them sized down so I cannot comment on their sizing up.

I have called Maker Mends and they were very good about the situation. They are now on their way back for changing free of charge. :1::1::1:

Oh Tiger that's a bummer! Are they too big or too small? Hopefully the former as they'll be easier to correct then.

I know what it's like to have small fingers but the funny thing is that my fingers appear to have put on weight (just my fingers of course cough cough! :54:) and now the "UK most common size N" actually fits me OK although an M would be better! I was usually a K and have loads of rings in a size K but now they're a real struggle to get on. I won't bother getting them altered though just in case my fingers lose the weight again!!

Oh Tiger that's a bummer! Are they too big or too small? Hopefully the former as they'll be easier to correct then.

I know what it's like to have small fingers but the funny thing is that my fingers appear to have put on weight (just my fingers of course cough cough! :54:) and now the "UK most common size N" actually fits me OK although an M would be better! I was usually a K and have loads of rings in a size K but now they're a real struggle to get on. I won't bother getting them altered though just in case my fingers lose the weight again!!

I know, ah well never mind! At least these were the silver rings I sent and not my gold ones.

Maybe it's just water retention, that's what I always tell myself when things get bigger!!!!!! :3:

Latest posts

Back