Important - check your credit card statements - for "Travel Steps"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Up the Amazon

I was on Amazon.co.uk yesterday buying some Emu boots in their sale.
They have a scheme just started and you get free super fast delivery free for one month after that they will take £47+ from your account to joint this club. I didn't even want to try it for a month incase of problems cancelling afterwards.

No need to be nervous - Amazon are true professionals. I tried the free trial over Christmas, and then cancelled it on the last day of the free trial. In fact I was worried that I had missed it and would have to pay the £49, but they were good as gold, and I got an immediate email back confirming my trial membership was now cancelled and that no money would be taken. An "Ideal" sitiuation I think you'll agree, but possibly not what one would experience at Ideal, who might leave one up the Amazon without a paddle! :9:

as i psoted over on C.T. i got this call too, they said they were idela world and knew all bout my last craft purchase and also mention craft deals on that day.they said they would send me a mag and that I was not obliged by anything I could keep the mag and joked I could make a card out of it if I didnt like it,and just let them know not to post anymore to save the trees they did mention a holiday and threatre discount thing to me but siad that I only paid if I wanted to tke up the offers.The way it was put to me was I was getting a ideal woprld mag not some holiday discount thing.I am not this giullable normally, I had a call once about studio 64 and that I'd wond a free make over I saw reight throught that ok, but when somwone wings says theya re ideal world and knows what you ahve purchased you kinda beleive its them, Im going to ring them now and also trading standards

I rang ideal world's customer service and was told that the uk based office is no longer there ,the number I had is no longer in use.and all I can do is talk to indian call centre. I rnag my bank who told me that unless I gave them my details I should not have any worries.And that if I do get debited then Idela world will be in big trouble as they would have been the ones to pass on the details. I would think that somewhere along the line the cold caller must have obtained card details from the person they phoned as I realycan't beleive that Ideal world passed on cc details and purchase details. unless it was someone dodgy working for them.

Last edited:
I would do but I'did be without new ones for a wwk, and I don't live near a bank to draw cash> mu bank will look at my accounts fro a while and said they will refer any amounts that are not my normal payments. They did say that if ideal world are found to be passing on this info they will be closed down

Just had a call from banks fraud office

Although your card details are held on a site a 3rd party can not get the security code,unless when you call ,someone writes it down and remembers it for your card A 3rd party can not debit your account without security number.

It is illegal to pass on credit card details(well i know that)and they doubt that is what has happened as it is too risky and they would soon get found out unless someone on the staff is up to no good .
Buy agreeing to a deal over the phone you are not entering into contract as it just word of mouth but by giving your card details and security code ect you are entering into a contract, but you still have a cooling off period.
He said that you should never give out details to someone who calls you, you should ring them to check that they are who they say they are but look up the number don't use the one they give.Beware what details you give out on forums people can find out alot about you what you buy ect. saying that how they new what I had ordered is a mystry it was over a year ago and I shread all my reciepts, its suprising how some people forget shopping telly receipts like ideal world ect. another thing is beware of overseas call centres as it is known that there is a scam of some holding customers details.

So I think we are safe and maybe the person who got caught out did infact agree to the deal and give out details, we shall wait the outcome

You've got to be so on the ball these days. As fast as you cotton onto one scam three more are rolled out in its pace. It's the more vulnerable amongst us that are mainly taken in. My mum (who now lives with me) has a type of dementia and every day there would be piles of scam letters arriving for her as she had obviously replied to some offer and then her details got passed from one con merchant to another. It makes me sick that people can prey on obviously unwell people. It's hard enough when you've got all your wits about to distinguish the good from the bad , but when you're unwell it's a nightmare. Mum had me to look out for her but some people have no-one.

Travel Steps

I too had a telephone call from a very nice lady who said she was from Ideal World. She asked if I was pleased with things I had purchased from them and noticed I had bought quite a few things in the past.

She talked about some special items in programmes coming up in the next couple of days.

She then went on to mention "Travel Steps". She said she would send a brochure and I would need to cancel it within 30 or money would be deducted from my Account. I said I would definitely cancel as I was not interested, so she said it was not worth sending the brochure.

I was certainly under the impression that this brochure was coming from Ideal World and not somebody else. I know Companies pass on your name etc. to others but it sounds as if they also pass on your Credit Card details as well.

In this day and age with all the identity fraud around this should be stopped immediately. I had not given permission for my Card to be used by this company so surely it is illegal, even if I had agreed to have the brochure sent to me.

I was on Amazon.co.uk yesterday buying some Emu boots in their sale.
They have a scheme just started and you get free super fast delivery free for one month after that they will take £47+ from your account to joint this club. I didn't even want to try it for a month incase of problems cancelling afterwards.

This service is brilliant, we have just renewed and it has saved us a fortune in postage this year, as we can both use it on our separate Amazon accounts.

I had better stay clear of Amazon then.

I am supprised that a company like that tried this on?

This is Amazon Prime, it is superfast delivery - FREE! Even for one item that wouldn't normally attract free p&p! It really is worthwhile if you order loads.

I have just received an email from the projects manager at Ideal world well it says it them but not so sure ,it says they have tried to ring me today with no result , I've been here all day,they want me to ring them to discuss their connection with travel steps.

I have just had call from John Ackroyd
Strategic Project Manager at Ideal World
Yes they do have a connection with travel steps he said that this promotion was on Ideal World before Christamas and many people took up the offer, When I told him about the call I got he said that they should not say they have called from Ideal World and that they should explain exactly what the offer was, and to read the booklet that arrives that clearly states that if you don't cancel then you will be charged,They do not pass on card details but the company can debit you via the Ideal world sytem.I Said I was not happy that I was given theh impression that It was Ideal World ringing at that they seem to know my order history, and that I though the booklet was an ideal world one. and that I was told about the travel offer , that I could throw the book away but tell then if I was not interested as it was a waste of postage and trees , at no time was I told that if I did not ring to cancel I would be charged. so they are going to listen to my phone call, but have assured my this booklet will be cancelled. he did go on to say that anyone who has been duped(my words not his) in this way and is not interested to call for a refund.
If you received the booklet ring them at once to cancel and if you still get debited I have a number you can contact Mr Ackroyd

After reading all this and having yet another call which my husband answered. They wouldn't speak to him but said they would ring again when I am available.
I am now wondering whether to go onto IW and delete all my details although its probably to late for that now.

I had a phone call this morning from a young man saying he was from Ideal World, he started by discussing some up and coming shows he thought I'd be interested in and even naming the last 5 items I'd bought ( I'm not impressed with someone knowing my shopping habits) he went on to ask if my user account name, postal address and delivery address were correct as he reeled them off and then read my credit card number to me! apart from being perturbed by some stranger who I'd not purposely dealt with knowing all that personal info I was concerned about them knowing my work address, this I use as my delivery address, I hope they don't start mythering me there!

Anyway, after I pointedly refused to take his offer of the brochure and demanded he remove my details from their mailing list or I would take legal action he sheepishly put the phone down.

I will not be buying anything else from Ideal World due to this episode....I spent on average £100 a month, not alot in the big scheme of things but it was regular...I wonder if the money/business IW got from giving this company loyal customers details is enough to carry them through this rough time....I doubt it, if people who've trusted them enough to part with hard earn money have lost faith in them I can't see potential customers, going on the complaints written on this forum, will pull them through the recession.

Good work Ideal World...a perfect example of biting the hand that feeds.

Ideal World are in association with travel steps, apparently they advertised this promotion on Ideal world last year and got a good response:29:
The Idea is you pay for your flights ect but your accommadation is discounted, same as most hotels offer in the quite season.
I was told by John Ackroyd
Strategic Project Manager that he thought it a good idea to give ideal world customers the chance to be part of the deal so uses their customer base for marketing.And that the cold caller should make it Clear that it was travel steps not Ideal world who were calling and that the offer should be explained in full. I told him that I was told it was Ideal World and they were telling me of new offers and although I had agreed to a booklet I was under the impression that it was for ideal world goods and that the holiday promotion was just included. at no point was I told that I would have to pay if I was not interested and did not tell them. he said that the marketing script had been changed last year to make sure everything was clear but was supprised when I said that I had got this call on Friday .It is obvious that these callers are working at Ideal World and that they just want to get as many booklets agreed to so they get the commission, he had nothing to say to that. That would explain how they have details of our purchases. Our cc details are not passed on to anyone but as Ideal World are working with travel steps they can debit our accounts as it part of the company.I dont think he believed what my phone call included so said he would get a copy of my convo.
I would ask anyone else who has been dupt into thinking it was ideal world and that they were not told the full story about the holiday bit to contact John Ackroyd
Strategic Project Manager
01733 316676

[email protected]
so that he is aware of the sneeky tacktics being used
I would email to save on the phone call although he did call me back to save my phone bill

As this happened to my husband a couple of months ago, not through Ideal World but a DVD company, i have been following the thread

The more I read the more worrying this situation is for everyone.

If this company CAN debit your account through details obtained from another company without consent, then surely this should be stopped!

I never agree to 3rd party, though i'm sure that despite me ticking the box as aprropriate, its ignored, i still get junk mail and phone calls.

I have subscribed to both postal and telephone preferences but I still get them, but this kind of shady dealing does need to be dealt with.

Another reason now to NOT order from them

Having checked out the Travel Steps site, I have now confirmed my intial gut feeling when I first read about this. It is TIMESHARE, at least the three "country clubs" advertised here are, details are not given for the foreign destinations. http://www.travel-steps.co.uk/breaks.php

I can guarantee that anyone stupid enough to take up the offer will be pestered to purchase from the minute they enter the resort until the moment they leave.

Whoever thought this up is very canny. Under the Consumer Credit Act, if you're induced into buying something because of a misrepresentation by the seller, then you can claim the money back from your credit card company. What this means is that if you're told a lie about a product you have chosen or if you're lied to about the nature of the transaction ("We're Ideal World, let us send you a brochure") you can claim from your credit card company BUT you can only do so if the amount is over £100 (or under £30,000).

So they're very cleverly pitching this at £99 to make sure that victims can't get the money back via s.75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Latest posts

Back