How Did They Get the Details?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

milton's Keen

Registered Shopper
It has not been a good week for us with Home Shopping, we have problems with QVC but even more worrying is the fact that my wife received a 'Hello and welcome to Ideal World' letter with a membership card and customer number. The problem is that she has never ordered from Ideal World; a technical error, Ideal World said, we sent membership details to some people who had not ordered from us because we picked up the details from a Royal Mail post code database (but this would not have peoples names?). If this was all it would be anoying, but it got worse, when I logged into the 'Your Account' details on the IW web site it held her credit card details under the payment details box, the last four numbers of the card number and the correct start and end date. The list of the last 5 orders was blank so I don't think we have ever ordered from them so where did the card account details in the 'Payment Details' come from. Where did they get the information from that they used for this mail out.

Has anyone else had similar problems? There are data protection issues here any suggestions for who else should be contacted? I have kept hard copy screen shots of the offending details as evidence. I will also bill IW for the cost of the 10 minutes or more it took them to produce a manager.

I'd call the Police as clearly laws have been broken here. They can also advise you who else to call.

I'd also contact your bank and get that card cancelled, just incase. At least then no money can be taken out of her account without her knowledge.

Regarding the Post Office post code database though, that is probably correct as I always have to put in my membership number when I order via QCut on QVC, and then I enter my pin number. When I rang CS to ask why I couldn't just put in my pin number, like it says, she explained that there was probably another QVC member in my road. And it turns out that there is, because a few days later the post office delivered something that she'd ordered to me by mistake.

The fact that your wife's details are on IW is worrying though, as she's never ordered from them.

I would be very worried and want to get to the bottom of it very quickly, the police and trading standards are very good advice.

things at ideal world seem to be going from bad to worse... adding this to the experiences of people who have posted on my thread about the payments to travel steps...

Having worked with the Royal Mail Postcode database, I can assure you it it only has postal addresses. The only time it holds names is when a postcode is for one name - a business or shop. The fact that IW had all your details is scary. I'd be hitting them with everything, and demanding a written apology, at least. This put's folk off firms. As Toril said, get that bank card stopped, just in case.

This is very worrying but there is no way the Royal Mail could ever have your CArd Details, the only way Ideal World could have this information is if someone tried to use the card. You should firstly cancel the card/s and then contact the bank and the police. The ONLY way Ideal World could have your card details are if someone gave it to them, and it could mean looking at anyone who could have access to these by either other family members or friends. Maybe your Wife is like me and tried to buy some stuff behind your back then maybe had second thoughts? I know I dont tell my Hubby about everything I buy he would only roll his eyes and sigh which takes the pleasure out of buying it so the less he knows the better.
The other worrying scenario is that Ideal World have access to a Credit card data base or a Data Base from some other shopping channel. though this would not be legal.
If you can truly rule out anone you know who may have used your details you MUST contact the Police.
I hope you sort it out but with the "Overseas Call centre" no one can really trust that their details are safe or not being sold to the highest bidder or that Ideal World havent gone and bought a "dodgy" data base from there. The Police must be informed. Good Luck.

This is very worrying but there is no way the Royal Mail could ever have your CArd Details, the only way Ideal World could have this information is if someone tried to use the card. You should firstly cancel the card/s and then contact the bank and the police. The ONLY way Ideal World could have your card details are if someone gave it to them, and it could mean looking at anyone who could have access to these by either other family members or friends. Maybe your Wife is like me and tried to buy some stuff behind your back then maybe had second thoughts? I know I dont tell my Hubby about everything I buy he would only roll his eyes and sigh which takes the pleasure out of buying it so the less he knows the better. The other worrying scenario is that Ideal World have access to a Credit card data base or a Data Base from some other shopping channel. though this would not be legal. If you can truly rule out anone you know who may have used your details you MUST contact the Police.
I hope you sort it out but with the "Overseas Call centre" no one can really trust that their details are safe or not being sold to the highest bidder or that Ideal World havent gone and bought a "dodgy" data base from there. The Police must be informed. Good Luck.

This is exactly what I was thinking yesterday. :33:

How many sites do IW have these days? Have you used create and craft? Or one of the other linked sites maybe.

This is very worrying but there is no way the Royal Mail could ever have your CArd Details, the only way Ideal World could have this information is if someone tried to use the card. You should firstly cancel the card/s and then contact the bank and the police. The ONLY way Ideal World could have your card details are if someone gave it to them, and it could mean looking at anyone who could have access to these by either other family members or friends. Maybe your Wife is like me and tried to buy some stuff behind your back then maybe had second thoughts? I know I dont tell my Hubby about everything I buy he would only roll his eyes and sigh which takes the pleasure out of buying it so the less he knows the better.
The other worrying scenario is that Ideal World have access to a Credit card data base or a Data Base from some other shopping channel. though this would not be legal.
If you can truly rule out anone you know who may have used your details you MUST contact the Police.

My Oh always tends to roll his eyes at me if I tell him I've bought anything from a shopping channel! If I come home with an M&S bag, or any high street shop for that matter, he doesn't bat an eyelid. Just the other day, I showed him a dress I'd bought from a shopping channel, he said that's lovely, where did you get it? Told him it was from a shopping channel, and immediately, he tossed his head up to the heavens, asked me how much it was, told him the true price,as it was inexpensive..then he asked how much p&p did you get stung for then? It's amazing blokes will sit at the 'puter all day buying stuff from Ebay and Amazon, and that's fine...but I think the idea of their wives at home with shopping tv on, a credit card and access to a telephone scares the hell out of them!

Back on topic.....Have you or your wife asked IW if they've got any record of any purchases made on that account, or any record of the date the card was registered? I know with the auction channels you have to register a credit or debit card online even before you buy anything, thus enabling you to bid and buy...Don't know if it's the same for IW....I thought that you just registered your name, address and postal code, and would only need payment details at the checkout stage of proceedings, and then you have an option to save it on file for future purchases. Find out 'cause if your wife truly has no connections with Ideal world whatsover, then it is a matter for the police to investigate....Good luck!

Maybe your wife was trying to buy you a present and didn't want to tell you that she had called Ideal World!

I doubt that a fraudster would go the trouble of setting up an account and registering your card details and then not bother placing an order.

I've just checked an a new customer does have to log some kind of payment card in order to register. Just double check with your wife and ask her if she remembers registering at any time...get her to log onto the site and see if it rings a bell. Like another poster said, I doubt if anyone would go to the trouble of registering the card and not using it, and if they were to order goods, they'd come to your address anyway..d'oh! Failing that if they did put an alternative address to send the goods to, then it'll be on your account for all to see!

Last edited:
We did of course, cancel the credit card immediately. I have sent a email to IW asking to explain how the data came to be on their server. As some of you have suggested it may be that she has placed, or attempted to place an order in the past and her details were taken. I know she has ordered recently from QVC and we have ordered from Sit Up in the past. I suspect that she does not know her IW from QVC, she sees something of interest and rings the number on the screen but it will only be by phone she would not use a PC to enter any account details.

The fact remains that we got a IW membership number out of the blue, when checking against that number I found 'Payment Details' already set up. I have asked them why, and there may well be a perfectly reasonable answer, I have asked for the answer within 48 hours, if I don't get one I'll see what the Data Protection Registrar has to say about this.

If an order has been made by phone then they will take your details and give you a customer number, these details are on the data base, so if in the future you make an order you can do it online or by in first without having to give your details again. I would suspect that an order has been made by phone before and thats how they got your details.I have noticed that on my account history my first phone order is not showing on my account but other orders since are. They also sent me my account number out when I had not ordered for a long time.

Secret Shopper

It has not been a good week for us with Home Shopping, we have problems with QVC but even more worrying is the fact that my wife received a 'Hello and welcome to Ideal World' letter with a membership card and customer number. The problem is that she has never ordered from Ideal World; a technical error, Ideal World said, we sent membership details to some people who had not ordered from us because we picked up the details from a Royal Mail post code database (but this would not have peoples names?). If this was all it would be anoying, but it got worse, when I logged into the 'Your Account' details on the IW web site it held her credit card details under the payment details box, the last four numbers of the card number and the correct start and end date. The list of the last 5 orders was blank so I don't think we have ever ordered from them so where did the card account details in the 'Payment Details' come from. Where did they get the information from that they used for this mail out.

Has anyone else had similar problems? There are data protection issues here any suggestions for who else should be contacted? I have kept hard copy screen shots of the offending details as evidence. I will also bill IW for the cost of the 10 minutes or more it took them to produce a manager.

Maybe your better half was secretly buying you a Valentine's day gift, and now the secret's out???? :11: But seriously, it's outrageous if they have somehow got your details - sounds like one for the Data protection people to me!! I should get on to Mike Hancock and ask him what they are playing at. :53:

We did of course, cancel the credit card immediately. I have sent a email to IW asking to explain how the data came to be on their server. As some of you have suggested it may be that she has placed, or attempted to place an order in the past and her details were taken. I know she has ordered recently from QVC and we have ordered from Sit Up in the past. I suspect that she does not know her IW from QVC, she sees something of interest and rings the number on the screen but it will only be by phone she would not use a PC to enter any account details.

The fact remains that we got a IW membership number out of the blue, when checking against that number I found 'Payment Details' already set up. I have asked them why, and there may well be a perfectly reasonable answer, I have asked for the answer within 48 hours, if I don't get one I'll see what the Data Protection Registrar has to say about this.

I think you have probablly solved your mystery by the fact that you admit your wife uses other shopping channels and doesnt know which is which;)
I find it very surprising that a channel like Ideal World would have total strangers details through any dodgy dealings. I could understand a company who relied on cold calling for their business may have details through the wrong means but Ideal World work on the fact "the customer" calls them to buy not the other way around. I suggest your wife has registered and forgotton about it, it is easy done. :32:

Latest posts

Back