Special club

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Also ment to say, I had never given my details to this cowboy organisation. Only pricedrop tv. ever had my bank details...so they must have passed them to these ba**ards....is that legal?

I don't think so, I think they can pass your details (not credit card though) to other companies, but even then they have to ask you....there's normally a box to tick.
I remember being asked whether I wanted to join a holiday club when I shopped with Thane direct, it sounded too good to be true, so I just said no...glad I did!

Update...

I called IW today and after being kept on hold for as long as they could get away with, I was put through to (allegedly) a "Manager" called Brendan Carter who sounded more like he came from Bombay. :12:

He stated that Pressplay are a "sister organisation" so it doesn't sound at all like they are disassociating themselves to me! (as someone mentioned on another thread)

I was not given a definitive answer as to how my encrypted credit card details could be passed to another company (sister or not)
I was not given a definitive answer to why I was mislead about the status of this company on the phone.
I was also not told how my marketing preferences had been set to something I would never have considered selecting either.

I have asked that my credit card details are removed from IW's database, that they personally see to it that my details are removed from their "sister company's" database and that my marketing preferences are altered. I slso asked that they credit me for the cost of the calls I was making to put things right and demanded this was all confirmed in writing within 7 days, or I would be informing Trading Standards and any other interested parties.

I have also called Travel Steps (Pressplay) who said that I should have had various things explained properly (including the company status with respect to IW) - but then they would wouldn't they?

And they also confirmed that they would cancel my "membership" and inform me in writing that this had been done.

*sigh*

Fingers crossed....

I got my phone call yesterday - chap said he was calling on behalf of Ideal World re the Travel Club - I told him I wasn't interested straight away and I hung up. I think he got the message! But it's very annoying.

They`ve called me twice now.I did ask if they were Ideal world and the woman said yes.She asked how I`d liked my last purchase before offering me this holiday club `deal`I said I`d read about this scam online and hung up.

I too have been recently caught out by this trick. The call I received I believed was from Ideal World. I tried to cancel it almost immediately but was told I couldn't as it "wasn't on the system yet". I would not be able to cancel until I had received my paperwork.

I find this kind of misleading behaviour disgusting!
The girl I spoke to at IW c/s said she didn't agree with travel steps business behaviour and urged me to complain about it to IW. She said she thought the more that people complained the more would be done about it.

I too wonder if it would be worth contacting Watchdog.
My dear OH found a lot of info on the internet on other forums etc over the weekend concerning this "company" having had leads from other companies such as music/dvd Cos.
It's time this sort of business practice was stopped!!

So far not had this call from IW but did have it via a DVD company

This sort of 'contact' should be stopped

I never tick boxes for the 'extras' but in sone cases you have to tick to deselect, so this trick catches people out too

Latest posts

Back