Postage and packing.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They are mentioning the p&p more in the last few days. Craig did yesterday and Kathy has just mentioned it today (plus your postage and packing, she said). She's had that nasty hacking cough for ages don't you think?

about time too! The p&p seems to have really gone up recently. It's certainly making me think twice before buying anything.

Looking at the QVC German website they seem to have one standard cost of 5.95 euros and you can club items together in one order. You can even add to that order later if it hasn't been processed yet and you haven't paid by credit card. If it's a heavy, bulky item, the cost goes up considerably to 19.95 euros.
If they have a system that allows multiple items per order, it must be possible for QVC UK to do the same.
Just checked the USA site and they seem to be similar to the UK.

How come QVC can send a £2500+ ring to you for £3.45 and then a £12 mascara for £5? I don't get it :31: And would that ring still be sent in a rubbishy padded envelope via 2nd class snail mail?

I would suggest that it costs more than they charge to send the ring and less to send the mascara, and so the excess from the mascara goes to pay the shortfall on the ring. I know they're not supposed to make a profit on the P&P and I think this could be what they're doing.

It doesn't excuse how poorly packed some items are though. Items in padded bags that are quite clearly crushable and large boxes which have one tiny piece of tape holding them shut. I've had things arrive with no sealing at all.

I thought QVC were supposed to be covering the postal strikes too. Nothing has arrived here at all. Not happy.

Also, how is it that something that arrives via 2nd class mail has to be sent back via special delivery because of its value? Do QVC have special insurance to cover this?

And a final point - I notice on their returns slips that it says "for items over £200 use a signed for service". The post office will not accept that! They always ask if there are items of value and if it's significantly over £39 they won't take it via normal post and they won't take jewellery on anything other than (expensive) special delivery.

Last edited:
I think it also makes you put more thought into whether to buy or not. If p & p was a lot lower people would send more thing back as there's less to lose. If p & p is £4 or £5 I do take into consideration that I will lose that if I send something back just because I don't like it or have changed my mind.
I agree that you might be right, BB. However, wouldn't it be fairer then to have more reasonable p&p and add a 'retunrns processing fee' or something like that, so that you still would have the incentive not to abuse the mbg but without penalizing everybody?

I think that anything bought on telly or over the net should be priced so that the p and p is part of the item price.

After all, you cannot turn up on the doorstep and offer to take the goods away yourself...

My sister used to work for their call centre and I still had to pay the p& p!

But do you think that their excessive postage rates are because they are allowing people to try everything on a 30 day money back guarantee. I suppose if you think about the amount of cosmetics people try and then send back (when they then can't seel them again) and other items they then have to sell at a discounted price, they have to add the charge in there somewhere?

Yes I agree with you. I think the P & P is to make you think before you order, if they were charging say £1 P & P for a smallish item lots of people would buy thinking they were only losing a couple of quid if they return it. However £3.50 P & P makes you think will you want to keep the item so you are less likely to buy then return it.

Someone on here pointed out the number of reviews where people slate an item but say they didn't bother to return it due to the P & P and the hassle. Crazy but it reduces QVC's returns.

I agree that you might be right, BB. However, wouldn't it be fairer then to have more reasonable p&p and add a 'retunrns processing fee' or something like that, so that you still would have the incentive not to abuse the mbg but without penalizing everybody?

But would they still be able to use the term "our 30 day unconditional money back guarantee"?:smirk:

I think they must get a lot of people buying on impulse thinking they can send things back and maybe they think returns fees or the like would put people off. Of course fair probably doesn't come into the equation as it's all about making as much money as they can.

Latest posts

Back