Abi Cleeve

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The cosmetic industry is all about selling a dream. If any of the products really worked then every other brand would be out of business. There would only be one product sold that is it.

Allure the US beauty magazine has banned the use of the word anti ageing in their magazine. Nothing will stop everyone from ageing.

Helen Mirran recently at a beauty event for L'Oreal who she is the face of one of theirs. Was asked,"Does it work?" The face cream. Helen said,"Its a f8cking moisturiser. Who knows? " Now Helen has had a face lift some years back so does look good for being 70+ and is open about having it done.

I have good hands(I was told that recently), but its just years of washing them and putting on hand cream. Rubber gloves for doing dishes. That's it. By no stretch are they models hand, just normal ones.

The cosmetic industry is all about selling a dream. If any of the products really worked then every other brand would be out of business. There would only be one product sold that is it.

Allure the US beauty magazine has banned the use of the word anti ageing in their magazine. Nothing will stop everyone from ageing.

Helen Mirran recently at a beauty event for L'Oreal who she is the face of one of theirs. Was asked,"Does it work?" The face cream. Helen said,"Its a f8cking moisturiser. Who knows? " Now Helen has had a face lift some years back so does look good for being 70+ and is open about having it done.

A bit of honesty goes a long way.

I watch Trinny (of Trinny and Susannah fame) on you tube. She is quite open about having Botox on a regular basis. She's very entertaining, I think, and you tube and facebook live are perfect for her freewheeling style. QVC were always so nervous when she and Susannah were on, terrified of what they would say next.

experts just want your cash. qvc bring out a new range by the hour. and there will be people buying every single range as its available. you can imagine how many hundreds of pounds that is each year. my skin has just started to need an extra layer of a fine oil. tried a few loved the l'occitane one but its the best part of £100. for 30ml. boots do botanics smoothing facial oil for a couple of pounds its superb
I like deciem oils, they are natural, pure, cold pressed and inexpensive, tried the L'Occitane one in 4 ml sample and I still have some left - it didn't do much for me.
http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-100pct-organic-cold-pressed-moroccan-argan-oil-30ml

Buckthorn oil is the king imo and has healing properties too, Sibu is the good brand to buy from, I get mine on Amazon if anyone is interested.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IU9HI0/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

I like deciem oils, they are natural, pure, cold pressed and inexpensive, tried the L'Occitane one in 4 ml sample and I still have some left - it didn't do much for me.
http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-100pct-organic-cold-pressed-moroccan-argan-oil-30ml

Buckthorn oil is the king imo and has healing properties too, Sibu is the good brand to buy from, I get mine on Amazon if anyone is interested.

Out of interest, what is your experience with Seabuckthorn oil?

I need to try something different on my arms (keratotis pilaris sufferer, plus I've picked at the bumps and they aren't healing). But I'm very interested to know what you have found the oil effective for on the face.

Out of interest, what is your experience with Seabuckthorn oil?

I need to try something different on my arms (keratotis pilaris sufferer, plus I've picked at the bumps and they aren't healing). But I'm very interested to know what you have found the oil effective for on the face.
It's hard to describe maymorganlondon, it just takes the skin on a new level, for me it's like NIOD of the oils if this makes sense. The two main things I noticed, is that it's very moisturising to the point of filling or un-creasing the fine lines and also fine lines around the eyes. The other thing I noticed is that it calms the skin overnight. And it slightly lightens the skin. It penetrates the skin very well too, and it is possible to use it as a day moisturiser as well as at night. I remember when I used it first it was a Wow in the morning.
But as good as it is, I still forget to use it consistently, as trying to use my existing skincare.

Going off piste a bit here, as my attention was alerted with the word GUNK !

Wont get too graphic, but having recently needed my ears syringing, and as the Surgery tend not to make an appointment unless there is at least a week's worth of ear oil inside the cavity, I did the necessary. Long story, but then the Surgery said they had suspended doing ear syringing. This resulted in me paying privately to have it done - beware it was £150 PER EAR ! anyway, to the credit of the Consultant, he did the deed and said a lot of the problem was the GUNK left by the ear oil. He said that WATER in the ear is the biggest cause of wax (didn't know that !), so never get water from swimming or hair washing and one's ears should be forever free of wax. And am loathe to putting any form of oil in my ears ever again - the word GUNK did it for me !

experts just want your cash. qvc bring out a new range by the hour. and there will be people buying every single range as its available. you can imagine how many hundreds of pounds that is each year. my skin has just started to need an extra layer of a fine oil. tried a few loved the l'occitane one but its the best part of £100. for 30ml. boots do botanics smoothing facial oil for a couple of pounds its superb

Totally agree! One of the biggest jokes is the Miccellar Water. I use Nivea and got it on sale for under £2 and it's really really good! The big brands sell them and some are 10 x this amount! The profit for these brands must be HUGE! :mysmilie_48:

Totally agree! One of the biggest jokes is the Miccellar Water. I use Nivea and got it on sale for under £2 and it's really really good! The big brands sell them and some are 10 x this amount! The profit for these brands must be HUGE! :mysmilie_48:

Funny you should say that. I've been using Garnier's micellar water (pink top and label). I tried a small bottle for 99 pence first from Home Bargains and was pleasantly surprised how much make up and grime it removed, and it doesn't leave my skin with that tight feeling.

More and more now I watch Q just to see the latest trends in skin care & make-up but then go shopping elsewhere, the DHS or on-line. I've noticed that the ordinary ranges in Boots, SuperDrug and even Aldi soon catch up with the prest -eeee-jus brands with things like the micellar water, serums, elixirs etc.

Yes, this one is good too! The prices the big brands charge seem way over the top!

I have used many brands over the years and I am now using a Nivea Night Cream and it leaves my skin very soft and supple! It costs around £4 and it's now my fav cream!

Going off piste a bit here, as my attention was alerted with the word GUNK !

Wont get too graphic, but having recently needed my ears syringing, and as the Surgery tend not to make an appointment unless there is at least a week's worth of ear oil inside the cavity, I did the necessary. Long story, but then the Surgery said they had suspended doing ear syringing. This resulted in me paying privately to have it done - beware it was £150 PER EAR ! anyway, to the credit of the Consultant, he did the deed and said a lot of the problem was the GUNK left by the ear oil. He said that WATER in the ear is the biggest cause of wax (didn't know that !), so never get water from swimming or hair washing and one's ears should be forever free of wax. And am loathe to putting any form of oil in my ears ever again - the word GUNK did it for me !

At our surgery they always advise using olive oil to soften the hard wax before ear syringing (or irrigating, as they tend to call it these days). They say that the branded ear drops like Earex often do more harm than good.

I think so many of us get a build up of wax these days as a result of the ear trying to protect itself from headphones and earbud type music players (and, for the oldies mainly, hearing aids).

i don't have many skin concerns genetics from my mother. but like most people i need to moisturise and protect. mid fifties so need an oil rather than a serum to help the day cream do its job. as i believe serums can have a lot of ingredients which i am trying to avoid,

funny thing is today i was in lidl and i bought a night cream with argon oil for £3 smells lovely and the texture will suit me. its quite cold weatherise and i want/need the comfort. i like high end brands but not just for the heck of it. it has to work and no break outs :clapping:

I have good hands(I was told that recently), but its just years of washing them and putting on hand cream. Rubber gloves for doing dishes. That's it. By no stretch are they models hand, just normal ones.

i can't remember what they say the are calling anti ageing products now. i was reading about it in a magazine. smacks of sour grapes to me ...finally the beauty industry are facing facts. anti ageing creams and potions can't stop ageing. our generation have grown up with the terminology and the great lie that it is. you put creams/oils/serums for comfort and radiance. other than that its a con

They are so wedded to the word "anti" that they move on to another fear... Anti-pollution.

Skincare can help, but if your genetics, diet and lifestyle are against you the effects will fall short of the implied miracles.

Latest posts

Back