"Blue diamond jewellery for under £10!" Well, sort of...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

E

Enigma

Guest Shopper
I've noticed TJC has been selling coloured diamond jewellery (normally blue) for a while now at stupidly low prices, but for the life of me I have never seen any jewels, just a (normally silver) piece coloured cobalt blue.

Well, for their birthday celebrations Cris St. Valery is on with Deepak, and they have on a pair of "blue diamond" silver climber earrings, and a "blue diamond" silver pendant with chain for £9.99 each. And again it just looks like coloured metal.

Cris has just fleetingly admitted that this is basically what each piece is; they allegedly have a couple of tiny blue diamonds in each, and the rest is blue coloured rhodium plate.

Now, if these were sold as coloured rhodium plated silver pieces of jewellery then fine. But it smacks of sleight-of-hand to market something as being "blue diamond" jewellery when they are minuscule stones surrounded by coloured metal to simulate more/bigger stones.

For £9.99 your not going to get a carat of diamonds are you. Technically they are correct it is blue diamond jewellery.

Isn't setting them into coloured rhodium the same as setting white diamonds into an illusion setting, just to make the stones look bigger and more of.

I don't expect anything else from TJC these days. What with all the gold overlay.

To be fair they have always done it.I remember their £10 diamond earings,a tiny diamond chip set in loads of rhodium. I recall Chloe going into overdrive about what an absolute bargain they were. Maybe ,but to me its throwaway jewellery.

They are within the law, I guess, if it contains even a single, tiny, blue diamond, and (as someone's already said) you are hardly likely to get much for under a tenner, are you? So Cris St Valery has been on with Deepak.....why don't they just let Deepak and Amit hog the screens the whole time now, and sack the presenters? I would be chewing my feet if I were a presenter, it's just humiliation that there are 2 of them on there flogging cheap items of jewellery. It comes over as though they don't trust the presenters to do the job on their own, so they have to 'supervise' them. Why? What's the idea behind it? Most viewers would, I'd think, find it intensely irritating to have this happening day after day. And how the presenters can stand there like a spare part I know not.

For £9.99 your not going to get a carat of diamonds are you. Technically they are correct it is blue diamond jewellery.

Isn't setting them into coloured rhodium the same as setting white diamonds into an illusion setting, just to make the stones look bigger and more of.

I wouldn't expect to. But when the coloured metalwork is outweighing the diamond content by Lord knows what extent (plus the fact you'd be hard pressed to spot the stones with the naked eye, a feat neither Cris nor Deepak attempted) is a bit of a push calling it "diamond jewellery".

Maybe other people are OK with this, but if I'm going to buy diamond jewellery, or anything with stones in it, I want it to be something I and others can see. Not "Well it's somewhere there in the blue rhodium plate".

Can feel your frustration Enigma .The way I look at it , I know its a rip off so I won't buy it.Its sounds like you won't either.

Other people seem to be OK with it because they sell a lot of them. As has been said they are within the law and if people who buy are not happy it's up to them to complain.

Most shopping channels have selling techniques that convince you to buy even against your better judgement which is why I don't buy much now.

As far as Deepak and Amit are concerned it seems a bit desperate to drag them on constantly and sideline the presenters.Im surprised Chloe has not walked. If they are buyers ,why are they not off trying to get better quality gems instead of the low grade stuff they are mostly selling .

I wouldn't expect to. But when the coloured metalwork is outweighing the diamond content by Lord knows what extent (plus the fact you'd be hard pressed to spot the stones with the naked eye, a feat neither Cris nor Deepak attempted) is a bit of a push calling it "diamond jewellery".

I'm guessing these are heavily-treated/enhanced blue diamond accent stones? They're usually quite nasty looking.

I'm guessing these are heavily-treated/enhanced blue diamond accent stones? They're usually quite nasty looking.

I haven't a clue, because neither Cris nor Deepak pointed out any of the stones on the jewellery!

Many gem stones are heat treated and this is rarely pointed out .The only person I've heard talking about it is John Scott.

That is very true. There are also gem pieces they have sold that should be kept out of direct sunlight because the stones can be affected; Vicky was on ages ago and was banging on about how jewellery made from a stone I'd never heard of "would be perfect to take on that summer holiday", and when I looked the stone up online it said sunlight basically bleaches the colour out!

The only time I've heard TJC mention stones being treated was in a topaz show ages ago, because they were making a huge deal about how marvellous the clear Brazilian topaz was that they'd treated

This is it exactly - if you have the money, or are willing to save up, you want a piece that you can see without a jewellers loupe to find it and a decent quality diamond. If you know it will be difficult to ever afford a piece like this, then there's a place for this type of jewellery, they give people the pleasure of having at least a tiny chip in the piece that's a fancy coloured diamond. But for this price, it's probably going to be a poor quality diamond and of course it will be treated. In fairness, TJC are not the only ones who are not very outspoken about the diamonds being treated - I'd always recommend that if anyone buys a piece from Gemporia, they click on the "Details" tab for the piece and scroll down, to find out if it's treated. There's also a section on their website under "gem treatments", but the presenters do not always mention this when they sell a piece; the only two who would mention it regularly were Scott Worsfold and Liv Edmonds. Personally, I think they should mention it with every piece - after all, they are very speedy to tell you (and keep harping on it) if the stone is a natural gemstone, so why not the other way round? I think they should also mention it on the authenticity card, too. There's no need for them to go into great detail on-air of what it entails to treat a gemstone.

Maybe other people are OK with this, but if I'm going to buy diamond jewellery, or anything with stones in it, I want it to be something I and others can see. Not "Well it's somewhere there in the blue rhodium plate".

I actually mentioned something similar on Gemporia's FB page after seeing a particular open gallery tanzanite ring get sold on screen, and I was wondering if they would tell the buyers that this was not a recommended setting to such a fragile stone (and it was never mentioned in the sales patter on air). All they would say was "We give aftercare info on looking after stones". Which is lovely, but surely warning about tanzanite's relative fragility (and in such an open ring setting) should have been mentioned up front?

Latest posts

Back