Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What constitutes a hard sell?

It seems to be a term that gets thrown out there, like they are not meant to do their job and tell people to buy the things that are on screen...

I'm not condoning the fact that they use verbal diarrhoea to do it, but just wondered what is the acceptable level of 'sell'

It is Mid October and it is one of the hottest October days for a long time....

And Ideal currently have a heating show on...

Peter (he is a massive fan says Jo) and an increasingly manic and over talkative Joanne.

Sadly Joanne has already "forgot" she told us all earlier in the summer on the fisher heating shows she did they had saved her loads of money and were a joy to deal with.

She has just told us her bills have " never been higher"......

£350 for a ceramic radiator and the hard sell to the old and the people who worry

I hope they sleep well at night I would not

I'm sure they sleep very well, they've had enough practice.

Fair point

For one saying it IS going to be a very cold winter with no sources whatsoever (Peter said remember last year over and over)

For me a hard sell is anything that applies pressure. Guessing at forecasts is that for me anyway

Fair point

For one saying it IS going to be a very cold winter with no sources whatsoever (Peter said remember last year over and over)

For me a hard sell is anything that applies pressure. Guessing at forecasts is that for me anyway

But people can switch over at any time. People talk as if they are literally stood over them... I believe it has been likened to someone in an elderly persons house selling double glazing and it's not even close to that.

I've walked in on one being in my house, sat with my mum and it's insulting to say it's like Peter Simon talking nonsense on a tv screen.

I'm not saying they are not shady, I've said that they are on numerous occasions (I agree the peddling of cold winters is simply shameful for example)… there is 700 pages of me slagging them off haha.

Just theorising out loud I suppose. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I just can't believe all the baloney that this pair of shysters are spouting about those ceramic radiators!! Do they take us all for fools? All the phony excitement. Aren't they amazing, blah blah blah.

it's a 1200 watt heater for god's sake. Nothing special at all!!! The mind boggles!!!

But they said "it doesn't overheat the room. when it gets up to temperature, it switches off"

I thought that was called a thermostat, as on my bulk-standard £10 convector heater.

But in any case, there is a flaw in their logic.

One moment they said it switches off at the room temperature you set.

The next moment, they are saying, even when it is switched off, it just keeps getting hotter and hotter.

But people can switch over at any time. People talk as if they are literally stood over them... I believe it has been likened to someone in an elderly persons house selling double glazing and it's not even close to that.

I've walked in on one being in my house, sat with my mum and it's insulting to say it's like Peter Simon talking nonsense on a tv screen.

Well, it was me that said that. What I meant was, it is the same attitude...."if you don't buy right now, you miss out on this super duper price we are offering" It is the same kind of tactic that you need to open your wallet/purse right there and then. I know you can switch over, but some elderly people may well want to buy something, but hear all about the pro's and cons first. So you have to sit through people like Becque (spelling?) coming right up to the camera. It's vile. But fine if you disagree with me :)

The thing is, they do have some genuine bargains. Just tell people what things do well, why it is the best in it's class or whatever, and then let them make a purchase if they want.

Instead they insist on trying to scare people with talk of the coldest winters ever. Or implying the iPad 3 is the latest version and you'd be a dummy to miss out. That if you buy one you'll be just like your friends (who probably own a version that can be updated!)

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth!

I have commented on this you can switch off comment before the whole point of giving your opinion of something is to watch and then comment on the forum however i have commented enough and will not say comment again :mysmilie_11:

But one thing i can comment on is that as someone who has installed many heaters of all kinds there is nothing special about ceramic heaters.

Well, it was me that said that. What I meant was, it is the same attitude...."if you don't buy right now, you miss out on this super duper price we are offering" It is the same kind of tactic that you need to open your wallet/purse right there and then. I know you can switch over, but some elderly people may well want to buy something, but hear all about the pro's and cons first. So you have to sit through people like Becque (spelling?) coming right up to the camera. It's vile. But fine if you disagree with me :)

The thing is, they do have some genuine bargains. Just tell people what things do well, why it is the best in it's class or whatever, and then let them make a purchase if they want.

Instead they insist on trying to scare people with talk of the coldest winters ever. Or implying the iPad 3 is the latest version and you'd be a dummy to miss out. That if you buy one you'll be just like your friends (who probably own a version that can be updated!)

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth!

I've not at any point disagreed that it is vile, I just don't feel it is remotely the same as someone actually being in the house and refusing to leave.

I have commented on this you can switch off comment before the whole point of giving your opinion of something is to watch and then comment on the forum however i have commented enough and will not say comment again :mysmilie_11:

That's not how I meant it at all and you know it.

It's clear I meant in the context that people can literally walk off, in a way that they probably couldn't if a man twice their size was actually in their house and actually using intimidation tactics.

I agree that selly telly's ultimate goal is to make you feel like you are buying from your "friends", but again, friends you can theoretically get away from in the moment.

I've been here for 5 years, talking about the same people on the same channels and they all still manage to get work despite the obvious deficiencies we point out. What really is the point.

I've been here for 5 years, talking about the same people on the same channels and they all still manage to get work despite the obvious deficiencies we point out. What really is the point.

You could say that about a lot of things people do (me included)

If you enjoy it keep posting

Richard Mire has a rare night away from the drone screens

Adam who has been a guest then in the background more times than I have had hot dinners is back yet again as the "expert"

Happened to watch a tech hour on QVC this morning. I think a tablet is their TSV. The guy, Lee, wow what a difference to IW 'tech expert Volauvent'. No suitcase, no cheesy 'buy this' grin. He was smart, informative and held this non techie's interest far longer than normal. I think he's lovely!

Think so

I remember after he did a guest stint earlier this year them saying he was going back in the background

that didn't last long

I question why they need a "guest" on a lot of these shows, they are on so often the presenters should have a decent handle on the product by now. Pay the presenters half the guests fee and tell them to become confident in the product if they are not already, saves another load of money

Think so

I remember after he did a guest stint earlier this year them saying he was going back in the background

that didn't last long

I question why they need a "guest" on a lot of these shows, they are on so often the presenters should have a decent handle on the product by now. Pay the presenters half the guests fee and tell them to become confident in the product if they are not already, saves another load of money

Maybe looks more impressive to new watchers?

I know it's sure not impressive to us :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back