"its a penny...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stunning!

Registered Shopper
I am always amazed by how they can be shocked at an item going for a penny (plus the usual extras...) you really would think that the watching customers would get the message that its real crap and not worth "a buy" as the presenters say....but they always sell out so what do i know...!:mysmilie_11:

I think what annoys me the most is the fact that the presenters know exactly how much each product is going to sell for.
The shocked faces, excitement and statements of losing shirts are so clearly false. In fact, the whole charade is quite insulting to the viewers IMO.

If i took peter simon literally, i'd be mistaken for thinking bid risk going bankrupt everytime he is on

I know this is a strange notion but he might actually be telling the truth, they still don't appear to have submitted their accounts :mysmilie_59:

I know this is a strange notion but he might actually be telling the truth, they still don't appear to have submitted their accounts :mysmilie_59:

Im convinced they make more money than qvc, what with making a tenner on a poundland item

They're not obligated to, they're a private company, owned by a public investment firm (Aurelius).
That said, I think Aurelius did publish some very, very abridged recent accounts for Bid Shopping, and they were losing money.

It's drop in the bucket for them, at least that's the impression I got when I scan-read the document.

Im convinced they make more money than qvc, what with making a tenner on a poundland item

You're dead right there Mr Tom, it was only a jokey comment I made about Dirty Peter.

The mark up on certain items must be staggering, we know it certainly is on Laurelle.

They're not obligated to, they're a private company, owned by a public investment firm (Aurelius).
That said, I think Aurelius did publish some very, very abridged recent accounts for Bid Shopping, and they were losing money.

It's drop in the bucket for them, at least that's the impression I got when I scan-read the document.

Would that be losing money in the Starbucks sense? :mysmilie_19:

I couldn't see how they could not make buckets of money given the mark up but what do I know?

The last accounts I could find were for 2007 which were pre-tax profits of 4.6 m on a turnover of 237m.-not exactly a sparkling performance.

Last edited:
It would appear that Aurelius are no longer the major shareholder-here's a press release;

New investor for Sit-Up TV

Munich, July 2012 - The Munich-based AURELIUS Group (ISIN DE000A0JK2A8) is selling a majority stake of british Sit-Up Group. to a strategic investor. Due to the entry of this investor via capital increase, AURELIUS’ shareholding in Great Britain’s second-biggest home-shopping provider has fallen under about 20%. Sit-Up will therefore be deconsolidated by the end of July 2012.

It would appear that Aurelius are no longer the major shareholder-here's a press release;

New investor for Sit-Up TV

Munich, July 2012 - The Munich-based AURELIUS Group (ISIN DE000A0JK2A8) is selling a majority stake of british Sit-Up Group. to a strategic investor. Due to the entry of this investor via capital increase, AURELIUS’ shareholding in Great Britain’s second-biggest home-shopping provider has fallen under about 20%. Sit-Up will therefore be deconsolidated by the end of July 2012.

I read that too Aqua but couldn't find anything more about it so didn't know if it went ahead, if it did maybe it was a staff buyout?

It would certainly explain why they are such committed bullshitters :mysmilie_19:

I read that too Aqua but couldn't find anything more about it so didn't know if it went ahead, if it did maybe it was a staff buyout?

It would certainly explain why they are such committed bullshitters :mysmilie_19:

Perhaps they paid a penny for it - Plus extras of course!

.....Going back to the matter of the stock they sell for a penny - whatever it may be, the cheapest you'll pay is £8. You can pick up the sort of thing they churn out for 1p in town anyway not even in a sale, poundstretcher sell fleece throws, cheap toiletries, cheap bedding etc for that kind of price - and you're not running home to your significant other shouting "guess what? - I've picked up a fleece blanket for a fiver?"...."Oh, and two heart shaped ramekins for £8- amazing bargain eh?" Yes, I'm not denying how handy it is to get the stuff delivered to your door, but if there was any problem with it, it would be too costly in time and money to try and rectify it - even if you were entitled to a full refund of postage both ways. Other than that as said many times before, they know that nobody's going to be bothered returning anything just to get a penny back - Great way of shifting stock they're having trouble getting rid of!

Perhaps they paid a penny for it - Plus extras of course!

.....Going back to the matter of the stock they sell for a penny - whatever it may be, the cheapest you'll pay is £8. You can pick up the sort of thing they churn out for 1p in town anyway not even in a sale, poundstretcher sell fleece throws, cheap toiletries, cheap bedding etc for that kind of price - and you're not running home to your significant other shouting "guess what? - I've picked up a fleece blanket for a fiver?"...."Oh, and two heart shaped ramekins for £8- amazing bargain eh?" Yes, I'm not denying how handy it is to get the stuff delivered to your door, but if there was any problem with it, it would be too costly in time and money to try and rectify it - even if you were entitled to a full refund of postage both ways. Other than that as said many times before, they know that nobody's going to be bothered returning anything just to get a penny back - Great way of shifting stock they're having trouble getting rid of!

It goes back to the old chestnut Merry. Sell complete crap for even less than it's worth but with extortionate p+p and when the buyer realises it's crap they won't be arsed returning it to get a 1p refund.

Kerching! It's so simple it's genius :mysmilie_19: I guess the only downside is the perhaps more discerning viewers might be forgiven for thinking only a bunch of shysters would do that but it's clear many people couldn't care less.

Case in point. Frump is selling an LED Tree Topper but for 49p, she said 'it's crazy, it's scandalous, I don't get that, we can't even get a packet of crisps in our vending machine for that'.

Cazza, can you get a bag for £8.48? Or £10.01? Shameful Frump.

It goes back to the old chestnut Merry. Sell complete crap for even less than it's worth but with extortionate p+p and when the buyer realises it's crap they won't be arsed returning it to get a 1p refund.

Kerching! It's so simple it's genius :mysmilie_19: I guess the only downside is the perhaps more discerning viewers might be forgiven for thinking only a bunch of shysters would do that but it's clear many people couldn't care less.

Case in point. Frump is selling an LED Tree Topper but for 49p, she said 'it's crazy, it's scandalous, I don't get that, we can't even get a packet of crisps in our vending machine for that'.

Cazza, can you get a bag for £8.48? Or £10.01? Shameful Frump.

Yeah, totally! And even if I found a tree topper for 49p in the highstreet I wouldn't be "that" excited!

If there had been an MBO one would have expected a formal announcement and press release, but as you say nothing has appeared so maybe it fell through.

If there had been an MBO one would have expected a formal announcement and press release, but as you say nothing has appeared so maybe it fell through.

Maybe, having said that Aurelius don't seem to have spoken much (if at all) about Sit-Up since that announcement, their logo has disappeared from the Aurelius website as well (as far as I could see anyway).

I wish I could afford to buy it, my goodness I would wield an axe on the trash and I don't just mean the cheap stinks! :mysmilie_13:

Latest posts

Back